Heupel is not the new OC

Wow . .Sounded like a done deal. Maybe Brew wants someone with a little more experience.

Bummer....

...was hoping for him...as it seemed to be a good fit with our new running game.

And he would have been great for the QBs.

Here's to getting someone with a similar resume.

GM

Or maybe Shannahan decided that he had enough money and is gonna come on board as our new OC.

Ok, Heupel will not be our new OC, then can you answer if we do have a new OC? You can give that out at least.

So throw us a bone.

Or if he's coming from the NFL.......or the NCAA ranks ?

Shanahan should be headed to the Dallas Cowboys soon I guessing.

I have no idea who it will be. Just that it is not Heupel.

I have no special connections into the program, but have a connection to Heupel.

I have no idea who it will be. Just that it is not Heupel.

I have no special connections into the program, but have a connection to Heupel.

Do you know if it never was going to be Heupel and the rumors we were hearing were just false, or were the rumors true and something has just changed in the past few days?

If this is true, it does not sound good. How do you explain to recruits and fans that you are now on your fourth choice. It appears nobody wants this job, not very attractive.

Fill me in.....

If this is true, it does not sound good. How do you explain to recruits and fans that you are now on your fourth choice. It appears nobody wants this job, not very attractive.

Who would have been our top- 3 choices? By most accounts, Heupel was 1 or maybe 2 (behind Applewhite?)

I'd take Mike Hohensee. Sign him to a 1 year contract like Cosgrove. That way if things don't work out your off the hook. If things go well I think Hohensee could stay here for a long time. With a one year contract you've got almost nothing to lose.

I'd take Mike Hohensee. Sign him to a 1 year contract like Cosgrove. That way if things don't work out your off the hook. If things go well I think Hohensee could stay here for a long time. With a one year contract you've got almost nothing to lose.

How do you sell that to recruits? They want to know who will be running the offense in the future. They do not want to commit if they have no idea who the OC is going to be after the 1 year contract. They are looking for stability also.

How do you sell that to recruits? They want to know who will be running the offense in the future. They do not want to commit if they have no idea who the OC is going to be after the 1 year contract. They are looking for stability also.
I am wondering if Bruininks or Maturi is behind the one year contract for Cosgrove. I don't know but am just curious if President Bruininks said "Joel, we already paying millions of dollars to several coaches between basketball and football which are not coaching here right now and we cannot risk another financial hit at this time so therefore can only do a one year deal at this time." I am sure with the government shortfall that things may be getting a little tight at the University right now from a financial standpoint.

I am wondering if Bruininks or Maturi is behind the one year contract for Cosgrove. I don't know but am just curious if President Bruininks said "Joel, we already paying millions of dollars to several coaches between basketball and football which are not coaching here right now and we cannot risk another financial hit at this time so therefore can only do a one year deal at this time." I am sure with the government shortfall that things may be getting a little tight at the University right now from a financial standpoint.

Maturi said it was Brewster's call. You can take that as you will.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Brewster is only making $800,000 per year. He has an additional $200,000 deferred that he only gets if he makes it through year five. They have a bit of slack.

Was told by a friend that it was annouced in Norman today that Heupel was staying at OU. Seems to be confirmed...Wish it wasnt true.

Brewster's salary

Maturi said it was Brewster's call. You can take that as you will.

Another thing to keep in mind is that Brewster is only making $800,000 per year. He has an additional $200,000 deferred that he only gets if he makes it through year five. They have a bit of slack.

Right - and as I remember one of the local fishwraps reporting, Brewster took less with the express purpose of having more money to go out and get the assistants he wanted.;)

Right - and as I remember one of the local fishwraps reporting, Brewster took less with the express purpose of having more money to go out and get the assistants he wanted.;)

Back in the days before coordinators were making $600,000 a year. :eek:

I have no doubt it will be tough for him to get a great coordinator with the salary limitations if there are any in place. I would suspect there would be however and it may have gotten tighter if the university is factoring in Dunbar and Meyers salaries that we are on the hook for.

A year-to-year contract for an OC/DC isn't rare. Roof had a similar term for his contract.

A year-to-year contract for an OC/DC isn't rare. Roof had a similar term for his contract.

I am curious as to what other OC/DC are on a year to year contract. I know that Colorado used to have a state law where all employees wer on a year to year contract but the law was changed there recently to give exemptions to 6 or 8 university employees to have multi-year contracts which went to the football HC, basketball HC, A.D., president, etc...

I am curious as to what other OC/DC are on a year to year contract. I know that Colorado used to have a state law where all employees wer on a year to year contract but the law was changed there recently to give exemptions to 6 or 8 university employees to have multi-year contracts which went to the football HC, basketball HC, A.D., president, etc...

Almost all position coaches are on year-to-year contracts. We are not on the hook for Meyer, as he was year-to-year. However, many coordinators are now benefiting from multi-year deals. Unless Dunbar gets another job, then we are on the hook for his money. Not all coordinators get multi-year deals, however, as with the Cosgrove hiring. Not totally uncommon.

Interesting now, many schools are paying their strength and conditioning coaches (if they are good) like coordinators, too.

one year contract

If I'm not mistaken, Mitch Browning and company had 10 one year contracts. All assistants are on one year contracts.

This is where it got tricky as their contracts renewed as of a certain date...maybe Jan 1, so Maturi wanted to either re-sign Mase or else let him go as to not get stuck with 10 assistant coaches salary's as they automatically renew when the clock struck midnight on whatever date.

They were all on one year contracts and renwed each year.

Withers, Roof and Dunbar were exceptions and probably since the head coach is always given at least 3 years to get his system in place, thus allowed to hire assistants more long term.

I would assume big time coordinators at some big schools probably have multi year deals too.

Just Curious

I haven't seen anything on the Oklahoma message boards or the Norman area newspapers and TV stations about Heupel, other than that he is a candidate for the job here. I would think if it's been announced that he is staying, that would be reported somewhere.

Top Bottom