Hickey: Minnesota is married to the Big Ten cellar until further notice.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Hickey with a BT Power Rankings and not a positive outlook for our Gophers:

14. Minnesota​

Ben Johnson hasn’t won on the court or off at Minnesota as he enters Year 3. That’s unlikely to change on the court this season, so the Gophers need some recruiting wins. But top 2024 Minnesota prospect Daniel Freitag has already committed to Wisconsin, so, well, what are we doing here?

Minnesota is married to the Big Ten cellar until further notice.

Go Gophers!!

Wow! Mr Hickey probably has never received one. Seems a bit prickly!
"Minnesota is married to the Big Ten cellar until further notice."

Wow! Mr Hickey probably has never received one. Seems a bit prickly!
"Minnesota is married to the Big Ten cellar until further notice."
Do you refute any of his comments, predictions or statements? Thought so. Counterpoints to anything he said?

Do you refute any of his comments, predictions or statements? Thought so. Counterpoints to anything he said?
As a national writer you can say the same thing without being a jerk about it was my point...instead of making enemies every where. I mean ya, it's like I wrote it, but I'm a Gopher fan...he's not.
Over half the board thinks we are going to win 5 or more games?
Who we gonna beat, beyond the night we make 17 3's or the other guy has the starters suspended or something??

This was written before Malcahy defected from Rutgers. Minnesota 13th

As a national writer you can say the same thing without being a jerk about it was my point...instead of making enemies every where. I mean ya, it's like I wrote it, but I'm a Gopher fan...he's not.
Who we gonna beat
Other Big Ten teams

Who we gonna beat, beyond the night we make 17 3's or the other guy has the starters suspended or something??
I just reread what he wrote. Don't see him being a jerk. Most of us here pick us last or 13th. I see how it could be taken though. I will be ecstatic if we weren't playing on weakling Wednesday.

I pay no attention to whoever this guy is. Cellar dwellers again? Ok. At least give me a couple of reasons to support his claim. Losing Freitag has nothing to do with this coming season. I’m happy to have Asuma over Freitag as seems to be a more complete player..

The line about "top 2024 recruit Daniel Freitag has committed to Wisconsin" is misleading, as it seems the Gophers prioritized Asuma instead, and had stopped recruiting Freitag for several months before his commitment. Also as stated elsewhere, 2024 recruiting isn't going to affect the 2023-24 season. Penn State is also an unknown. If Payne blossoms into a star, we could potentially ride him to a few wins against teams who can't match up with him.

What an odd statement to make about the one team CBJ has had success against.

They have 22 B1G wins vs our 6 the last two regular seasons. And Battle, who 'we're better off without' was single handedly responsible for 1 of the 2 wins Ben has against them.

They also beat us by 35 in the first game last season.

They have 22 B1G wins vs our 6 the last two regular seasons. And Battle, who 'we're better off without' was single handedly responsible for 1 of the 2 wins Ben has against them.

Fact or fiction- CBJ has a winning record against Rutgers with the only loss being without our best player?

Fact or fiction- CBJ has a winning record against Rutgers with the only loss being without our best player?

Not quite fact because Battle was their best player 2 years ago and they beat Rutgers without him.

Fact or fiction. Despite having a winning record against Rutgers, CBJ has still finished last two seasons in a row and Rutgers hasn't played on weakling Wednesday in 5 years?

Rutgers will be better than us because they still have better players, a far better coach, and they bring it on defense every single game.

Nebraska was 9-50 in Hoibergs first three years. Last year they were 9-11 and we have a thread going where many predict they will be better this year. The past does not always repeat. We have much improved talent, let's see what we can do.

Not quite fact because Battle was their best player 2 years ago and they beat Rutgers without him.

Fact or fiction. Despite having a winning record against Rutgers, CBJ has still finished last two seasons in a row and Rutgers hasn't played on weakling Wednesday in 5 years?

Rutgers will be better than us because they still have better players, a far better coach, and they bring it on defense every single game.
Yeah, they really "brought it" last year when we outscored them 15-4 in the last minute of the game.

Nebraska was 9-50 in Hoibergs first three years. Last year they were 9-11 and we have a thread going where many predict they will be better this year. The past does not always repeat. We have much improved talent, let's see what we can do.

So what? Nebraska was still bad and didn't make the NCAA tournament or NIT. Plus Hoiberg has had a much more successful career as a coach and a player than Ben and it isn't close.

If he doesn't make the tournament this year, and wins 9 or less games, was it worth keeping him 2 extra years just to go 9-11 and not play in the postseason? Is that our measuring stick now, a program that's made the NCAA tournament once in the last 25 years?

Thanks CBJ for getting Jamison here? Their #1 defense helped Rutgers finish tenth last season. Pretty pathetic actually.

9th. And that 9th place team still won 10 games and beat us by 35 last year. Pretty pathetic by the Gophers actually.

Last edited:

And that 10th place team beat us by 35 last year. Pretty pathetic actually.
Without our best player. What happened the last game, again? Their #1 defense completely collapsed over the last minute of the game... you must have been pretty disappointed you weren't able to come on GH and cry about another loss.

Without our best player. What happened the last game, again? Their #1 defense completely collapsed over the last minute of the game... you must have been pretty disappointed you weren't able to come on GH and cry about another loss.

I was pretty happy actually, but that win only happened because of Battle making three, 3 pointers in the last 43 seconds.

How many times are you going to repeat the same thing over and over again and still not have a point? None of this made us better than Rutgers and won't again this season, especially without Battle.

I was pretty happy actually, but that win only happened because of Battle making three, 3 pointers in the last 43 seconds.

How many times are you going to repeat the same thing over and over again and still not have a point? None of this made us better than Rutgers and won't again this season, especially without Battle.
So when the guys miss shots and lose games its all the coach, but the player gets all the credit when they make shots and win? We've been better than Rutgers 2 of the 3 times CBJ has faced them but I'm the one without the point? And remind me again how Rutgers finished during Pikiell's first two seasons?

Top Bottom