Help me to understand........

Reaction score
why Mike Bellotti is a good choice. I know about his success at Oregon. But he turns 60 in December. There is so very little Big Ten talent on this roster and not nearly enough scholarship players number wise. The usually history of coaching changes show lots of roster changes which only compound the problem. This could be a 3-4 year process just to get the numbers and talent level up to a competitive level. Which puts him at 63-64 and getting ready to retire.

Why the administration would pick Mike Leach. Leach was dismissed at Texas Tech for a player incident. Read between the lines and you know that his ego and act was wearing very thin and they were looking for an excuse to fire him. As a retiring president and soon to be retiring AD, it seems unlikely that they would want to leave the next people in charge a guy with his reputation.

Now it appears that the same could be said for Gary Patterson, a man whose character has come into question with his attempt to get a concussed player into a game, berating the team doctor in order to do so.

Kevein Sumlin- Took over a Hoouston program that was on the way up because of Art Briles. Briles left Sumlin a great situation and Sumlin did very well his 1st season. The 2nd season not quite as good. Third season they are now 4-3 with a very bad loss to Rice. Yes, they lost their very good QB. But they have not played very good defense in any of his three years. This program needs someone with a defensive reputation.

Why Jim Harbaugh would leave Stanford to come to Minnesota when the coach at his alma mater is pprobably on his way out and he could punch his ticket at Michigan? Right now, this guy could probably have any open job he wants. Why go to MN, where you will be starting twenty yards behind the starting blocks?

Why a reputable coach in a good situation would come to Minnesota and enter a situation where there is going to be an unknown president when the season starts next fall and most likely a new AD after your first season? Veteran coaches, I believe, are usually very concerend about who there boss is going to be. Don't believe me? Ask Tubby Smith. There is no question that he has put his name out there. If Oregon had an AD in place last spring, I think he would have been their next coach.

Speaking of Tubby Smith, why is Joel Maturi saying we need to find a "Tubby Smith" for this position? Don't get me wrong, I know Tubby has had a great career. But at the U of MN, he has been a .500 coach in Big Ten play, is 0-3 in the post season, and has made a living out of beating up bad nonconference teams (sound familiar Glen Mason)? Is that really the standard?

Why Maturi has boxed himself into a corner saying he wants a veteran name coach, who will focus on the Iowa-Wisconsin model? So now if they can't get that type of coach, what does that say? If they end up with a coordinator, they have already declared that he is far from their 1st choice. He should have apporached this saying as little as possible about what he wants so that he is not setting up the next coach for failure if he ends up not meeting the profile Mature has said he is after.

Speaking of Tubby Smith, why is Joel Maturi saying we need to find a "Tubby Smith" for this position? Don't get me wrong, I know Tubby has had a great career. But at the U of MN, he has been a .500 coach in Big Ten play, is 0-3 in the post season, and has made a living out of beating up bad nonconference teams (sound familiar Glen Mason)? Is that really the standard?

I suppose last years big ten tournament run was just a fluke.

Great post - agreed Joel should have never discussed what his model of success with his hire looks like because I don't see why a strong candidate/big name in college football would take this high risk job -- to get fired in 5 years like everyone else? His options = up in comer (Sumlin), look for 1 last chance (Belotti) - don't see how that fits what he discussed last sunday afternoon.

Don't disagree about your take on Maturi.

But is there anyone you like or are we effed regardless?

60 is not what it used to be.

The Gophers just lost to a team coached by a man who is 83 years old. And his offensive coordinator is 70. Their "youthful" DC who is expected to eventually take over for Paterno is 55 years old and has coached at PSU for decades.

Up in comers - Golden, Sumlin, Hoke would be great choices. I think Hoke is the steal in this group.

On last chance = Belotti, Barnett = also great choices, but running on empty.

Joel is going to have to eat some crow when he announces Hoke, Sumlin or Golden as the head coach on 12/1.

i disagree with your statement that there is so little 'big ten talent' on this team.

There is talent on this team. The coaching is poor and the schemes are even worse. Especially on Defense.

Three straight 20 win seasons for the first time in school history
Back to back tournaments for the first time in 20 years
Reached the big ten title game for the first time in school history
Beat Louisville and Butler.

3399, agree with most of your points. I've been switching back and forth between Leach and Bellotti, but I've kind of cooled on both. I've read a fair number of newspaper articles about Leach and if we hire him there's going to be some fairly negative press all over the country. His type of offense and lack of defense is also a concern. Plus, no one knows what impact the James incident could have on recruiting.

I could still see Bellotti, but in two or three years his age/retirement would become an issue with recruits wanting to know if he'd still be here their senior year. It still might work if they named a "coach in waiting" at some point and hired the coordinators with this option in mind.

My mind has changed so much that I'm now thinking more and more about the Navy coach, but that will probably change tomorrow.

Great post - agreed Joel should have never discussed what his model of success with his hire looks like because I don't see why a strong candidate/big name in college football would take this high risk job -- to get fired in 5 years like everyone else? His options = up in comer (Sumlin), look for 1 last chance (Belotti) - don't see how that fits what he discussed last sunday afternoon.

I am tired of these types of posts from guys who just joined this website. High risk job? Get fired in 5 years like everyone else? You don't know who Maturi's options are, but you lke to limit them to make your point. There's a lot of potential at Minnesota as evidenced by programs like Wisconsin, Iowa, and Missouri having success. The last time this job was open we had numerous posters claiming guys like Charlie Strong and Lane Kiffin would NEVER come to Minnesota.

Three straight 20 win seasons for the first time in school history
Back to back tournaments for the first time in 20 years
Reached the big ten title game for the first time in school history
Beat Louisville and Butler.

20 win seasons is NOT a big deal anymore. It should be NO PROBLEM for a coach of Tubby's stature to win 20. LOOK at the teams on the non-con sched.

Yes, did reach the conf title game; very poor play down the strech however.

N
Zero wins in the NCAA.

All of that said, sure glad TS is at MN. Time to win is now.

About an hour later, I'm back favoring Bellotti. First, I'd take issue with the OP that at 63-64 he'd be looking at retiring. Who says? And please don't anyone say he would lack the energy. I'm around his age and I have more energy and enthusiasm than most people 20 years younger and I've been through stage 5 cancer. (I'm just saying that you can't make unfounded generalizations about anyone.) If Bellotti would commit to coaching 7-8 years, he'd be back in my number one spot.

20 win seasons is NOT a big deal anymore. It should be NO PROBLEM for a coach of Tubby's stature to win 20. LOOK at the teams on the non-con sched.

Roy Williams won 19 games his first year at North Carolina. He needed a run to the NIT championship game to reach 20 last year.

2009-10: 44th toughest schedule in the country (out of 340+)
2008-09: 30th toughest schedule in the country

Roy Williams won 19 games his first year at North Carolina. He needed a run to the NIT championship game to reach 20 last year.

BOX

Roy and NC? OK

National Champions.

MN - Zero wins in NCAA to this point.

It's not at ALL clear that there is no talent on this roster. Bad coaching can make a talented roster look bad. There will be something for the next coach to work with. I don't mind a 60 year old coach. He can rebuild the team, and the transition to the next coach can be an orderly transition, rather than hiring because the team is bad or because the coach took another job.

This is a high risk job for anyone doing well at a current BCS conference school. These are where the "names are in college football". Coaches on life support and coaches still looking for that big job would take this in a minute - nothing to lose coaching at Houston, San Diego State, Temple, but anyone else -- this would be a high risk. Harbaugh, Stoops, Pinkel - worst mistake of their lives would be to take the job here.

why Mike Bellotti is a good choice. I know about his success at Oregon. But he turns 60 in December. There is so very little Big Ten talent on this roster and not nearly enough scholarship players number wise.

First of all, false. The issue on this team is definitely not talent. It is talent development.

PantherHawk. Leave this board. You are pathetic.

This is a high risk job for anyone doing well at a current BCS conference school. These are where the "names are in college football". Coaches on life support and coaches still looking for that big job would take this in a minute - nothing to lose coaching at Houston, San Diego State, Temple, but anyone else -- this would be a high risk. Harbaugh, Stoops, Pinkel - worst mistake of their lives would be to take the job here.

Really "Gopher"95?

EG#9 - tell me why this is a great job for an active head coach of a BCS conference team?

Yes, did reach the conf title game; very poor play down the strech however.

What do you define as "the stretch"? From crushing Wisconsin on Feb 18th and on we played quite well, the nightmare in Ann Arbor aside. 7-4 to close the season, with wins over Wisconsin, Mich. st., Purdue, a 1 point loss to Purdue, crucial road win at fellow bubble team Illinois.

But I guess if you call the stretch mid-Jan to mid-Feb, then yea, you're correct.

EG#9 - tell me why this is a great job for an active head coach of a BCS conference team?

Other than Harbaugh, who most folks agree is not going to happen, which active BCS head coaches are being discussed? Since you are new to the board, here is a truth most yahoos on here hold self evident:

Maturi is a boob

You are preaching to the choir when you say that an active BCS head coach will not come here, regardless of what Maturi might be spewing. Bellotti, Barnett, Leach, Golden, Sumlin, Hoke, Frazier, and (God forbid) Trestman are not BCS coaches. Those are pretty much the names thrown around right now.

Further, other than coaches leaving the Big East, and I would argue that Minnesota is a better job than any in the Big East, which coaches in recent memory have left one BCS school for another?

It's not a great job for an active BCS head coach, but that does not mean an active BCS head coach wouldn't take it. Who knows what might motivate a coach to take this job or what might motivate someone to turn it down. There could be professional reasons, personal reasons. Point is, you don't know until you ask. Still the instant gratification part of me wants Bellotti so we can start moving forward right now.

Yes, lack of Big Ten talent

I have a hard time understanding how one could not feel there is a lack of Big Ten talent on this team. Maybe I just have a different definition. I do not mean a few good players. I am talking about being able to do what WIsconsin did yesterday. They lost Borland weeks ago. They played without Toon, their best WR. They played with Kohout, a starting DT. White goes down. Konz goes down. Kendricks goes down. Clay is dinged up. Taylor plays about half the game because he has been hurt. Still, they go on the road and beat a very good team like Iowa. That is the kind of Big Ten talent and depth I am talking about. The Gophers are a long long way away from fielding a roster that can absorb those kinds of dings and have the talent to win. IF you think there is a lot of Big Ten talent on this roster, I believe your sights are set really low.

Holtz was 62 when he took over South Carolina and he got that program back from the the basement to competitive in the SEC before a "bigger name" coach in Steve Spurrier took over. Hiring Bellotti would be trying to mirror the same thing. It might not work but it's a risk worth taking, IMHO.

I have a hard time understanding how one could not feel there is a lack of Big Ten talent on this team. Maybe I just have a different definition. I do not mean a few good players. I am talking about being able to do what WIsconsin did yesterday. They lost Borland weeks ago. They played without Toon, their best WR. They played with Kohout, a starting DT. White goes down. Konz goes down. Kendricks goes down. Clay is dinged up. Taylor plays about half the game because he has been hurt. Still, they go on the road and beat a very good team like Iowa. That is the kind of Big Ten talent and depth I am talking about. The Gophers are a long long way away from fielding a roster that can absorb those kinds of dings and have the talent to win. IF you think there is a lot of Big Ten talent on this roster, I believe your sights are set really low.

The funniest thing about PantherHawk is that he always does this. He makes ridiculous statements under one alias. And then when people rightfully call him on his BS he lends support to his initial opinion with another Alias.

PANTHERHAWK! Anyone with half a brain knows it's you. Go away. I bet you are too scared to even show up to the Bank for the Iowa game. If I spot you I know where I'm gonna dump out my 4 dollar pop.

I pretty much summed up my answer in another thread, but here is why Bellotti would be my #1 choice and his age doesn't bother me....

(1) 60 isn't THAT old in the coaching world.
- Nick Saban and Jim Tressell are in their late 50s (countless other coaches 55+), and I don't think anyone is thinking that Alabama is going to have to start thinking of their next head coach. If Bellotti can coach here for 6 seasons, we are in a great position. The guy is a good coach and would be able to set up his system in 6 seasons. I don't think expecting Bellotti to coach into his mid 60's is out of the question, in fact, I don't even think it's a stretch.

(2) We could hire a successor from within
-This one is the real icing on the cake with hiring Mike Bellotti. Probably the best thing about him is how well he is able to find other great coaches. In today's age in college football, a lot of the most succesful programs have replaced coaches from within (obvious sign the program was heading in the right direction). Well, just take a look at some of the top notch assistants that cut their teeth with Mike Bellotti. Two of his offensive coordinators were Peterson (Boise St. HC) and Chip Kelly (Oregon HC), he worked with the Boise offensive coordinators, the current D Coordinator at Oregon is sort of thought of in the same breath that people in the Big 10 think of Norm Parker. My point being that I would be 100% confident that Bellotti would build an exceptionally strong coaching staff around him, and the next MN coach would come from that lot.

So my thinking of Bellotti is like this....we'd get a very good coach for 5-8 seasons who is a proven winner, and then we would get him to essentially pick our next coach (last two are currently 1st and 2nd ranked teams in the country) instead of Joel Maturi.

Could there be a better fit for our current situation?

There is so very little Big Ten talent on this roster

You lost all credibility with this uneducated blunder. Brewster's recruits have more BCS offers than every class in Mason's entire tenure combined.

There is plenty of talent on this roster. We just need someone to coach it up.

which coaches in recent memory have left one BCS school for another?

Lane Kiffin
Gene Chizik
Tom O'Brien
Houston Nutt
Mack Brown

So not many.:rolleyes:

And, just out of curiousity, why did you add the "excluding the Big East" addendum to your question? To try to make your point stronger? Is the Big East, or is it not, a BCS conference? As you can see, the Big East is not the only BCS conference that coaches leave to take other college jobs.

Top Bottom