Hello Gophers, from a CSU fan.

Headbutt

Reaction score
I went ahead and registered with your board looking for a little discussion on the upcoming tilt.

First of all, welcome to Ft. Collins. I am confident that all who are making the trip will be treated with respect and a little bit of ribbing. Any questions about the area, feel free to ask. Mostly though, I'd love to discuss the game.

Personally, I think we have a much better shot at a W than most of you seem to think. It's hard to judge since you folks lost a tough one to the #2 team last week, and we cruised against a pee-wee team, but I do think I saw some things that give me hope. Hopefully it wasn't the respective opponents that made me see those things, but I saw them. Not calling for a RAM W, but I do see it as much more possible than most here seem to.

Don't tell me that CSU sucks or that the Gophers are the second coming of the '85 Bears, just tell me why you're going to kick our a** and I'll let you know if I disagree. For starters, I thought your front 7 looked pretty slow when I watched the TCU game. Big and nasty, but slow.

What say you?

And no, I'm not trolling. Looking for honest opinions.

I agree with you and think this should be a good game. This game will come down to our Oline. If we can actually open up some holes for our running backs and give our QB time we win this game easy.

When you say you think our front 7 looked pretty slow are you talking about our defense? Our defense is anything but slow. In fact our defense is the least of my worries about playing you guys. I know you have a good offense, but we just held TCU to 23 points. If we can move the ball I guess I don't see you guys beating that.

I thought our biggest problem on offense against TCU was that we didn't have a healthy left guard. Hopefully that won't be a problem Saturday.

I thought our biggest problem on offense against TCU was that we didn't have a healthy left guard. Hopefully that won't be a problem Saturday.

You mean Left Tackle? Our left tackle hurt his neck watching the DE's go running by every play...

I think this will be a good game. I haven't watched CSU, only know what I read. Sounds like u got a solid new head coach and a really good DC. Challenge for MN will be to bring the enthusiasm and sharpness after playing a HUGE game last week and coming up short. Biggest area of concern will be our O line. They have to pass block better. If Campion is full go that will be huge! He's probably our best O lineman. I think you're fan base is underestimating our defense. If this game was in MN I wouldn't give u guys much of a chance at all, but in FT Collins, coming off playing the 2nd ranked team in the country, I think you guys definitely have a legitimate chance. I'll be heading up to the game from AZ and they'll be a lot of MN fans there. I look forward to seeing Ft. Collins. I have a lot of respect for your program. MN is a different team under Jerry Kill. Always plays very hard, never gives up, physical, and mentally tough. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with you and think this should be a good game. This game will come down to our Oline. If we can actually open up some holes for our running backs and give our QB time we win this game easy.

When you say you think our front 7 looked pretty slow are you talking about our defense? Our defense is anything but slow. In fact our defense is the least of my worries about playing you guys. I know you have a good offense, but we just held TCU to 23 points. If we can move the ball I guess I don't see you guys beating that.

Yeah, your D front 7 is who I was referring to. Just my take, but they looked slow. Maybe that was TCU speed, maybe that was 1st game thinking before reacting, but watching my team and your team it struck me that we were much faster on O than you were on D. Hey, I could be wrong, I'm no D1 coach, but that's how I saw it. Like I said though, big and nasty. Tons of respect for the athleticism of your secondary, but thought your front 7 failed to get where they needed to be in time quite often.

As for your O-line plowing the ground for your running game, that is my biggest worry. I think we match up much better against a passing team. Our D-line is dinky and fairly young. Our DC will have to find some creative ways to slow down your running game or we will be in a world of hurt. We have a lot of speed and talent in the area of "pass rush", so it would be helpful if you guys can find a way to turn the ball over on your first two or three possessions and force yourselves into an aerial battle. We can match up pretty well with that.

We're starting a RS Frosh at QB, but he's loaded with weapons. If we can be pretty mistake free in the passing game it will be a problem for you. We have a guy who is arguably the best WR in the country, and a few others that really aren't that far behind him. That's one of the gifts that McElwain left us. Our starting TE finished third in all conference voting in '13, took '14 off due to injury and has passed up last years 1st team all conference TE for the starting job. Yeah, I know it's the MWC, but we do have top end players. Just not as many as the B1G. The few we have are good enough to shine in any conference. Our receiving corps fits that bill.

Wanna' talk altitude. :D

I think this will be a good game. I haven't watched CSU, only know what I read. Sounds like u got a solid new head coach and a really good DC. Challenge for MN will be to bring the enthusiasm and sharpness after playing a HUGE game last week and coming up short. Biggest area of concern will be our O line. They have to pass block better. If Campion is full go that will be huge! He's probably our best O lineman. I think you're fan base is underestimating our defense. If this game was in MN I wouldn't give u guys much of a chance at all, but in FT Collins, coming off playing the 2nd ranked team in the country, I think you guys definitely have a legitimate chance. I'll be heading up to the game from AZ and they'll be a lot of MN fans there. I look forward to seeing Ft. Collins. I have a lot of respect for your program. MN is a different team under Jerry Kill. Always plays very hard, never gives up, physical, and mentally tough. Good luck.

Yes, lot's of respect for Kill in these parts. Lots of respect for Minnesota FB in general. Don't get the idea I'm being arrogant by saying we can match up in some phases, I'm not. Everybody in FC knows that we'll have to play over our heads to make this happen. Just saying that I expect the team to show up for a big one. Kill thinks enough of CSU that he did some prep work in the spring on us according to the papers. A pretty common thing to do, but not for a team that you're not concerned about. I'll take that as respect and appreciate it.

You mean Left Tackle? Our left tackle hurt his neck watching the DE's go running by every play...

You're right. I meant Left Tackle. If Campion is ready to go, it should make a big difference.

Jerry Kill knows we can lose in FC, he's worried

Yes, lot's of respect for Kill in these parts. Lots of respect for Minnesota FB in general. Don't get the idea I'm being arrogant by saying we can match up in some phases, I'm not. Everybody in FC knows that we'll have to play over our heads to make this happen. Just saying that I expect the team to show up for a big one. Kill thinks enough of CSU that he did some prep work in the spring on us according to the papers. A pretty common thing to do, but not for a team that you're not concerned about. I'll take that as respect and appreciate it.

Most Gopher fans fear a let down. Not overlooking this game.

Yeah, your D front 7 is who I was referring to. Just my take, but they looked slow. Maybe that was TCU speed, maybe that was 1st game thinking before reacting, but watching my team and your team it struck me that we were much faster on O than you were on D. Hey, I could be wrong, I'm no D1 coach, but that's how I saw it. Like I said though, big and nasty. Tons of respect for the athleticism of your secondary, but thought your front 7 failed to get where they needed to be in time quite often.

As for your O-line plowing the ground for your running game, that is my biggest worry. I think we match up much better against a passing team. Our D-line is dinky and fairly young. Our DC will have to find some creative ways to slow down your running game or we will be in a world of hurt. We have a lot of speed and talent in the area of "pass rush", so it would be helpful if you guys can find a way to turn the ball over on your first two or three possessions and force yourselves into an aerial battle. We can match up pretty well with that.

We're starting a RS Frosh at QB, but he's loaded with weapons. If we can be pretty mistake free in the passing game it will be a problem for you. We have a guy who is arguably the best WR in the country, and a few others that really aren't that far behind him. That's one of the gifts that McElwain left us. Our starting TE finished third in all conference voting in '13, took '14 off due to injury and has passed up last years 1st team all conference TE for the starting job. Yeah, I know it's the MWC, but we do have top end players. Just not as many as the B1G. The few we have are good enough to shine in any conference. Our receiving corps fits that bill.

If you watched us hold one of the fastest offenses in CFB to 23 points with the longest gain being 23 yards and your main takeaway was that our front 7 was slow then its probably a waste of time having a football discussion here. Just saying that's a pretty poor observation especially when that front 7 includes at least 2 seniors likely to be drafted specifically for their athleticism in Campbell and Cocheran.

If you watched us hold one of the fastest offenses in CFB to 23 points with the longest gain being 23 yards and your main takeaway was that our front 7 was slow then its probably a waste of time having a football discussion here. Just saying that's a pretty poor observation especially when that front 7 includes at least 2 seniors likely to be drafted specifically for their athleticism in Campbell and Cocheran.

And 7 of their points was on a 15 yard field...

Maybe you are talking how a couple times Boykin was able to run away from our line backers? If so.. Boykin can probably outrun almost every linebacker in college. I agree with oleboy, that is a very poor sports take on your part. Especially when you are comparing it to your offense's performance against the worst team possible. There are high school teams that could look fast against them...

Don't tell me that CSU sucks or that the Gophers are the second coming of the '85 Bears, just tell me why you're going to kick our a** and I'll let you know if I disagree.

I don't think anyone on the board thinks CSU sucks at all. I also don't think you'll find anyone who will claim this team can just show up and win at will regardless of who we play.

Looking at the match up, I think it favors us a bit.

Our strength is running the ball. That was a weakness for you last year. I get there is a new scheme etc, but if we execute we have a couple of backs that have some serious speed. This appears to be in favor of our style of play, but since you guys played a high school jv team in your first game, we really don't know that.

Also, with the quality players you have on offense, we have one of the best secondaries in college football. This should be a good matchup, but you don't have Doctson and Killenbe at WR two of the fastest WRs in the country. Given our performance against those two, I like our chances against a talented but not top 5 offense in the country.

I will disagree with you on our front 7 being slow. We may not be the fastest front 7 in college football, but or d-line executed the scheme we wanted to for the most part against TCU and more than one of their fans commented on the speed and ability of our Dline.

Overall the schemes you're running now (at least from what I've read) fit in with the teams we're built to beat. And for that reason I like our chances and expect to win.

Not betting the house on it, and it's no disrespect to CSU. I don't think it will be easy, but I do think we will surprise you at how good of a defense we are and our offense takes advantage of defenses like the one you fielded last year, warts and all on our offensive capabilities.

Looking forward to the game and hope it is a good clean contest that is fun to watch and no one gets hurt.

Most Gopher fans fear a let down. Not overlooking this game.

No, I doubt the team is overlooking the RAMS. Kill wanted to take down TCU badly, and I suspect he'll want CSU to pay for that not happening. RAM fans were cheering heartily for a Minnesota win last week. We wanted your team overconfident and highly ranked. The perfect recipe, but we won't get that...dammit.

Last year Boston College took down #6 USC and we got BC the next week. We took that one on the road fair and square, but I've never doubted that BC failed to take us seriously enough until the 2nd half ( which by the way was when we found some life). Same story when we played 'Bama in '13. They seemed shocked that we were hanging with them, and then woke up and put an end to that nonsense. I don't see that happening Saturday, I realize you guys need to pound us to prove your point and will try to do so from the opening whistle.

Still, and I say this with all due respect, I don't believe that you guys will stop our receivers. We are as good as it gets in that category. You'll do far more damage stopping our QB, and I do have a ton of respect for your DB's. Also, we have a small but extremely fast RB corps. I can't emphasize either quality enough. They are extremely small, and extremely fast. IF (I wish I knew how to make that IF bigger) we can get past your front 7, we will blow some doors off. The fastest HS athletes in '13 in Florida and Colorado will see the field a lot for the RAMS, the fastest '13 HS athlete in KS is about 4th or 5th on our depth chart at RB. I'm hoping speed kills.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's a great game. I won't be there as my 16 yr old has decided that we will miss any and all games until he puts an arrow into an elk, I won't argue his priorities because that's a tough call. I will be listening on the radio and praying for a RAM W. Best of luck to you guys. Any questions about where to drink, what to do at our stadium (it's rundown but we've broken ground on a new one), or anything CO related - no you don't have to smoke weed, please just ask. Welcome to The Fort.

Also, we have a small but extremely fast RB corps. I can't emphasize either quality enough. They are extremely small, and extremely fast. IF (I wish I knew how to make that IF bigger) we can get past your front 7, we will blow some doors off. The fastest HS athletes in '13 in Florida and Colorado will see the field a lot for the RAMS, the fastest '13 HS athlete in KS is about 4th or 5th on our depth chart at RB. I'm hoping speed kills.

Yea, Deron Thompson spurned us for you. Probably would've worked out better than Berk.

Uh, it's a 5-point spread. I don't think anyone on either side is expecting a rout.

In the contest of "Eric Murray vs Rashard Higgins". I'd take Murray in as much as he will keep Higgins below his season average, whatever that ends up being.

Still, and I say this with all due respect, I don't believe that you guys will stop our receivers. We are as good as it gets in that category. You'll do far more damage stopping our QB, and I do have a ton of respect for your DB's. Also, we have a small but extremely fast RB corps. I can't emphasize either quality enough. They are extremely small, and extremely fast. IF (I wish I knew how to make that IF bigger) we can get past your front 7, we will blow some doors off. The fastest HS athletes in '13 in Florida and Colorado will see the field a lot for the RAMS, the fastest '13 HS athlete in KS is about 4th or 5th on our depth chart at RB. I'm hoping speed kills.

I know higgins is good (even great) but I would not say your receiving core is any better or faster than TCU's. Doctson is ranked probably about the same for the draft as Higgins is and Listenbee runs a 4.3 40 yard dash which is the fastest listed on projected WR draft boards. We held up against them OK with our corners in man coverage on an island by themselves much of the time, so like I said, I'm not that worried about your offense. Yep you will pass and move the ball and may even break 1 big play, but our defense will tackle better than any you will play this year and take advantage of your mistakes. Hope you have a good field goal kicker.

Yeah, it seems like your history with Power 5 opponents even recently didn't translate compared to MWC opponents. This is specifically speaking about Higgins I believe that either one of our corners will be just fine. They are both going to be drafted in the top three rounds of the NFL draft if they play as well as they did week 1. Murray gets a few more INTs and he is almost a lock for round 1, he's that good. It's really hard to gauge what will happen due to the complete opposite of the spectrum of opponents that we both faced. I mean, we played TCU for gosh sakes. They are an incredibly talented team. Not to say CSU isn't, but we will see on Saturday.

I'm not sure why you think that if you get past the front seven the RBs will have a hey day. Our secondary is probably top 1-2 in the the BIG, so not much will get past them. They focus on not letting big plays happen, whether that is long pass plays or long run plays. IMO we have had issues with running QB's in the past. If your QB isn't running and we can put a pass rush on him, I believe CSU will find it to be a very long day. It will be a close game, but in the end the Gophers should be in control to run, run, run and run some more to be in control of this game. I wouldn't be surprised if Rodney Smith gets 140+ yards. We will see though. Saturday afternoon is just seemingly hours away.

I know higgins is good (even great) but I would not say your receiving core is any better or faster than TCU's. Doctson is ranked probably about the same for the draft as Higgins is and Listenbee runs a 4.3 40 yard dash which is the fastest listed on projected WR draft boards. We held up against them OK with our corners in man coverage on an island by themselves much of the time, so like I said, I'm not that worried about your offense. Yep you will pass and move the ball and may even break 1 big play, but our defense will tackle better than any you will play this year and take advantage of your mistakes. Hope you have a good field goal kicker.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I don't recall seeing three linebackers on the field at any time, perhaps when we had a rush end with 20 or 26? Mostly nickel, if I recall. Anyway, maybe the perception they were slow comes from the line and backers trying to contain and collapse the pocket, playing controlled as Boykin is an elite rushing threat. I don't think that will be the case with the QB Saturday.

We will be able to run. Their QB is green and up against a veteran secondary. Their scheme is new, from an unproven head coach, with all the inevitable kinks to work out. They lost their QB. Their run game isn't scary, seems like an unknown. Somehow 5 turnovers against a cream puff defense.

I don't think there is room for overconfidence here, but even Boise State took a minor dump after Kellen Moore left town. An elite QB changes everything. We will find out if this kid is the second coming real fast Saturday.

No, I doubt the team is overlooking the RAMS. Kill wanted to take down TCU badly, and I suspect he'll want CSU to pay for that not happening. RAM fans were cheering heartily for a Minnesota win last week. We wanted your team overconfident and highly ranked. The perfect recipe, but we won't get that...dammit.

Last year Boston College took down #6 USC and we got BC the next week. We took that one on the road fair and square, but I've never doubted that BC failed to take us seriously enough until the 2nd half ( which by the way was when we found some life). Same story when we played 'Bama in '13. They seemed shocked that we were hanging with them, and then woke up and put an end to that nonsense. I don't see that happening Saturday, I realize you guys need to pound us to prove your point and will try to do so from the opening whistle.

Anyway, I'm hoping it's a great game. I won't be there as my 16 yr old has decided that we will miss any and all games until he puts an arrow into an elk, I won't argue his priorities because that's a tough call. I will be listening on the radio and praying for a RAM W. Best of luck to you guys. Any questions about where to drink, what to do at our stadium (it's rundown but we've broken ground on a new one), or anything CO related - no you don't have to smoke weed, please just ask. Welcome to The Fort.

So you're claiming your WRs are better than TCUs. You should stop posting

From Bill Connelly|

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo...o-state-football-2015-preview-schedule-roster

Snaring Summers from UCF was a nice opening gambit for Bobo. But it was only one of many steps. The Rams' defense was fine at pulling a bend-don't-break routine against lesser offenses, but against more talented units, it was bend-then-break.

It started with run defense. CSU had minimal disruptive presence in the backfield, which meant that while opponents weren't breaking off huge gains -- CSU ranked in the middle of the pack in 10-plus-yard plays allowed (69th), 20-plus (70th), etc. -- they were consistently able to stay out of passing downs. Size doesn't appear to be any sort of issue, but CSU lacked speed up front.

The inability to knock opponents off-schedule appeared to catch up to CSU as games elapsed. The Rams ranked 97th in Q1 S&P+ and 55th in Q2, then fell to 106th in Q3 and 102nd in Q4. Of course, against good offenses, there was no wasting time. Utah scored 21 points in the first quarter, and Boise State had 30 at halftime.

---

CSU ranked 112th in Adj. Sack Rate and 128th, dead last in FBS, in Stuff Rate (run stops at or behind the line). With no fear of negative plays, opponents were able to dictate possessions, and it randomly bit the Rams. Not only did Boise State and Utah put up huge numbers, San Jose State, Wyoming, and Nevada were able to engage in shootouts before falling.

A pass rush built around linebacker Cory James and end Joe Kawulok seems to have a little bit of promise, but while those two combined for 10 sacks in 2014, they also combined for just four non-sack tackles for loss, meaning they didn't do much against the run. In fact, only two players in the front seven managed more than 2.5 non-sack TFLs, and one (linebacker Aaron Davis, with 6.5) is gone.

There is plenty of experience in the front seven -- the top three returning tacklers on the line are seniors, and the top five returning linebackers are juniors and seniors -- but they got experience on a defense that wasn't very good. Might exciting, three-star youngsters like sophomore tackle Darnell Thopmson, freshman end Richard King, sophomore linebacker Evan Colorito, and JUCO linebacker Deshon Mayes have an opportunity to usurp some upperclassmen?

This game scares me in terms of a let down game. The Gophers have a tough battle in their hands, but I think if the stars are all aligned properly under the Rocky Mountains skylight they will get their groove.

CSU Pros: Pass O
CSU Cons: Rush D
MN Pros: Run O, Pass D
MN Cons: Pass O

I just think we match up well. I expect a close game, but tough for CSU to beat a potential 10-2 B1G Team. Gophs win.

CSU Pros: Pass O
CSU Cons: Rush D
MN Pros: Run O, Pass D
MN Cons: Pass O

I just think we match up well. I expect a close game, but tough for CSU to beat a potential 10-2 B1G Team. Gophs win.

gophs will have over 200 yds in rushing.

gophs will have over 200 yds in rushing.

That's going to be the let down for CSU fans. Until you see the way a run first offense can take the air out of the ball, you really don't know what your in for. IF we can establish the run game you won't see the gophers pass until garbage time in the second half and it will be a low scoring game because the way we move the ball chews a half a quarter off at a time. Our defense will be fresh all the time, yours will be one three and out on offense away from being exhausted. For things to work out well for CSU they will need to score early and commit enough to the box to force Minnesota out of run only offense.

I'm expecting us to be up 14 to 0 at half and CSU fans to be looking around going "Jeez, we've only had three possessions, how the heck is it half time already?"

How I read this comment: "We looked a lot better against the worst team in the entire NCAA than you guys did against the 2nd best team in the NCAA. We looked so much faster." I will abstain from commenting any further because this is a joke haha.

That's going to be the let down for CSU fans. Until you see the way a run first offense can take the air out of the ball, you really don't know what your in for. IF we can establish the run game you won't see the gophers pass until garbage time in the second half and it will be a low scoring game because the way we move the ball chews a half a quarter off at a time. Our defense will be fresh all the time, yours will be one three and out on offense away from being exhausted. For things to work out well for CSU they will need to score early and commit enough to the box to force Minnesota out of run only offense.

I'm expecting us to be up 14 to 0 at half and CSU fans to be looking around going "Jeez, we've only had three possessions, how the heck is it half time already?"

I have the opposite feeling. As Claeys said, they probably have a lot of wrinkles to roll out to start the game, and they might start off fast. I wouldn't be surprised if they gave us a couple shots early, especially if Travis can't go. If we get up early or get some early TOs, I think we win going away. If my first thought happens, I think it's a dog fight.

CSU posters sound like SEC posters, all they talk about is their speed. Every single guy on our defense was recruited because they can run. We haven't been outrun in a long time, including OSU and TCU last year and this. It's comical to me that they think the game will be won on speed.

Top Bottom