Hightower for Ref of the year!

Refs weren't bad today and didn't decide game, but am I wrong in saying the blew the clock situation? Westbrooks shot hit the rim.

i am not going to post my thoughts about the refs today, but is it just me or does it seem like hightower does way too many of our games. feels like that guy is out there every time i watch the gophers play.

Ed Not The Problem

Blaming the refs is weak - see Wisky Fan on Wednesday night.

Our boys just got beat today. Michigan 0-2 v. Wisky, The Beloved are 2-0 v. Wisky, and 0-2 v. Michigan. Sucks - but reality.

Instead of blame, how about credit to MI for their win. I am disappointed, yes, but MI did to us what we did to Wiskey (twice). So kudos to MI.

I won't lay the entire loss at the feet of the officials, but stealing that possession from us and then giving DJ his 4th foul on a ticky tack away from the ball within 30 seconds of each other sucked any momentum we had left right out of the building. It was a killer and we didn't overcome it. I think they blew the sitution with the clock. The proper thing to do would have been to treat it as a kicked ball, put 15 seconds on the shot clock and re-set the game clock to the equivalent point. The only reason I'm not completely irate about it is that we were at home. If the same thing had happened on the road and they screwed up, it would be inexcusable. But I guess it was 'our' timekeeper.

My only issue is that Westbrooks shot hit the rim. It should have been Gopher ball with 26 seconds on the shot clock. Gophers played scared again down the stretch.

My only issue is that Westbrooks shot hit the rim. It should have been Gopher ball with 26 seconds on the shot clock. Gophers played scared again down the stretch.

I think you are thinking of a different play.

Didn't Westbrook take a shot and get knocked to the ground, it hit glass then rim and we got the ball. Clock stopped and we kept playing for about 9 seconds.

Blaming the refs is weak - see Wisky Fan on Wednesday night.

Our boys just got beat today. Michigan 0-2 v. Wisky, The Beloved are 2-0 v. Wisky, and 0-2 v. Michigan. Sucks - but reality.

Right on. The refs didn't cost us this game. Period.

We're right where we deserve to be: Losers of two games against an average Michigan team and squarely in NCAA bubble trouble :mad:

Didn't Westbrook take a shot and get knocked to the ground, it hit glass then rim and we got the ball. Clock stopped and we kept playing for about 9 seconds.

Honestly, its all a blur. I saw the shot clock not start and knew something bad would come of it. The way today went even if the shot went in they would have retroactively taken it back due to the clock issues.

I'm not blaming the refs, I'm pointing out what I saw on the play and don't understand how they may have still gotten it wrong with review. Refs don't win or lose games.

If Bronko and I are correct, the poor review cost us 23 seconds on the shot clock and forced us to run an inbound play with 3 seconds, which is nearly impossible for this team.

wrong.. the shot clock reset at 35 but didnt start for 10 or 11 seconds. Refs stopped play with 9 sec left on the clock but couldnt take the 10 or 11 sec off as that would have been a violation. They only took 6 seconds off the clock so the gophers could stll retain the ball

Why was the shot clock reset? because the shot hit the rim. As an interested official, I'm trying to understand why the shot hitting the rim was ignored by the review.

im confused by your question.. the shotclock was reset b/c the ball did hit the rim, but the clock did not start for 10-12 seconds and the refs didnt notice or stop play until 9 was left on the clock so why should the fact of the shot hitting the rim not be ignored?

I won't lay the entire loss at the feet of the officials, but stealing that possession from us and then giving DJ his 4th foul on a ticky tack away from the ball within 30 seconds of each other sucked any momentum we had left right out of the building. It was a killer and we didn't overcome it. I think they blew the sitution with the clock. The proper thing to do would have been to treat it as a kicked ball, put 15 seconds on the shot clock and re-set the game clock to the equivalent point. The only reason I'm not completely irate about it is that we were at home. If the same thing had happened on the road and they screwed up, it would be inexcusable. But I guess it was 'our' timekeeper.

I thought timekeepers were actually Big Ten officials, not? If you're right, then I agree. If you're wrong, we got majorly fu---d.

wrong.. the shot clock reset at 35 but didnt start for 10 or 11 seconds. Refs stopped play with 9 sec left on the clock but couldnt take the 10 or 11 sec off as that would have been a violation. They only took 6 seconds off the clock so the gophers could stll retain the ball

Yeah but a team plays according to the shot clock. Had they previously seen a shot clock running down, they wouldn't have dilly-dallied around with passing and dribbling for the previous 6 to 11 seconds. You cannot retroactively change a shot clock with that little time left (9 seconds) unless you're going to put more back on the clock. That ain't fair.

My comment was directed at Hightower, because there have been a plethora of bad calls every time he's officiated one of our games. Otherwise, I think the officiating has been very fair this year. A couple of the fouls on Johnson, which really killed us, were chippy.

We should have won the game anyway. Seriously though, Hightower sucks (uh oh, they might fine me for saying that - oh wait, this isn't the NBA).

Hightower is awesome when he isnt doing our games. He is there totally for entertainment value. The over the top arm movement (like when he called the carry today), the ambiguous pointing when he makes a call so you dont know who it is on, and just the crazy arm waving when he calls a foul. He just wants all the attention on him.

im confused by your question.. the shotclock was reset b/c the ball did hit the rim, but the clock did not start for 10-12 seconds and the refs didnt notice or stop play until 9 was left on the clock so why should the fact of the shot hitting the rim not be ignored?

So you're saying that from the time the ball hit the rim until the stoppage of play 26 seconds ran off the clock. Hightower ruled, from what I understand, that Westbrook's shot did not hit the rim and that enough time ran off for a shot clock violation. Then decided he had to keep the ball in Gopher possession, so put 3 seconds on the clock.

I think the Gophers should have had the ball with about 25 on the shot clock.

Okay I'm over it...

Like I said in another post, how do players keep from laughing at Hightower when he makes calls. All in all, the Big Ten officials are getting much too old.

So you're saying that from the time the ball hit the rim until the stoppage of play 26 seconds ran off the clock. Hightower ruled, from what I understand, that Westbrook's shot did not hit the rim and that enough time ran off for a shot clock violation. Then decided he had to keep the ball in Gopher possession, so put 3 seconds on the clock.

I think the Gophers should have had the ball with about 25 on the shot clock.

Okay I'm over it...

Like I said in another post, how do players keep from laughing at Hightower when he makes calls. All in all, the Big Ten officials are getting much too old.

No, here's what happened:

Westbrook shot the ball with 9:03 on the game clock and :17 on the shot clock. MN got the rebound at 8:59 and both clocks simply stopped at that point, while play continued for about :11 seconds. Then, both clocks re-started from 8:59 gameclock and :35 shot clock and play still continued until the refs stopped it at 8:34 and :09 to check. At that point there wasn't much they could do. The Gopher 2nd chance in the possession actually lasted around :37 seconds, but clearly they couldn't rule a shot clock violation since the Gophers would have had no idea.

And, who are the guys running the scorer's table at the Barn? There are usually 1-2 mess ups every game. It is embarrassing.

The only confusion to me, is how did the refs suddenly realize that the the clock started late? Why did it take them so long to figure that out, and how did they know enough to play play dead to check the replay?

My only guess is that the time keeper stopped the clock expecting that westbrook was fouled, but and then botched restarting the clock. Who knows though.

The only confusion to me, is how did the refs suddenly realize that the the clock started late? Why did it take them so long to figure that out, and how did they know enough to play play dead to check the replay?

My only guess is that the time keeper stopped the clock expecting that westbrook was fouled, but and then botched restarting the clock. Who knows though.

Someone said the Michigan assistant coach noticed and had been yelling at the referees.

And, speaking of Hightower, we've had him three straight games (Mich, Wis, ILL) and four of the last five.

I too am tired of Hightower. Does this guy live in one of the frat houses? He haunts me. I can't understand why he officiates Big Ten games - he should be demoted to junior high intermurals.

Big Ten officiating in general is brutal. They call less fouls which in turn slows down the game because cutters are constantly getting bumped causing teams to slow down their offense. It appears at times that guys are literally getting mugged down low before you hear a whistle. Watch the scoring average for the Big Ten teams go up in the NCAA tourney and it is not because the competition is weaker it's the way the games are called.

Top Bottom