Here are five story lines for Johnson's Gophers going into summer practice:

FWIW - on Sunday, Barriero was talking about Fuller's article in the Strib on the player turnover.

Barriero said something to the effect that "this could be a disaster. They might not win a game in the Big Ten."

Based on other things he's said, I get the impression that he does not follow Gopher sports very closely. All he knows is what he reads in the local papers.
The gophers could go 0-pher in the big ten and no one would be shocked. If you think this can not happen you need to get ready.

Question #6: Is this the least talented Gopher Basketball roster in the modern era?

Well, the roster isn't completed yet. Not counting Fox, there are nine scholarship players committed. I don't believe Ben will enter the season with only 9 scholarship players so I think two more (very likely front court players) will be added. Those additions may not be great but I suspect that they could be at least serviceable for stretches.

If the above happens, my answer to your question is "NO."

We have the historically bad team of Pitino's third season for comparison. For the front court, I think Battle, Thompson, Ihnen, Daniels, and two players to be named later can be as good collectively as the freshman Murphy, Bakary, Gaston, Buggs, and Joey King (although King might be a better shooter than any of them). Although Murphy was already a good player as a freshman and King was a good shooting big (albeit soft), the rest of them were mediocre to terrible.

It's in the back court where I believe this team will be better than Pitino's third year team. The guards that year were soph Mason, Morris, and freshmen McBrayer, Dorsey, and Gilbert. Not a single one of them had a True Shooting Percentage of 50% or better. Based on their histories, I believe the very experienced guard crew we have now will shoot significantly better than that one next season.

Top Bottom