Herbstreit houses one against the Gophers

Elliot Uzelac...the man who decided to have Cory Sauter run the option.

That one play sort of sums up everything bad about Gopher football at the time - crappy/empty off campus stadium, horrible play, bad uniforms, underwhelming talent.
Remember that the 5 year stretch of “Wacker Wilderness” would start the following season. How did I manage to stay interested?

The Wacker era was really something.
Nicest guy in the world and he had a evening coaches show. Must have been late Saturday nights or Sunday.

Strong Christian. The guy wouldn't swear. Worst thing he would say was "Geezo-beezo!".
Positive coach. I remember turning on his show just waiting to see how he would respond one miserable loss after another. It was a lesson in the strength of optimism when there wasn't much to be optimistic about.

That was Gutey's last year, not quite yet Wacker.

I actually don't think our uniforms were that bad then. It got bad under Wacker, particularly the M & M years in 1994 & 1995.

That was Gutey's last year, not quite yet Wacker.

I actually don't think our uniforms were that bad then. It got bad under Wacker, particularly the M & M years in 1994 & 1995.

The M & M shoulders need to be brought back for a 1 game throwback

Is there video of the brawl with Ohio State the next year...Kratochvil from New Prague went after Herbstreit.

I mean we have seen some guys miss tackles this year but that tackling was on a whole nother level of bad. Especially where they essentially have him stopped with 3 guys in the area yet somehow he gets away. If it was Antwaan Randle El I could understand but don't think Herby had that much escapability in him.

Guaranteed that clip will surface at some point this weekend.

How quickly one forgets - this article has a photo of the “M and M” uniforms - which was ranked number 2 worst all time (at least when article was written in 2017)

No wonder they couldn’t beat anybody back then

How quickly one forgets - this article has a photo of the “M and M” uniforms - which was ranked number 2 worst all time (at least when article was written in 2017)
I did think that the M&M uniforms were the worst of all time. But then Iowa went with the feather uniforms the next season, which were even worse.

This clip comes back every year and man, we've come a long way. That old patchy green carpet with just an old bulb scoreboard and grainy Jumbotron in the Dome (which was actually high tech in it's day), the TV production values, the uniforms, making Kirk Herbstreit look like Tecmo Bo Jackson, and so forth

Whenever people lament that things aren't the way they used to be...good.

I did think that the M&M uniforms were the worst of all time. But then Iowa went with the feather uniforms the next season, which were even worse.

I submit Michigan State's STATE alternates this year.

During the Wacker years, I was in my "hunting phase" and have a lot of memories of listening to the games on the radio as we were road hunting, and skipping around from public land and sloughs to hunt pheasants and ducks. For me personally, a season like we are having now never felt further away than it did in those years.

Top Bottom