Hey, let's talk 2011 recruiting (yes, already!)

wels0081

Reaction score
Saw ESPN's piece on Wayzata QB Sasha Doran and I got to thinking about recruiting for 2011.

Scout has six big names (4* or better) considering Minnesota:
I'm not sure what we looked like last year at this point, but if we get a couple of these guys, I'd be impressed.

Anthony Wallace 4* MLB from Skyline (also looking at Florida, Texas, Neb.. and others)
Eilar Hardy 4* CB from Pickerington, OH (also considering Penn St, Ohio St, Notre Dame, others)
Antonio Poole 4* OLB from Cincinnati, OH (also considering Bowling Green, Cincy, Indiana, others)
Matt Hegarty 4* OT from Aztec, NM (also considering Harvard, Oklahoma, 'Zona, others...)
Kevin Grooms 4* RB from Hollywood, FL (also considering Florida, Auburn, Tennessee, others)
Justice Hayes 4* RB from Grand Blanc, MI (also considering IL, Ohio St., Mich, others)

Grooms was first team all Broward County as a junior. (#16 RB in the country per Scout)
Hegarty is 6'6" but only 260lbs
If Poole's offer list stays as slim as it is, we have to have a good shot at the #7 OLB in the country.
Wallace is clearly the gem, #4 MLB in the country per Scout

Don't hate me for trying to find something to get excited about while we await the spring game!

My thoughts

Anthony Wallace is an absolute stud. The other two LB's in the Skyline LB Corps last year are heading to Oklahoma and Texas A&M this fall but Wallace was the best of the group as a junior. He should be a top 100 player in the country this year. For some reason he may not get a Texas offer so my guess is that he ends up at Oklahoma. Our probability of landing him is very low.

I don't know why Scout calls Eilar Hardy a CB, IMO he is definitely a Free Safety. He has the speed to play in coverage but he is a good tackler and isn't afraid to come up and hit somebody. He also plays RB and returns punts in High School which highlights his athleticism. The best thing we have going for us is that his teammate, Willie Tatum, was in our last recruiting class. My guess is that he gets an Ohio State offer and ends up there but if OSU doesn't offer we could be a darkhorse.

Antonio Poole is a solid LB. Of the players on your list we probably have the best chance of landing him. Here are a few clips of Poole: http://scoutingohio.com/index.php/view-profile.html?task=userProfile&user=4333&name=AntonioPoole. He looks very quick from the LB position and appears to be good at blitzing. The video didn't show him fighting off blocks but he looks like a good athlete. If we plan to play him at MLB he could use a redshirt year.

Matt Hegarty is a stud. He will be one of the most highly recruited OL in the class this year. We did offer early but our chance of getting him to come from New Mexico to Minnesota over offers from Oklahoma and likely Texas and USC down the road seems pretty low.

Kevin Grooms is a great athlete that could probably play RB or CB at the next level. He is extremely quick and fast with the ability to stop on a dime and reaccelerate like he never stopped running. He would excel in a spread offense or if a pro-style offense used him like Reggie Bush at USC. It only takes highlights from 1 game to realize he is special. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPQTyS1xnqs

Justice Hayes is one of the best RB prospects in the midwest and unless there is some connection I'm unaware of I don't see us pulling him out of Michigan.

Grunk, thanks for the insight on these guys!!!!

Top Bottom