High school football - what if there is no season

Replacement Gopher

Reaction score
While we are all hearing requirements (students need to be back on campus) and potential options (move to spring of 2021, play with no fans, etc.) for NCAA football, I wonder what would happen if there is no high school football either nationally or in certain states. Hard to recruit if there are no high school games. Anyone know how college baseball is recruiting and scouting with no high school baseball being played?

Seems like the only real option you would have would be to recruit players based on their junior year film. My guess is most high level athletes don't come out of nowhere in their senior year but it would certainly make the recruiting process much harder and there would be a lot more guesswork involved on how players are developing.

If there was no 2020 high school season the end result would probably be a larger number of quality players ending up at smaller schools and needing to prove themselves for a year. If the new transfer rule gets approved then you could see a really high level of movement after the 2021 season.

But hopefully we hit a point here where the kids can be back in school in the fall at the high school level. If the states reopen the schools I would think that would also mean that high school sports would be able to resume as well.

While we are all hearing requirements (students need to be back on campus) and potential options (move to spring of 2021, play with no fans, etc.) for NCAA football, I wonder what would happen if there is no high school football either nationally or in certain states. Hard to recruit if there are no high school games. Anyone know how college baseball is recruiting and scouting with no high school baseball being played?

Baseball is unique because most kids have signed their letters before their senior season. I know when Nebraska's coach left, his recruits were free to go elsewhere, but money was usually not available with the limited number of scholarships and the fact that many are partials. So most of them stayed with Nebraska where they had a secure spot.

Football, a lot of kids are getting offered/committing during their senior year. Would definitely change things. I think not being able to camp this summer is equally if not more impactful.

As I said in another thread, it comes down to two things - testing capacity and a vaccine. Until there is a vaccine, you need the regular test to see if someone is positive and you need the antibody test to see if they have already had covid and recovered.

So, if the powers-that-be can figure out a way to test every HS FB player in the country, then I could see HS FB games taking place this fall. Depending on the location, I could see some restrictions or limitations on fans.

In MN, I believe the state HS league has said it will follow the lead of the Governor. Once the Stay-at-home order is lifted, then kids will go back to school.

As I said in another thread, it comes down to two things - testing capacity and a vaccine. Until there is a vaccine, you need the regular test to see if someone is positive and you need the antibody test to see if they have already had covid and recovered.

So, if the powers-that-be can figure out a way to test every HS FB player in the country, then I could see HS FB games taking place this fall. Depending on the location, I could see some restrictions or limitations on fans.

In MN, I believe the state HS league has said it will follow the lead of the Governor. Once the Stay-at-home order is lifted, then kids will go back to school.
The stay at home order was separate from closing schools. They will likely not reopen this year even after the stay at home order is lifted.

I'm guessing they're going to tell teachers to prepare for distance learning next year with the hope of not doing it.

To be blunt, there is only a small chance of a mass produced vaccine before the end of next school year but zero chance at the beginning. It just takes too long to test, verify effectiveness and then start mass producing it and distributing it. Even with the FDA trying to green light everything COVID related, it's just not feasible.

There is a good chance that testing will be to that point where they can literally test everyone every day at practice, so that will help. But I think there's going to have to be some successful trial around a treatment before they give the green light, especially for sports. Yes, typically young folk do better with the disease, but there are still a small number of healthy young folk who don't, not to mention those with underlying issues. I would be surprised if they said you can play as long as you don't have diabetes or asthma or...

Seems like the only real option you would have would be to recruit players based on their junior year film. My guess is most high level athletes don't come out of nowhere in their senior year but it would certainly make the recruiting process much harder and there would be a lot more guesswork involved on how players are developing.

If there was no 2020 high school season the end result would probably be a larger number of quality players ending up at smaller schools and needing to prove themselves for a year. If the new transfer rule gets approved then you could see a really high level of movement after the 2021 season.

But hopefully we hit a point here where the kids can be back in school in the fall at the high school level. If the states reopen the schools I would think that would also mean that high school sports would be able to resume as well.
No HS football would really make a lot of FCS and DII recruiting to be more random.
Late bloomers who get offered a lot of times get offers at FCS or D2 level even with FBS talent. Because they were late on the scene FBS programs already have filled classes.

normally programs like Mankato, Duluth, and the dakotas can pick guys up like this...there is less data to work with to find these guys. And the data that’s missing is the most important data. Then combine that with a ton of camps nationwide likely being canceled this summer.

Top Bottom