Hey Claeys....learn how to manage the end of games.....

supadupafly

Reaction score
Appreciate the win...but don't like the way Claeys manages the play calling at end of games. Reminded me of his cluster f*ck against Michigan last year when he got too smart for his own good.

Supa, I agree fully. It was terrible game management. The worst was the last TD. With less than 1 minute left on the clock, and first down and very short they should have taken a knee twice and forced 2 TO's. Then on 3rd take it again and run the clock down to about 15 seconds. At the worst OSU has 99 yards to go with no TO's and about 10 seconds on the clock.

On the good side Santosa was crazy.

So you rather he kneels it in a traditional manner and have 10 seconds left and have to punt? Or rather he runs the ball and risks fumble/injury? this way he killed the time without risking those above things (other than an unexpected cheap shot that could have injured Leidner).

It was perfect man and OSU had no chance to get the ball back. Even if it back fires and we lose yards without killing enough time, we are punting into the end zone anyway.

So you rather he kneels it in a traditional manner and have 10 seconds left and have to punt? Or rather he runs the ball and risks fumble/injury? this way he killed the time without risking those above things (other than an unexpected cheap shot that could have injured Leidner).

It was perfect man and OSU had no chance to get the ball back. Even if it back fires and we lose yards without killing enough time, we are punting into the end zone anyway.

Completely agree - I loved the calls there. It was out of the box for sure, and it was smart. You are running time off the clock without risking a fumble on a handoff or getting stripped when trying to run through blockers and tacklers. The reason people are freaking out is probably because we lost yards and it was unorthodox.

Supa, I agree fully. It was terrible game management. The worst was the last TD. With less than 1 minute left on the clock, and first down and very short they should have taken a knee twice and forced 2 TO's. Then on 3rd take it again and run the clock down to about 15 seconds. At the worst OSU has 99 yards to go with no TO's and about 10 seconds on the clock.

On the good side Santosa was crazy.

It would have been more than 10 seconds left. There was 1:27 left when we got the first down. You kneel twice, they take two TOs. There is about 1:20 left. You aren't able to run over a minute off the clock by running one play.

Already one of these? This is gonna be a fun year.

There was only a minute on the clock. The clock manager was a little generous and maybe gave us an extra tick or two and then the penalty. Without the penalty we likely would have had to punt.

If they had kneeled it we would have punted with about 8-10 seconds on the clock. Anything can happen in CFB...especially tonight but I'm not sure 5 extra seconds for OSU would have made a real difference.

Weird, but it worked out. Summary of the game.

Do you really think that's what most coaches would do?

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

That end of game foolishness looked to me like a failed experiment. Dance around in the pocket for 3-5 seconds, inviting injury, risking a fumble or a cheap shot...now we've seen that it's a risky proposition, and we don't have to try it again.

I believe the clock management at the end of the game got the clock down to 47 seconds when Leidner took the snap for third down with OSU out of timeouts. If he had milked those few seconds on that play without the OSU penalty, he would have 40 seconds to get the next play off. Worst case scenario, he might have had to take a snap on 4th down with a couple seconds left and could have easily ended the game without a punt. I liked the approach.

There was 1 minute left when they got the ball back. Three knees + one 40 second clock meant there would be about 10 seconds left when we punted. They were trying to burn up those 10 seconds. But I think the risk of a fumble/cheap shot was not worth the risk. Taking regular kneel downs, at most they would have had one 80-yard hail mary.

At the end of the day, we scored 30 points on a bad night(and it was the 1st game under a new OC). Just imagine when the mistakes get cleaned up & the players fully wrap their collective heads around the new office... They could put up some points. Anytime you have a new OC, it takes a few games for an offense to hit it's stride. Clean up the bad snaps & dumb penalties and I think we could look good very soon.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

There was 1 minute left when they got the ball back. Three knees + one 40 second clock meant there would be about 10 seconds left when we punted. They were trying to burn up those 10 seconds. But I think the risk of a fumble/cheap shot was not worth the risk. Taking regular kneel downs, at most they would have had one 80-yard hail mary.

I just took another look. After the last timeout, there were 47 seconds left. If the third down play was finished without the penalty, the clock would have been down to 42 or 43 seconds left. They could then wind down to 2 or 3 seconds and take a delay penalty. All he has to do on 4th down is drop back 5 yards and take a knee again to end the game. Very smart clock management.

At the end of the day, we scored 30 points on a bad night(and it was the 1st game under a new OC). Just imagine when the mistakes get cleaned up & the players fully wrap their collective heads around the new office... They could put up some points. Anytime you have a new OC, it takes a few games for an offense to hit it's stride. Clean up the bad snaps & dumb penalties and I think we could look good very soon.

All while missing the team's best rusher and best tight end.

They had Leidner, Brooks and Lingen last year and the offense still sucked...Not enough game-breakers....I'm not sure Claeys will be around long enough to get some.

I guess a running back that had touchdown runs of 75, 71, 40 and 38 yards as a true freshman wouldn't be considered a game breaker.

I guess a running back that had touchdown runs of 75, 71, 40 and 38 yards as a true freshman wouldn't be considered a game breaker.

I never said Brooks wasn't a game breaker...I said they do not have ENOUGH of them on O and that includes the QB...selective reading

I hated the 2 point conversion up 7. Kick the extra point and force them to go for two if they score to tie.

My real only gripe with the way things were handled at the end of the game was there were two specific times where we snapped the ball with around 15 on the play clock, with the game clock running. Leidner needs to be more aware of that type of thing, especially for it to happen twice.

I think it's too easy to say "don't score" when we have the ball on the 1. This isn't Madden football. What happens if you kneel on it twice & on 3rd down, something goes wrong with the center exchange or a fumble? Other than a game ending situation, like falling down instead of getting a TD because the other team is out of time outs, I think you try to score a TD when you can all the time.

I would rather do what we did and avoid a punt than just take a few quick knees and then punt. Significant more risk in having to punt in my opinion.

They ran the clock an extra tick or two each snap IMO. Normally would assume about 3 seconds for each time Mitch did his sprint out kneel. On 4th down, are we 100% confident Mitch doesn't get tackled or kneel before the clock hits zero. Only takes one second to throw a Hail Mary.

It was a poorly coached game that lacked all sorts of discipline. I just hope we can gut out 6 wins and a minor bowl game. You can bet Coyle is scratching his head

Going for 2 was brutal. So dumb IMO - and it's not the first time he's done it. Sure, if we get it it's over. But if we miss it... come on. Being up 8 and forcing them to have to do the 2 point converting (to TIE the game at best) is the better play. Unlikely they score - sure - but after we missed it - they had a chance to win the game.

That end of game foolishness looked to me like a failed experiment. Dance around in the pocket for 3-5 seconds, inviting injury, risking a fumble or a cheap shot...now we've seen that it's a risky proposition, and we don't have to try it again.

It's called a QB Slide-Sweep play and takes an additional 12-15 seconds on the clock as opposed to kneeing it.
I've stated before on the forum.......the JOHN T. REED BOOKS are a MUST READ for any coach.

http://johntreed.com/products/football-clock-management-5th-edition-book-by-john-t-reed

We successfully ran the clock out. What is this discussion even complaining about?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snapping the ball to a punter and having him punt is much riskier than having your quarterback who handles 60 snaps a game handle the ball. Just ask the Aussie Michigan punter, or the Gopher center last night.

Agreed. Also don't have a problem with the end of the first half time management. A bad snap was the problem there and we still ended up with points before the half.

It's called a QB Slide-Sweep play and takes an additional 12-15 seconds on the clock as opposed to kneeing it.
I've stated before on the forum.......the JOHN T. REED BOOKS are a MUST READ for any coach.

http://johntreed.com/products/football-clock-management-5th-edition-book-by-john-t-reed

I'm assuming you mean over an entire series rather than one play, and even that is pretty optimistic. The time from the snap to the kneel even on the sprint out is 3 seconds. I think 12-15 seconds probably doubles the actual additional time burned, in NCAA football.

They had to burn 20 seconds. It ended up working out. Not a big deal either way.

Top Bottom