Here's why I don't like seeing all these top 10 teams losing:

Donovan

Reaction score
Boise State is going to continue to climb the polls.:mad: They are going to end up playing one stinking good team all year! And of course Oregon laid an egg when they played them. Fresno State was going to be their other tough game, and they are now 1-3. Their only other challenge is Tulsa, who lost to Oklahoma 45-0 without Sam Bradford. This weekend they stepped out of their tough WAC conference to face Bowling Green.

I've come to grips that they will be in a BCS bowl game, but I'll be really upset if they are in the National Championship game. And I'm sick of that dumb blue field.

Boise State vs. Houston for the National Championship. Wooo! hoo!

They don't play anyone either.

:(

Maybe the top programs in the WAC and the MWC should form a new conference. The other programs from both conferences can reform into another new conference. That new conference would be much stronger, and have a more legitimate claim to putting an undefeated team in the NC game. I looked at the Sagarin ratings, and the six BCS conferences have a total of 1 team with a rating over 100. The WAC and the MWC have seven teams with ratings over 100.

No disrespect to these conferences, but the bottom half of those conferences damages their chances of getting into the NC game.

Maybe the BCS bowl system should have power rankings similar to basketball to make sure teams have enough quality wins to get an invitation.
It would force the non-BCS schools to schedule more BCS or quality games.

Why would those crap conferences team up to become a BCS conference? They have no incentive to do so. They never play anyone, and still get invited to the BCS games. Sounds like a good deal for them to me.

Why would those crap conferences team up to become a BCS conference? They have no incentive to do so. They never play anyone, and still get invited to the BCS games. Sounds like a good deal for them to me.

They also don't make as much money in TV rights, bowl tie-ins/payouts, etc, etc. If this sort of move resulted in more money they'd jump at it.

If Boise State moved over to the Mountain West, that would be great. That conference is pretty tough with TCU, Utah, BYU and Air Force. But, I'm sure they won't when they can skate into BCS games playing one tough game a year.

Maybe I'm not a college football purist, but I actually like seeing Boise getting national love and high rankings. Even if it is slightly undeserved.

Part of it may be the Fiesta Bowl a few years back against Oklahoma was one of my favorite sports moments of all time (in the non-Minnesota sports category).

What really is a football purist? People have some really wildly different definitions. College football was once decided purely by polls, with the bowl game being just a glorified exhibition game. Then we switched to deciding the champion after the bowl games. Then we switched to the BCS. We'll switch to something else sooner or later. And even before the polls, there was a real "wild west" of national championships, basically anyone could declare someone the national champion.

I suppose the first tournament was in 1869, the first year of intercollegiate football. There was one game the whole season, and with Rutgers beating Princeton 6-4, Rutgers was (retroactively) declared national champion.

The entire BCS just sucks, lets face it. Boise State being capable of doing this is just another face of the terrible BCS system rearing its head.

Top Bottom