Henry Sibley upset

He is highly rated - but as a QB I think he is overrated. I am in the vast minority on this board because people on this board want all of our recruits to be the next Reggie Bush - but to be as realistic as possible as I try to be, especially since I have seen him play 3 years at QB I would be surprised (and slightly nervous) if he were to be our starting QB. I do think there is a place on the team for him to succeed, but I don't think it is at QB.

I know I am not a "professional evaluator of talent" and I know his supporting cast wasn't that great at Jefferson.....I get it. Those are always the comebacks to one of these posts.

All I can say is that I've seen him in action more than 99% people on this board - so we'll see what happens.

Spot on, in my opinion. I knew Moses pretty well his Sophomore year, and he's a nice kid.. even if he is a bit cocky. I hope he can excel, because it'd be great to see a kid I know and like do well, and because it would help the Gophers, but I think he's slightly overrated as well.

His little brother Marcus is going to be one of the top recruits from the state for 2011, and it wouldn't surprise me at all if Marcus ended up being the better recruit.

If a kid has size and a strong arm and decent intelligence a good coach can mold him into at the least a serviceable QB. With the raw skills Moses has I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a serviceable at worst QB in 3 yrs. Teach the kid to set his feet, get his mechanics right and he can be a player IMO

the situation is completely different when a kids family moves for the family and not his basketball career.
Sadly, the 2 often go hand-in-hand.

If the difference is their kid getting a better education (Hopkins is much better academically than any public Minneapolis school, for example) while gaining exposure and better coaching in order to get a college scholarship, there is a reason that thousands of struggling families in MN pick up and move districts in order to get their kid that scholarship (whether it be for sports, academics, etc)., and I don't think many people blame them. There are those that argue that if you are good enough, you will get a scholarship regardless of where you play; I totally disagree. It's not fair, but kids playing with programs that get state and national exposure have a much better chance of being seen by colleges than some kid playing for a team that doesn't.

As noted in the Strib the other day for example, 25% of the Hopkins' senior class is open enrollment students. 25%! That means out of a team of 16, 4 of them would be transfer students, on average (which is how many the team actually has). Surely all the 200 OE students out of the 800 in the Hopkins senior class didn't transfer because they wanted to play on the basketball team.

The state of MN created open enrollment to provide opportunities for families not happy with their district and its resources to go elsewhere. There are currently over 30,000 students in MN that participate in OE. You'll always have your Eden Prairie football, Apple Valley wrestling, Duluth, Warroad, Edina, Jefferson hockey, etc. should the practice continue. If everyone is worked up about it, they should contact their local representative and work to get it changed. Otherwise, plan on more of the same.

Regardless of how he got there...the end result was the same. Is it any different than Royce White moving to Hopkins for their education and basketball team? He was kicked out of his school, and had to go somewhere else.

A transfer is a transfer. People can justify it any way they want; the bottom line is that Bruesewitz transferred into a new school and took some kid's spot that was already on the team that had probably grown up playing with the Sibley players.

It happens all over the state of MN, and it's life. Again, to pretend it's just one school, or one sport is just ridiculous.

it's not like litchfield and sibley are thrity minutes apart and he could've kept going to litchfield. i don't get why you're so upset about this.

i don't get why you're so upset about this.
That's the thing; I'm not upset about at all...just the opposite.

I'm just feigning the same anger that some people write about when transfers "take the spot of a homegrown kid." I think it's life; too bad. If you're not good enough to play over a kid that comes in, you're not good enough. It's a dog eat dog world; you'd think more people would be used to it by now.

I don't understand the venom toward Brue. So he is going to Wisconsin, big deal. The Gophers did not offer him a scholarship and he went somewhere else. Some of you act like he is being a traitor or something. Here is a newsflash, he did not have the option to go to Minnesota on a basketball scholarship at the time he chose Wisconsin. He represented Minnesota Basketball very well in his career and helped his team win a lot of games. He was named Metro Player of the year by some newspaper, so what. It doesn't mean he is better then anyone else or will have a better college career. It is a stupid award given by the stupid local newspaper, just as every stupid local newspaper across the country gives.

And the typical Bo Ryan player comments. Are those supposed to be insults? If he is a typical Bo Ryan player, he will play in 4 NCAA tournaments and win a Big 10 title or two. I am sure he hopes to be a typical Bo Ryan player.

I don't get why everyone says Moses is "raw."

He's been a HS STARTING QB for four years and has been groomed by his dad to play the position all his life.

When you've had more experience and coaching than 99% of the people that play your position the last thing you should be qualified as is "raw."

Everytime I hear a scout say that I think they don't know what is going on and I get more nervous about his future as a Gopher.

I don't understand the venom toward Brue. So he is going to Wisconsin, big deal. The Gophers did not offer him a scholarship and he went somewhere else. Some of you act like he is being a traitor or something. Here is a newsflash, he did not have the option to go to Minnesota on a basketball scholarship at the time he chose Wisconsin. He represented Minnesota Basketball very well in his career and helped his team win a lot of games. He was named Metro Player of the year by some newspaper, so what. It doesn't mean he is better then anyone else or will have a better college career. It is a stupid award given by the stupid local newspaper, just as every stupid local newspaper across the country gives.

good point

Top Bottom