Herbstreit Tough On Tressel

Duluthguy

Reaction score
Kirk Herbstreit says Tressel has given Ohio State a "black eye," that it will be hard for Ohio State to move ahead with Tressel (especially with recruiting), and that if John Cooper had done the same thing he would have been fired - in front of a firing squad. Another story - forget where I read it - calling for Tressel to be fired claimed that he has always planned to retire at the end of his contract in 2014. Hadn't heard that before, but that retirement date may be moving up.

Link to Herbstreit video:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/04/26/kirk-herbstreit-on-jim-tr_n_853846.html?awesm=awe.sm_5Icf8

USC is still bringing in top notch recruiting classes with all of their cheating. I doubt it will keep top players from going to OSU. All it does is confirm further the sad truth of today's college sports world, that many of the winners are the cheaters.

Yes, he's a Buckeye grad, still lives in Columbus with his family and is highly regarded by the Buckeye faithful.

Keep in mind: (1) That's Herbstreit saying it will affect recruiting, not me. (2). USC is still recruiting well, but the coach who was there at the time is no longer there, and he was not at the center of the issue.

For what it is worth, The Men of Scarlet and Gray, a Buckeye fan website has a column saying Tressel should resign or be fired. As for the NCAA sanctions, I'd be happy if they barred OSU from saying "thee" OSU. Bugs the hell out of me as an Ohio U grad who suffered through a few years living in Columbus.

I thought I heard, and correct me if I'm wrong, that Herbstreit moved his family from Columbus because they were taking so much heat for him being critical of tOSU on Gameday.

Yes, he's a Buckeye grad, still lives in Columbus with his family and is highly regarded by the Buckeye faithful.

Keep in mind: (1) That's Herbstreit saying it will affect recruiting, not me. (2). USC is still recruiting well, but the coach who was there at the time is no longer there, and he was not at the center of the issue.

For what it is worth, The Men of Scarlet and Gray, a Buckeye fan website has a column saying Tressel should resign or be fired. As for the NCAA sanctions, I'd be happy if they barred OSU from saying "thee" OSU. Bugs the hell out of me as an Ohio U grad who suffered through a few years living in Columbus.

USC was able to recruit well this year because the scholarship restrictions levied by the NCAA have yet to be enforced because the appeal by USC has yet to be decided by the NCAA appeals committee.

Technically, I believe the recruiting sanctions are in effect, but they were able to sign a full class by taking about 8-10 Juco players at midyear that counted back to the 2010 class. They will eventually lose the scholarships, but they ducked part of the bullet for a while with the Juco signings. At least that is what I remember from the recruiting season.

Top Bottom