Henderson update via ESPN

Cmich Gopher

Reaction score
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/recruiting/tracker/player?page=onthetrail&recruitId=66585

Seantrel Henderson's father names four official visit destinations, top schools
Elite offensive tackle Seantrel Henderson's father, Sean Henderson, spoke with ESPN affiliate Web site Bucknuts.com about the current status of his son's recruitment.

"I can give you about six to eight of the schools he is considering. You have to keep the Gophers in there in case he decides to stay home, but I'm not real sure where that stands. There is Minnesota, Florida, Florida State, Oklahoma, Michigan, USC, I know Notre Dame's been on his list and Ohio State."

He continued, "I know his five official visits. He will definitely visit Ohio State, Oklahoma, USC and Florida. Florida State is one that could change. He might decide to visit somewhere else besides Florida State. He could visit both the Florida schools or he might just take one to Florida."

Mr. Henderson concluded, "I'm not going to rush him. I wouldn't be surprised if he waits until the last minute. He wants to win a state championship in football, then he has basketball."

We sound like an afterthought but i still am hoping for the best.

Our chances always sound better when Seantrel speaks than when his father speaks. I'm not sure what to make of that.

Recall that his father said last spring that USC was "our dream school."

I think with the old man, he may be more adept at speaking to the implied question. Telling them what they don't already know. I list of his impressive short list, and that seantrel will make up his mind when he's damn good and ready and is not wowed by any suitor. And i think he might get more pride out of that than seantrel, so is more apt to boast a bit.

Thats really the first time I've heard him visiting Oklahoma or Florida State. USC and Ohio State have been in the mix for a quite a while with Florida being mentioned more recently. I honestly believe it will come down to USC (if he wants to leave home) or Minnesota (if he wants to stay home or go Big 10).

The bottom line all along has been that the ONLY way the Gophers have a chance to Seantrel is if they have a strong season this fall. Nothing will change until we start playing in 2 months.

I don't know, maybe I am just stating the obvious or maybe I am reading too much into the history of players from C-DH.

But, my feeling is that if you are willing to bail on your home district program and play for a private school with the history of C-DH, you likely won't suddenly grow a big affinity for your home University. You enroll at C-DH to be seen. The same mentality that drives you to C-DH also makes places like Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, and Florida much more appealing that joining the effort to rebuild the MN image. I'd go as far as to say that C-DH players (especially the blue chippers) are pre-disposed to going elsewhere. Just my opinion, nothing more - and I certainly hope I am wrong.

I don't know, maybe I am just stating the obvious or maybe I am reading too much into the history of players from C-DH.

But, my feeling is that if you are willing to bail on your home district program and play for a private school with the history of C-DH, you likely won't suddenly grow a big affinity for your home University. You enroll at C-DH to be seen. The same mentality that drives you to C-DH also makes places like Ohio State, USC, Notre Dame, and Florida much more appealing that joining the effort to rebuild the MN image. I'd go as far as to say that C-DH players (especially the blue chippers) are pre-disposed to going elsewhere. Just my opinion, nothing more - and I certainly hope I am wrong.

Unfortunately I think you are spot on. CDH is pipeline out of this state.

I think anything less than a 9 win season and a lot of buzz around the stadium/team this year in the local media and we see Seantrel next year in the wrong shade of Maroon and Gold. A nine win season is about as probable as positive local media coverage, which is to say he is pretty much surely going out of state.

let's not forget that Henderson's first love in basketball. If any of these schools lets him play hoops and football, he would likely go there. There is a good chance that Henderson will be an all-state player in basketball this season, if not a candidate for Mr. Basketball. I'm sure Brewster wouldn't care. The questios is: Does Tubby have room on his squad for an inside bruiser that can rebound? Henderson has played on a traveling team with Harrison Barnes. A Gophers fan's true dream would be if the U got the top prospects in both football and basketball. Talk about putting Minnesota back on the map.

Completely disagree. If your kid has talent you send them to CDH because its only 1 of 2 schools within the sity limits of Mpls and StP that has proven it can actually develop talent to a D1 level. This isn't Miami where you can go to your neighborhood school and still get decent coaching and exposure. Going to CDH isn't 'bailing' on your home district either. I went to DeLaSalle and I wasn't 'bailing' on Roosevelt, I was just going to a place where I had a better chance to be succesful. Maybe if schools like Roosevelt and South actually developed talent and sent them to D1 schools parents with talented kids wouldn't feel like they had to send them elsewhere to help them get the most out of their talent. There is no mentality at CDH that sends them elsewhere, they are just kids. The fact is that Gopher football is usually an afterthought in the TC and unless your parents went there or you have a naturally storng sense of pride in your hometown school there's nothing really pulling you there. While we on GH and GI or wherever are big time fans most people don't care if you leave home to go elsewhere. This isn't Wisconsin or Ohio where the players good enough to play for the home school are expected and pressured to go there. They don't grow up seeing Gopher flags on cars all the time and watching the U play in big time bowl games and on national TV. I love the Gophers but I only have 1 other friend who is more than a casual Gopher fan although I have many who watch a ton of CFB and are from Mpls. That, more than anything is why guys leave. No hometown love for the local school, mediocre tradition, nobody really pressures you to stay home, and D1 schools nearby with winning programs and you can still drive home on the weekends

We obviously care about Iowa recruiting and were very concerned about Seantrel going to Iowa....

Completely disagree. If your kid has talent you send them to CDH because its only 1 of 2 schools within the sity limits of Mpls and StP that has proven it can actually develop talent to a D1 level. This isn't Miami where you can go to your neighborhood school and still get decent coaching and exposure. Going to CDH isn't 'bailing' on your home district either. I went to DeLaSalle and I wasn't 'bailing' on Roosevelt, I was just going to a place where I had a better chance to be succesful. Maybe if schools like Roosevelt and South actually developed talent and sent them to D1 schools parents with talented kids wouldn't feel like they had to send them elsewhere to help them get the most out of their talent. There is no mentality at CDH that sends them elsewhere, they are just kids. The fact is that Gopher football is usually an afterthought in the TC and unless your parents went there or you have a naturally storng sense of pride in your hometown school there's nothing really pulling you there. While we on GH and GI or wherever are big time fans most people don't care if you leave home to go elsewhere. This isn't Wisconsin or Ohio where the players good enough to play for the home school are expected and pressured to go there. They don't grow up seeing Gopher flags on cars all the time and watching the U play in big time bowl games and on national TV. I love the Gophers but I only have 1 other friend who is more than a casual Gopher fan although I have many who watch a ton of CFB and are from Mpls. That, more than anything is why guys leave. No hometown love for the local school, mediocre tradition, nobody really pressures you to stay home, and D1 schools nearby with winning programs and you can still drive home on the weekends

I see your perspective, but take issue with a couple of your points. First, while the coaches at CDH are fine I am sure, there are as good, if not better, coaches in many other programs throughout the cities. Remember, coaches look a lot better when the best athletes come to them. Henderson would be a top prospect if he was at Blaine, Minneapolis North, etc.

Your point centered on you going to DeLaSalle because you had better opportunities there. The original poster was making the point that many kids want to represent the community they grew up in and continue to participate with the kids they grew up with. There are a segment of students who don't hold those priorities (you were one). Kids with those perspectives would also seem likely to not feel the need to stay home and represent their state with their hometown team in college, just like they moved on in high school. Nothing wrong with that perspective, just noting a tendency. It seems to be a valid point.

Yes, I think we are going to have to agree to disagree. I was talking specifically about CDH and if their roster was 100% inner city kids, you might sway me. That isn't the case. They have plenty of athletes coming from great coaching in the suburbs. I also think there is plenty of pressure within Minnesota to play for the Gophers, it just seems as though the CDH kids are in general "better at resisting" that pressure compared to other places within the border. They have already resisted it in the past, with their decision to attend CDH. TWEBER's second paragraph is my point... exactly. I'd also reiterate that I am not saying any of that is WRONG. Everyone needs to do what they think is best for them and their future. Can't blame them for that.

I noticed a change in Henderson's favorites on ESPN.com's recruiting site this morning. For the past few months, the U has always been listed 3rd or 4th. Now, we are relegated to the "also recruited by" list, with FSU taking our place in the top 5. As much as we all want Henderson here, he is as good as gone.

By the way, I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong.

Completely disagree...I went to DeLaSalle and I wasn't 'bailing' on Roosevelt, I was just going to a place where I had a better chance to be succesful.

By any definition of the word, it is indeed bailing on your home district when you choose to go somewhere else. It can, at the same time, also be going elsewhere for a better opportunity. The two are not mutually exclusive.

You are wrong about Cretin. Take a look at the most recent Cretin players who accepted D-IA scholarship offers:

Michael Floyd - Notre Dame
Joe Schafer - Wisconsin
Shady Salamon - Minnesota
John Nance - Minnesota
Broderick Binns - Iowa
Matt Carufel - Notre Dame
Kim Royston - Wisconsin
Rafael Eubanks - Iowa
Ned Tavale - Minnesota
Reggie Rock - Iowa St.
Ryan Harris - Notre Dame
Joe Mauer - Florida St.

Three out of 12 committed to Minnesota. John Nance had no other D-IA offers. Shady chose us over Missouri. Nedward chose us over Iowa St. and Illinois (where he didn't even visit). So 2 guys in the last 9 years (who didn't have equivalent or "better" offers) chose the Gophers. If that's not a pipeline out of Minnesota, I don't know what is.

"I noticed a change in Henderson's favorites on ESPN.com's recruiting site this morning. For the past few months, the U has always been listed 3rd or 4th. Now, we are relegated to the "also recruited by" list, with FSU taking our place in the top 5. As much as we all want Henderson here, he is as good as gone."

I doubt ESPN knows anything special. The change you note probably is just a reflection of his dad's interview cited in this thread. Brewster has been on him for 3 years now. It would be shocking to me if we weren't in his final 2-3 schools, especially if we have a good year on the field.

"I noticed a change in Henderson's favorites on ESPN.com's recruiting site this morning. For the past few months, the U has always been listed 3rd or 4th. Now, we are relegated to the "also recruited by" list, with FSU taking our place in the top 5. As much as we all want Henderson here, he is as good as gone."

I doubt ESPN knows anything special. The change you note probably is just a reflection of his dad's interview cited in this thread. Brewster has been on him for 3 years now. It would be shocking to me if we weren't in his final 2-3 schools, especially if we have a good year on the field.

Yeah, this likely has more to do with the fact that we aren't on his official visit list. We will be in his final 3, even if it's nothing more than lip service. Like everyone else says, a solid season seems like it will give us a fighting chance though.

-Jan

I noticed a change in Henderson's favorites on ESPN.com's recruiting site this morning. For the past few months, the U has always been listed 3rd or 4th. Now, we are relegated to the "also recruited by" list, with FSU taking our place in the top 5. As much as we all want Henderson here, he is as good as gone.

By the way, I will gladly eat crow if I am wrong.

By any definition of the word, it is indeed bailing on your home district when you choose to go somewhere else. It can, at the same time, also be going elsewhere for a better opportunity. The two are not mutually exclusive.

You are wrong about Cretin. Take a look at the most recent Cretin players who accepted D-IA scholarship offers:

Michael Floyd - Notre Dame
Joe Schafer - Wisconsin
Shady Salamon - Minnesota
John Nance - Minnesota
Broderick Binns - Iowa
Matt Carufel - Notre Dame
Kim Royston - Wisconsin
Rafael Eubanks - Iowa
Ned Tavale - Minnesota
Reggie Rock - Iowa St.
Ryan Harris - Notre Dame
Joe Mauer - Florida St.

Three out of 12 committed to Minnesota. John Nance had no other D-IA offers. Shady chose us over Missouri. Nedward chose us over Iowa St. and Illinois (where he didn't even visit). So 2 guys in the last 9 years (who didn't have equivalent or "better" offers) chose the Gophers. If that's not a pipeline out of Minnesota, I don't know what is.

I'd argue that every last one of those guys that left went to programs that were much better than the U during that time period. If they were going to NW, Indiana and even MSU I'd agree with you but the prevailing pattern is that the guys who got offers from better teams left town, those that didn't stayed.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on the whole 'bailing' thing. If you have a chance to go to a school where 95% of graduates go on to college vs one where only about 50-60% of kids even graduate, that is not 'bailing'. When you're a good football player and you choose to go to a school that has had a lot of success athletically and will help you develop your ability vs a school that hasn't been to state in years and has a rag tag program, you're not 'bailing'. I stayed close with my neighborhood friends but I went where I can make the most of my life. By your logic moving to a better neighborhood once you make more money would be 'bailing' too. Going to any school other than your home state college is 'bailing' as well. Any kid that goes to a private school anywhere would be 'bailing' by that logic. I hope you can see how much I think of that silly statement of yours.

I see your perspective, but take issue with a couple of your points. First, while the coaches at CDH are fine I am sure, there are as good, if not better, coaches in many other programs throughout the cities. Remember, coaches look a lot better when the best athletes come to them. Henderson would be a top prospect if he was at Blaine, Minneapolis North, etc.

Your point centered on you going to DeLaSalle because you had better opportunities there. The original poster was making the point that many kids want to represent the community they grew up in and continue to participate with the kids they grew up with. There are a segment of students who don't hold those priorities (you were one). Kids with those perspectives would also seem likely to not feel the need to stay home and represent their state with their hometown team in college, just like they moved on in high school. Nothing wrong with that perspective, just noting a tendency. It seems to be a valid point.

Coaches definitely look better with better talent but are you trying to tell me that in the last 5 or so years there have only been 2 young men (Hageman and Jay Thomasin the entire Minneapolis and StPaul school districts with enough talent to play D1 ball? I don't buy it. I don't buy it because I knew guys with more athletic talent than guys I knew that went to play D1 ball but didn't know squat. These guys had terrible technique and little weight training. Sure some of that is the fault of them and their parents for not getting more out of their talent and some guys just never get it or care that much, but some of the fault is on their coaches who failed to teach them or get them in the weight room. If you play for CDH or DLS you have to get in the weight room and you learn how to play football. Those teams don't send more guys to D1 simply because they have talent, they develop the talent they have.

As far as priorities your pretty off, IMO. Most kids graduating from 8th grade want to stay in their own neighborhood. Its the parents who decide that it may be better to go elsewhere. Roosevelt is not a great high school. I had friends all over the city and I also had a number of friends headed to DLS in the fall including one of my oldest friends. I went to a neighborhood Catholic school from 2nd-8th grade and a bunch of my friends from there were headed to D so contrary to your 100% uninformed statement I WAS styaing with my friends. My priorities were just fine and don't give me the whole 'kids want to represent their neighborhood' crap because its false. Minneapolis has magnet programs so kids can go to different schools. Kids who lived by Henry went to North and kids from my block went to Washburn. Nobody cared about repping their neighborhood. Folks did rep their side (north, south) though and we did at De too. Also what debunks that whole theory is that kids from puclic schools have passed on the U too (WLA, etc) while a guy with seemingly no loyalty to an area in Royce White committed to the U despite going to a private school (gasp!) and then moving to a new district to play for Hopkins (double gasp!)

I'd argue that every last one of those guys that left went to programs that were much better than the U during that time period. If they were going to NW, Indiana and even MSU I'd agree with you but the prevailing pattern is that the guys who got offers from better teams left town, those that didn't stayed.

We're gonna have to agree to disagree on the whole 'bailing' thing. If you have a chance to go to a school where 95% of graduates go on to college vs one where only about 50-60% of kids even graduate, that is not 'bailing'. When you're a good football player and you choose to go to a school that has had a lot of success athletically and will help you develop your ability vs a school that hasn't been to state in years and has a rag tag program, you're not 'bailing'. I stayed close with my neighborhood friends but I went where I can make the most of my life. By your logic moving to a better neighborhood once you make more money would be 'bailing' too. Going to any school other than your home state college is 'bailing' as well. Any kid that goes to a private school anywhere would be 'bailing' by that logic. I hope you can see how much I think of that silly statement of yours.

I think you are arguing for the sake of arguing. Would you believe you are actually AGREEING with the point:

CDH kids find it easier to decide to go to out-of-state schools.

It sounds like that is what you are saying and that is exactly what I (and I think the others) are saying. CDH kids didn't have a problem dropping their home program to participate in a better one in high school, so it is the same kind of personality that doesn't have a problem doing it again when the college choice is made. I'm not saying it is wrong, and I don't think anyone else is hammering on them either. Just making the observation... which it appears you agree with but want to argue and disagree about.

You did seem to miss the comment about the suburban kids going to CDH. How about the ones giving up on Edina and their tops-in-state education to attend CDH to play ball? Again, nothing wrong with it... just making the observation.

Other top football players from Minnesota occasionally also make the decision to pass on Gopher offers to attend other more noteworthy programs. The point is the percentage from CDH is a lot HIGHER. Just making the observation and connecting it to the fact these same kids have already made the decision to drop their local programs once... so it makes sense they would be more likely to do it AGAIN.

I don't think they are bad or wrong, and would you believe I don't think you are wrong either? Just a bit strange for wanting to argue for the sake of arguing.

By your logic moving to a better neighborhood once you make more money would be 'bailing' too. Going to any school other than your home state college is 'bailing' as well.

These points are irrelevant. By definition, virtually all primary and secondary students go to school in the district where they reside. A very small minority choose to go out of district.

By contrast, people move all the time. Likewise, people go to college out of state all the time.

As soon as it becomes the norm, rather than the exception, I will agree with you that going to a private school (or being recruited to a "magnet" public school) is not bailing.

And Jay Thomas went to Tartan, btw.

I think you are arguing for the sake of arguing. Would you believe you are actually AGREEING with the point:

CDH kids find it easier to decide to go to out-of-state schools.

It sounds like that is what you are saying and that is exactly what I (and I think the others) are saying. CDH kids didn't have a problem dropping their home program to participate in a better one in high school, so it is the same kind of personality that doesn't have a problem doing it again when the college choice is made. I'm not saying it is wrong, and I don't think anyone else is hammering on them either. Just making the observation... which it appears you agree with but want to argue and disagree about.

You did seem to miss the comment about the suburban kids going to CDH. How about the ones giving up on Edina and their tops-in-state education to attend CDH to play ball? Again, nothing wrong with it... just making the observation.

Other top football players from Minnesota occasionally also make the decision to pass on Gopher offers to attend other more noteworthy programs. The point is the percentage from CDH is a lot HIGHER. Just making the observation and connecting it to the fact these same kids have already made the decision to drop their local programs once... so it makes sense they would be more likely to do it AGAIN.

I don't think they are bad or wrong, and would you believe I don't think you are wrong either? Just a bit strange for wanting to argue for the sake of arguing.

I didn't dispute that CDH kids find it easy to leave the state. What I do dispute is the notion that CDH kids are any different than any other kids. What I'm saying is that CDH kids aren't more likely to leave state than kids from other schools. I don't have the numbers but I'd argue that there is little to no difference percentage wise from the number of CDH kids that go play ball out of state than the number of kids from other schools that regularly produce D1 players with multiple options. CDH appears different because of the number of athletes they have. What you're missing is that people with options often make a variety of different choices. Iowa gets a good percentage of their instate basketball players because they don't produce many and those they do usually aren't good enough to get offers from programs better than Iowa. When they do produce kids with that type of talent they usually leave the state. It has nothing to do with a kid's inherent loyalty, it has to do with recruits generally going to schools that match their talent level. 4 star players go to 4 star programs generally. Really talented incoming high school freshmen go where other really talented kids go. You are implying that there is a certain mentality exclusively found at CDH or other private schools that makes it more likely that those kids will leave state and that's just false. They leave state because they're good enough to play at programs that get on national TV and compete for championships and the local team doesn't provide those options as of right now. If the U is winning many of those kids will stay home and its the same everywhere

It is over with Bobby Jackson. Even his father's recent interview cearly hinted at the secondary recruiting status of the U.

The only possible chance rests with the Gophers becoming a local and college sensation as they move into the new stadium....and they have a better year than anyone expected. Henderson will have to come the conclusion that the things that can happen at USC and Florida can also happen at Minnesota. That is a very tall order. He is gone.

These points are irrelevant. By definition, virtually all primary and secondary students go to school in the district where they reside. A very small minority choose to go out of district.

By contrast, people move all the time. Likewise, people go to college out of state all the time.

As soon as it becomes the norm, rather than the exception, I will agree with you that going to a private school (or being recruited to a "magnet" public school) is not bailing.

And Jay Thomas went to Tartan, btw.

Actually those points are valid. You said 'By any definition of the word, it is indeed bailing on your home district when you choose to go somewhere else'

Bail : to give up on or abandon something, as to evade a responsibility

Unless you want to make the claim that it is a kid's responsibility to go to their local school you're 100% wrong by this very clear definition of the word. A kid is responsible for his own education not to their school district which their paren't assist through taxes any way if they are a home owner. Also about 10-12% of kids are in private school these days so while it's still not the majority its a very significant portion and that's not even including the kids that go to public schools in different districts

There is a lot of fail in this thread.

1) Mason and the CDH coach did not have a strong relationship. This hurt Mason's ability to recruit CDH. Yes, you can show a correlation between CDH and leaving the state but correlation is not causation. Even if it was causation, the change in head coaches has changed the frequency of players from CDH that leave the state--not that the sample size is adequate.

2) You can show a similar correlation with highly ranked recruits leaving the state but everybody is just focusing on CDH. It may go back further but I can remember players in the 90's like Mike McCullough (Chaska) to ND, Jason Kapsner (EP) to Mich, Leroy McFadden (EP) to MSU, Ben Joppru (Mtka) to Mich, etc and more recent players like Mobley (EP) to OSU, Lauranitis (Wayzata) to OSU, and Murtha (Hutch) to Nebraska and I could make a much longer list if I wanted to...Byrd, Fitzgerald, etc.

3) It is up to you whether you choose to believe the ESPN article but I'm not a Bill Kurelic fan becuase he shows very little respect for Minnesota and rarely mentions them in his "Midwest" (Ohio) blog. He wrote the article which is why Minnesota & Michigan (considered 2 of the top 3 contenders w/USC and two places he has taken unofficial visits) disappear from the list but OSU is all of a sudden the favorite and Florida is a primary contender with schools he hasn't yet visited due to the expense. He came to our camp less than a month ago so unless things have drastically changed he seems to have authentic interest in Minnesota.

The majority of CDH students (including athletes) were never in public school or as you call it, "their home district" in the first place. Nobody spends tens of thousands of dollars to be "seen," that's absurd. You spend the money to educate your children. School jumping in search of the perfect sports situation is prevalent in the public school system were its free. Not so much when it cost $15,000 a year.

Its unfortunate when people who are on the outside and to be frank, not that knowledgeable about the school, make wild assertions.

I respect that you are entitled to an opinon but you're dissing a whole lot of people who work extemely hard to educate themselves and/or their children by claiming they are searching for athletic fame instead of a quality education in the environment (religious) of their choosing.:cool02:

There is a lot of fail in this thread.

1) Mason and the CDH coach did not have a strong relationship. This hurt Mason's ability to recruit CDH. Yes, you can show a correlation between CDH and leaving the state but correlation is not causation. Even if it was causation, the change in head coaches has changed the frequency of players from CDH that leave the state--not that the sample size is adequate.

2) You can show a similar correlation with highly ranked recruits leaving the state but everybody is just focusing on CDH. It may go back further but I can remember players in the 90's like Mike McCullough (Chaska) to ND, Jason Kapsner (EP) to Mich, Leroy McFadden (EP) to MSU, Ben Joppru (Mtka) to Mich, etc and more recent players like Mobley (EP) to OSU, Lauranitis (Wayzata) to OSU, and Murtha (Hutch) to Nebraska and I could make a much longer list if I wanted to...Byrd, Fitzgerald, etc.

3) It is up to you whether you choose to believe the ESPN article but I'm not a Bill Kurelic fan becuase he shows very little respect for Minnesota and rarely mentions them in his "Midwest" (Ohio) blog. He wrote the article which is why Minnesota & Michigan (considered 2 of the top 3 contenders w/USC and two places he has taken unofficial visits) disappear from the list but OSU is all of a sudden the favorite and Florida is a primary contender with schools he hasn't yet visited due to the expense. He came to our camp less than a month ago so unless things have drastically changed he seems to have authentic interest in Minnesota.

Mason's relationship with the CDH coaches had no effect on player recruitment. What did have an effect was that Mason seldom if ever would bother to drive 15 minutes over to the school while Charlie Weis, Barry Alvarez and a number of other coaches would travel hundreds of miles. Truth be told, Mason did not recruit very hard.

As a parent of a CDH athlete and friends with the parents of several dozen other recruited athletes, I have never heard a negative word from the CDH staff about attending the University of Minnesota

Top Bottom