Hill

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
I don't follow the recruiting scene much, and I'm too lazy to look it up. What position is Marquise Hill? Is he one of the more highly regarded recruits coming in? Thanks in advance.

Bryant Allen 2.0

Although I'm not sure if he can bank 3-pointers

He's a stud wide reciever (by our standards). Probably the only incoming freshman on offense besides the RBs that has the potential to make an immediate impact.

He's a stud wide reciever (by our standards). Probably the only incoming freshman on offense besides the RBs that has the potential to make an immediate impact.

Although I hate the idea, what about Jimmy Gjere? He could probably handle playing guard this year. Not that it's ideal, but just for argument sake.

Not redshirting Gjere would be a huge mistake, imo.

Not redshirting Gjere would be a huge mistake, imo.

I agree totally. In fact, I strongly suggest redshirting any and all true frosh we can get by without; Yes, even the RBs. Not even sure using Bryan Allen last year was a good thing. Wilhite, Watkins and Olsen/Michels are examples of the benefits of Redshirting. Watkins definitely could have played last year and probably would have excelled, but we did not NEED (definite outcome changes with use) him, so we waited and probably have a multiyear starter now.

Even when Frosh are really good like Carter, they need the strength and physical development typically to withstand Big Ten pounding. However, you end up with situations in which we allow the skilled players to write checks that their ass can not cash, so to speak. BUT, sometimes the situation requires them to play.

I'd consider playing Gjere. The OL is so terrible that I don't see how they can sit any talented player. Alford and Stommes were not good enough last year. Maybe someone like Michel can take over for them, but it was so bad last year that I don't know Brewster can justify a redshirt, especially since this might be his last year with a bad season.

gjere will play this year.

if he doesn't, then i will deny i ever said this.

I'd consider playing Gjere. The OL is so terrible that I don't see how they can sit any talented player. Alford and Stommes were not good enough last year. Maybe someone like Michel can take over for them, but it was so bad last year that I don't know Brewster can justify a redshirt, especially since this might be his last year with a bad season.

Why in the world would you want to fire Cosgrove? He and Lee are our best coordinators. One thing for sure; if the oline is not better than last year, we are screwed. And frankly, a clear sign of us being certified screwed is a True FROSH lineman burning his shirt.

The Oline should be better. for every reason. If they are not, big trouble. I didn't say great for some of you selective readers.

I don't think Gjere plays this year. We have Michel and Olsen coming up, and, by all indications, they will push the current starters. Gjere is a talent, but he needs to learn the college game, add bulk, and learn our system. If he were here in the Spring it'd be a different story. Like ChemEGopher said, playing him this year would be a mistake, IMO of course.

Why in the world would you want to fire Cosgrove? He and Lee are our best coordinators. One thing for sure; if the oline is not better than last year, we are screwed. And frankly, a clear sign of us being certified screwed is a True FROSH lineman burning his shirt.

There are exceptions; Mark Setterstrom and Greg Esslinger both started as true frosh. If Gjere is better than what we have, he starts.

Man is that an overstatement. There are some true frosh lineman that are just that good and can step in right away. Now if we were doing that all the time, then your statement may be a little more true. But that hasn't happened. Almost all lineman brought in the past few years have redshirted.

Hil, is an athletic freak and according to Dr. Miller a Missouri sports doctor and respected poster accross the street at www.gopherillustrated.com who´s been around both players, Hill is much more athletic than Bryant Allen.

Hill could have gone to a much bigger name school if he would have agreed to play DB, but he was determined to play WR, so Brew offerred him that opportunity. So, he´ll start off at WR and get a fair shot. That said, I wouldn´t be shocked if we see him dip his feet in the water at DB a bit in practice and take a few reps, then once he realizes he´s 4th string at WR, but could be playing immediately at DB we see a full crossover a la Rashede Hageman.

Gjere needs to red shirt and the OL will be much better this year. The OL, anchored by 4 SR´s will be the surprise of the season in fact.

Hil, is an athletic freak and according to Dr. Miller a Missouri sports doctor and respected poster accross the street at www.gopherillustrated.com who´s been around both players, Hill is much more athletic than Bryant Allen.

Hill could have gone to a much bigger name school if he would have agreed to play DB, but he was determined to play WR, so Brew offerred him that opportunity. So, he´ll start off at WR and get a fair shot. That said, I wouldn´t be shocked if we see him dip his feet in the water at DB a bit in practice and take a few reps, then once he realizes he´s 4th string at WR, but could be playing immediately at DB we see a full crossover a la Rashede Hageman.

Gjere needs to red shirt and the OL will be much better this year. The OL, anchored by 4 SR´s will be the surprise of the season in fact.

Interesting on the Hill to DB take. It would really help us out the next few years, but I still like his potential with the ball in his hands. If nothing else, he's going to be a very nice option in the return game this year. Man I'd love to see the Stoudemire, Allen, and Hill types we have get a handful of carries on quick reverses and wing sweep type plays every game, Oregon State runs the fly sweep as a base package in their pro offense and it works great. Alot of fun to watch too.

I had never heard of the fly offense. I had to google it. We ran what we called jet off of various looks, and it is cool that there is an offense based on this concept.

Man is that an overstatement. There are some true frosh lineman that are just that good and can step in right away. Now if we were doing that all the time, then your statement may be a little more true. But that hasn't happened. Almost all lineman brought in the past few years have redshirted.

Don't get me wrong, I know and acknowledge that there are exceptions to every rule, but I am speaking of our present situation and am not down on Gjere's skill or talent. I in fact am very high on him and want to see him have a true opportunity to build up Big Ten mass to support that Big Ten frame. Edwards and Kirksey will give him plenty taste of what it is like to play. But my point essentially is that we must take advantage of our maturity on the Oline of we will not be able to bridge the gap against the high end opponents we will host at The Bank this year. We must control clock and score points on the ground. Big strong and experienced Oline can help get that done; Typically that is not going to happen with FROSH. In fact, FROSH get schooled on the most part.

Oline is an extremely physical and demanding position. Why toss a true frosh out there to be destroyed or at best barely hang when we have, I believe, better than serviceable guys that are experienced and a few that are actually well above average who are much stronger as well. So, my point is the seniors need to get it done if we are going to have success which I do believe will occur. IMHO of course.

Interesting on the Hill to DB take. It would really help us out the next few years, but I still like his potential with the ball in his hands. If nothing else, he's going to be a very nice option in the return game this year. Man I'd love to see the Stoudemire, Allen, and Hill types we have get a handful of carries on quick reverses and wing sweep type plays every game, Oregon State runs the fly sweep as a base package in their pro offense and it works great. Alot of fun to watch too.

I believe that Coach Brewster and the staff are anxscious as well to see Hill display his athletic skills on offense and in the kicking game. In all likelihood, Hill will play this year even though him, Hayo and Allen will bring similar skill sets. However, like Allen, I am concerned about Hill's size but admittedly, there are plenty of small freakish athletes like this that are very effective getting it done in Big Time Football. Hill is at least advertised and evaluated out of HS as Special.

Hill had as good of an offer list as anyone we recruited last year. He could be special, if a little undersized. I too think he may end up at DB. Just a feeling.

[/B]

There are exceptions; Mark Setterstrom and Greg Esslinger both started as true frosh. If Gjere is better than what we have, he starts.

exactly.

don't want to hijack, but if you are good enough to play in the AAA game, then you are good enough to push dominic alford for playing time.

but of course, we will have to wait and see how he does when he suits up.

exactly.

don't want to hijack, but if you are good enough to play in the AAA game, then you are good enough to push dominic alford for playing time.

Alford was hurt a lot of last year, and yet he was still one of our best linemen.

Also, i would be surprised if Gjere doesnt end up at guard.

Alford was hurt a lot of last year, and yet he was still one of our best linemen.

Also, i would be surprised if Gjere doesnt end up at guard.

A 6'7 OG, eh? No thanks.

I've heard all the same excuses for the OL every single year. Player X will get better because he is another year older, added weight/strength, more experience, etc. Yet the same individuals continue to stink.

I'd rather play a talented true freshman than a below average junior/senior.

off the top of my head....Eric Steinbach, Mike Wahle, Leonard Davis, Alan Faneca, Steve Hutchinson etc.. are all tall guards that seem to have done just ok.

A 6'7 OG, eh? No thanks.

I've heard all the same excuses for the OL every single year. Player X will get better because he is another year older, added weight/strength, more experience, etc. Yet the same individuals continue to stink.

OK, but be prepared for plenty of Losses then. Its called a developmental youth movement. And its not going to happen unless the Gophers drop a string of losses early this season.

It really depends on how strong Gjere is when he reports. When your assignment is to move and control 300 pound men, you better be very strong or you are going to get your feelings hurt. Leverage and technique can get you only so far in Big Time Big Ten Football.

A 6'7 OG, eh? No thanks.

You clearly didn't watch the open scrimmage or spring game. The O-line is tremendously improved. They won't be exceptional but they will be extremely good in pass protection and serviceable in the running game. Which means for the first time since the Mason years the Gophers will actually have a running game.

Now, we just need Devon Wright to show up and stay eligible.

exactly.

Michel and Olson are already pushing Alford. If Gjere is a better option and needs to play then great, but I hope we can RS him.

Top Bottom