Here's what I see.

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
Here's what I see:

(1) There is more aggregate WR talent on the roster and on the field than there was in 2019.

(2) But that isn't helpful. Having a concentration of rare talent in 2 WR's is better than having above-average-to-good talent across potentially 4+ receivers.

(3) Why? Because it is easier for a QB to "use" the WR corps (much less in the way of intra-play decision making), and easier for a coaching staff to "use" that corps (you have "parts" of the "machine" you can count on).

(4) Because of this the passing game can, at times, vanish.

(5) So what? We have a running game.

(6) If you had to choose between a passing game and a running game, you'd choose a passing game.

(7) Why? Because it is more adaptable to situations. It can adapt to down-and-distance situations, and it can adapt to game situation.

(8) What do I mean by that? There is no running play you call that is designed to pick up 15 yards on 3rd-and-15. But there are passing plays that are designed to pick up 15 yards. If you are down by 2 scores with 6 minutes left, and you can only run, then there simply isn't enough time, but it would be enough time if you could pass.

(9) This was a problem the Gophers encountered last week. Eventually the running game took hold. But it was too late. If the game was 5 quarters long, they'd have won. But it's not 5 quarters.

(10) Without a passing game, you need to never get in 3rd-and-long, and you need game situation to permit you to continue pounding until the body blows add up. Sometimes that works. But not over a whole season.

(11) So you need a passing game. And without a concentration of rare talent in 2 WR's, that's just hard. The only real way a coaching staff could avoid having a passing game vanish from time to time under that situation is to have a truly great QB who can see the field in the way that few can.

(12) Morgan is not that guy. He is accurate, throws a catchable ball, moves around the pocket well, understands the offense, can read a defense pre-snap, and can do just enough with his legs to keep a defense honest. But he lacks in field vision, so putting him in a position where he has to survey 4+ receivers to find what's working on this play is sub-optimal.

(13) This means the passing game will vanish from time to time, which means that the Gophers' will lose when the passing game vanishes and game situation does not permit them to compensate by piling up body blows via the running attack.

I just want to know how they are going to convince receivers to continue to come with what we have seen. First game was good with Wright getting a bunch of balls but it’s been pretty dismal since. They have some good recruits committed too. Will be interesting what happens with these next games and beyond.

I just want to know how they are going to convince receivers to continue to come with what we have seen. First game was good with Wright getting a bunch of balls but it’s been pretty dismal since. They have some good recruits committed too. Will be interesting what happens with these next games and beyond.
We just had a first round pick at WR, with another NFL draft pick the year before. A few years after PJ made Corey Davis a top 10 pick. Fans have such short term memories it’s ridiculous.

We just had a first round pick at WR, with another NFL draft pick the year before. A few years after PJ made Corey Davis a top 10 pick. Fans have such short term memories it’s ridiculous.
Apparently you like what you’ve seen from the passing offense this year? I’m not talking about the past years. They were great as we all know. Yes you will get some credibility with past draft picks no doubt. I’m talking currently. Maybe they have been “holding back all the good plays for Wisconsin and Iowa” like I’ve been hearing? Which makes no sense since you are losing games to keep this juggernaut passing offense hidden for these two games. Fans that think there isn’t a problem with the passing offense so far are ridiculous. Now to counter…you don’t need to throw it when you are running for a gazillion yards. Yep I get that. I would have run it like they did too. I’m talking about a complete lack of passing offense when it counts (outside of Ohio State).

Mike Sanford Jr. is doing his best to erase those memories.

(12) Morgan is not that guy. He is accurate, throws a catchable ball, moves around the pocket well, understands the offense, can read a defense pre-snap, and can do just enough with his legs to keep a defense honest. But he lacks in field vision, so putting him in a position where he has to survey 4+ receivers to find what's working on this play is sub-optimal.
How many "complete" quarterbacks do you believe are in the B1G and do you think the gophers will eventually have one? If a guy has all the traits you are looking for he will be a first round draft pick. Those guys are hard to find, especially at MN.

I agree that Morgan has flaws, but he is one of the better gopher qbs I have seen. I think this comes down to the coaches putting the players in position to succeed. The play calls and system should be adjusted to fit the player. Morgan has absolutely missed some throws, but I don't think he has been put in a good position to excel.

Apparently you like what you’ve seen from the passing offense this year? I’m not talking about the past years. They were great as we all know. Yes you will get some credibility with past draft picks no doubt. I’m talking currently. Maybe they have been “holding back all the good plays for Wisconsin and Iowa” like I’ve been hearing? Which makes no sense since you are losing games to keep this juggernaut passing offense hidden for these two games. Fans that think there isn’t a problem with the passing offense so far are ridiculous. Now to counter…you don’t need to throw it when you are running for a gazillion yards. Yep I get that. I would have run it like they did too. I’m talking about a complete lack of passing offense when it counts (outside of Ohio State).
No idea how you interpreted that I’m happy with our passing game. I don’t however think a few ugly games all of a sudden means we will never recruit a good WR again. Maybe I’m wrong, who knows.

How many "complete" quarterbacks do you believe are in the B1G and do you think the gophers will eventually have one? If a guy has all the traits you are looking for he will be a first round draft pick. Those guys are hard to find, especially at MN.

I agree that Morgan has flaws, but he is one of the better gopher qbs I have seen. I think this comes down to the coaches putting the players in position to succeed. The play calls and system should be adjusted to fit the player. Morgan has absolutely missed some throws, but I don't think he has been put in a good position to excel.
Clark,

I think Tanner is the best Gopher QB of my lifetime, and I'm 50. I think that building a team based on the assumption you can consistently find a QB with all of Tanner's abilities plus field vision is foolish. You'd be planning on constructing a team that has a high probability of being malformed because that QB will be hard to find.

There are two options: (1) design a team that is built around the offensive line and can basically only run, and augment it with a great defense. You can do that almost every year with high probability. And you'll win 8-10 games per year, but never go all the way. We'll call this "the Wisconsin Option." ...or (2) execute the Wisconsin option and additionally work like hell to find and develop two rare WR talents. Option 2 lets you operate with a QB that is possible to consistently find, and if you fail, you're basically Wisconsin. But if you succeed in finding two rare WR talents you're borderline CFP-level. To be clear, if you fail, you probably slot in below Wisconsin, because you're left asking the question: "Can I be a better version of Wisconsin than Wisconsin, itself?"

Here's what I see:

(1) There is more aggregate WR talent on the roster and on the field than there was in 2019.

(2) But that isn't helpful. Having a concentration of rare talent in 2 WR's is better than having above-average-to-good talent across potentially 4+ receivers.

(3) Why? Because it is easier for a QB to "use" the WR corps (much less in the way of intra-play decision making), and easier for a coaching staff to "use" that corps (you have "parts" of the "machine" you can count on).

(6) If you had to choose between a passing game and a running game, you'd choose a passing game.

(7) Why? Because it is more adaptable to situations. It can adapt to down-and-distance situations, and it can adapt to game situation.

(8) What do I mean by that? There is no running play you call that is designed to pick up 15 yards on 3rd-and-15. But there are passing plays that are designed to pick up 15 yards. If you are down by 2 scores with 6 minutes left, and you can only run, then there simply isn't enough time, but it would be enough time if you could pass.

(9) This was a problem the Gophers encountered last week. Eventually the running game took hold. But it was too late. If the game was 5 quarters long, they'd have won. But it's not 5 quarters.

(10) Without a passing game, you need to never get in 3rd-and-long, and you need game situation to permit you to continue pounding until the body blows add up. Sometimes that works. But not over a whole season.

(11) So you need a passing game. And without a concentration of rare talent in 2 WR's, that's just hard. The only real way a coaching staff could avoid having a passing game vanish from time to time under that situation is to have a truly great QB who can see the field in the way that few can.

(13) This means the passing game will vanish from time to time, which means that the Gophers' will lose when the passing game vanishes and game situation does not permit them to compensate by piling up body blows via the running attack.
The Grouchy Grammarian strikes again.
If the game WERE five quarters long.
The subjunctive always requires the plural.
In any event these thirteen possibilities and conjectures could be summarized this way.
If there is not a credible running game, the passing game also suffers.
If there is not a credible passing game, the running game suffers.

The Grouchy Grammarian strikes again.
If the game WERE five quarters long.
The subjunctive always requires the plural.
In any event these thirteen possibilities and conjectures could be summarized this way.
If there is not a credible running game, the passing game also suffers.
If there is not a credible passing game, the running game suffers.
Your grammar advice does not fall on angry ears on my end, Plato. Keep it up: let's make Gopherhole a grammatically classy place!

As for your summary - it's not quite right, but I've got a meeting coming up and can't get to it now. Later.

Speaking of Wright, why is he absent from view so much?

Here's what I see:

How about adding playing three QBs in the game in different series to confuse the Iowa Defense?

I have a feeling there will be a wrinkle or three from the offense this week

Sanford was not OC for Davis or TJ. Bateman played a very few games last year but wasn't a first rounder because of 2020 performance.

Agree with some of this, disagree with other parts. It's certainly better to have 2 All B1G receivers (and I am not sure CAB and Douglas as 3rd and 4th options weren't equal to Jackson and Wright this year). I think they could/should get more out of Spann/Ford at the TE position than what was there in 2019. The expected improvement in a "developmental program" of both the QB and virtually the entire OL from 2019 to now should have the passing game looking much better than it has even with the downgrade from elite WR talent (also it would be possible to develop someone at WR that was near Tyler's level too).

I think another part is Minnesota runs the ball a lot, but is not dominant at it. The need to go to 7 or 8 OL and/or a wildcat QB in 3rd or 4th and short situations speaks volumes. I am never confident they will pick up the first in these situations and it feels like a given when watching other run heavy teams. Not picking up a 4th and 1 arguably was the biggest play in both of the huge upset losses.

I'd love for this program to feature the pass a little more to give it its own niche in the B1G West. I felt like that's the direction they were moving towards before Ciarrocca left and Sanford was hired. It's hard to know how much is to blame on Sanford for the run/pass mix compared to Fleck's extremely conservative style. Similarly, I think you could at least argue that the OL's inability to pass protect especially in obvious passing situations is as limiting to this passing game as Morgan's regression has been.

I have a feeling there will be a wrinkle or three from the offense this week
I agree with this. We've seen some stuff on O this year. Middle screens to BSF, bubbles and stop routes on the edges, throws to the RBs in the flats, a flea flicker, tempo a couple times, Morgan pulling on zone read, etc. For the life of me I can't figure out why we haven't seen MORE of these things against BG and Illinois, but I do strongly believe they'll throw the kitchen sink at Iowa and Wisconsin on O. There's no chance we see last week's game plan.

Without new wrinkles we have absolutely no chance, none against Iowa. It is up to the coaches to have created those schemes. Earn your millions PJ.

Sanford was not OC for Davis or TJ. Bateman played a very few games last year but wasn't a first rounder because of 2020 performance.
WHAT?? He was drafted in the 1st Round by Baltimore with the 27th pick!

WHAT?? He was drafted in the 1st Round by Baltimore with the 27th pick!
Dakota means that although Bateman was indeed drafted in the first round, that fact cannot be attributed to his 2020 performance - it is properly attributed to his 2019 performance.

Dakota means that although Bateman was indeed drafted in the first round, that fact cannot be attributed to his 2020 performance - it is properly attributed to his 2019 performance.
My bad, I read it wrong, thanks for the interpretation!

Top Bottom