Herm Edwards adds former Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick to Arizona State football staff; Billick hasn't coached since 2007

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Rittenberg:

Arizona State has hired former Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick as an offensive analyst and adviser to head coach Herm Edwards.

Billick, who last coached in 2007 with the Ravens, is the third former NFL head coach on the ASU staff, joining Edwards and Marvin Lewis, also an adviser to Edwards. The 67-year-old Billick had been working as an analyst for NFL Network.

"I have known Brian since the 1980s and he is a person whom I completely trust," Edwards said in a statement. "He has built one of the finest reputations the NFL has ever known, serving as a head coach, an assistant coach and as a respected television analyst. Brian has one of the brightest offensive minds in football today and that is especially why I hired him. He will serve as a valuable resource to our entire coaching staff, but specifically to our offensive staff."

Billick said Arizona State recently approached him about the opportunity when he was coaching the Hula Bowl all-star game. He said he has known Edwards for more than 40 years and also has long-term connections with Lewis, the Ravens defensive coordinator under Billick, and Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson. Lewis joined Edwards' staff in 2019 as a special adviser and spent the 2020 season as co-defensive coordinator.

Go Gophers!!

Per Rittenberg:

Arizona State has hired former Baltimore Ravens coach Brian Billick as an offensive analyst and adviser to head coach Herm Edwards.

Billick, who last coached in 2007 with the Ravens, is the third former NFL head coach on the ASU staff, joining Edwards and Marvin Lewis, also an adviser to Edwards. The 67-year-old Billick had been working as an analyst for NFL Network.

"I have known Brian since the 1980s and he is a person whom I completely trust," Edwards said in a statement. "He has built one of the finest reputations the NFL has ever known, serving as a head coach, an assistant coach and as a respected television analyst. Brian has one of the brightest offensive minds in football today and that is especially why I hired him. He will serve as a valuable resource to our entire coaching staff, but specifically to our offensive staff."

Billick said Arizona State recently approached him about the opportunity when he was coaching the Hula Bowl all-star game. He said he has known Edwards for more than 40 years and also has long-term connections with Lewis, the Ravens defensive coordinator under Billick, and Arizona State athletic director Ray Anderson. Lewis joined Edwards' staff in 2019 as a special adviser and spent the 2020 season as co-defensive coordinator.

Go Gophers!!
Ray Anderson, the VP of Athletics and AD at Arizona State, was at one time the agent for both Edwards and Billick. His other clients included Tony Dungy and Dennis Green.

There is no cut-off to the feedlot for some folks.

I don't have anything really to add about the hire, but have a completely random story about Billick. January 2003 I was flying back from SoCal to Mpls out of the Ontario, CA Airport, same flight though he had a connection back to Baltimore where he was Head Coach. Billick had been in the area covering the Super Bowl for TV in San Diego (Bucs over Raiders).

Luck of the draw we were 2 lucky ones that got selected for full Security search, where they went over our baggage & carryons for manual inspection, not just Xray. We got shuffled over to a holding area, just us 2.

After a couple of minutes of total awkward silence, I broke the ice asking if he was happy for Brad Johnson winning for the Bucs. He answered affirmatively and was quick to add also for former Vikings center Jeff Christy. We made small talk, asking where I was from and he said he still had a cabin in northern Minnesota so at least he got to get back to the area in the offseason. I couldn't bring myself to ask any questions about the 1998 NFC Championship game though. He was very polite to me and accommodating to the Security staff, though he was keeping a sharp eye on his Super Bowl Ring.

Eventually we both were cleared for the flight and carried on, though only one of us was in First Class.

I think this was the same trip I just happened to sit next to Bleed at the Wild-Ducks game.

I don't have anything really to add about the hire, but have a completely random story about Billick. January 2003 I was flying back from SoCal to Mpls out of the Ontario, CA Airport, same flight though he had a connection back to Baltimore where he was Head Coach. Billick had been in the area covering the Super Bowl for TV in San Diego (Bucs over Raiders).

Luck of the draw we were 2 lucky ones that got selected for full Security search, where they went over our baggage & carryons for manual inspection, not just Xray. We got shuffled over to a holding area, just us 2.

After a couple of minutes of total awkward silence, I broke the ice asking if he was happy for Brad Johnson winning for the Bucs. He answered affirmatively and was quick to add also for former Vikings center Jeff Christy. We made small talk, asking where I was from and he said he still had a cabin in northern Minnesota so at least he got to get back to the area in the offseason. I couldn't bring myself to ask any questions about the 1998 NFC Championship game though. He was very polite to me and accommodating to the Security staff, though he was keeping a sharp eye on his Super Bowl Ring.

Eventually we both were cleared for the flight and carried on, though only one of us was in First Class.

I think this was the same trip I just happened to sit next to Bleed at the Wild-Ducks game.
I like your story. I also like that for a second I thought you said security went through your baggage and Crayons.

Cool story. I almost believed it until you said that @BleedGopher is a real person and not a robot!

Cool story. I almost believed it until you said that @BleedGopher is a real person and not a robot!
It would not be the last time I was in contact with a Super Bowl winning Head Coach, and by coincidence, the other gentleman was in the news yesterday.

December 2012 at the Vdara Hotel in Las Vegas I got on the elevator down to the lobby and it stops a few floors down on the way, and in steps Sean Payton, alone. This was the year he was on suspension for Bountygate. Again awkward silence for a few seconds as I recognized him right away. This was the conversation, pretty much word for word:

OPE3 - What brings you to Vegas?
Payton - Marathon.
OPE3 - Good luck.
Payton - Thanks.

I read later that he did indeed run in the Vegas Rock 'n Roll marathon, which was kind of a cool event itself. They had it in the evening and closed down the Strip for the finish at night under the lights.

It would not be the last time I was in contact with a Super Bowl winning Head Coach, and by coincidence, the other gentleman was in the news yesterday.

December 2012 at the Vdara Hotel in Las Vegas I got on the elevator down to the lobby and it stops a few floors down on the way, and in steps Sean Payton, alone. This was the year he was on suspension for Bountygate. Again awkward silence for a few seconds as I recognized him right away. This was the conversation, pretty much word for word:

Payton - Marathon.
OPE3 - Good luck.
Payton - Thanks.

I read later that he did indeed run in the Vegas Rock 'n Roll marathon, which was kind of a cool event itself. They had it in the evening and closed down the Strip for the finish at night under the lights.
That’s awesome!

Payton - Marathon.
OPE3 - Good luck.
Payton - Thanks.

Did he later send one of his minions to purposely injury you?

Did he later send one of his minions to purposely injury you?
I escaped the elevator with my knees in better shape than Brett Favre.

There is a biopic coming out about Payton's suspension year, produced by Adam Sandler starring Kevin James. I'm hearing our scene was cut for time. :(

Top Bottom