Heartbreak City - Athens,OH Messenger

I've never seen it called, but that was also one of the longest delays between the whistle and the kick I've ever seen. I don't feel too sorry for them. And he probably had about a 10% chance of making the 53-yarder, and 40% chance of them winning in OT. So their chances of winning went from 4% to whatever the Hail Mary success rate is.

I've watched the replay probably 20 times on the DVR. The ball was snapped after the whistle. The kick came 2-3 seconds after the whistle. This is not a case of the whistle happening at the same time as the kick. All the kicker had to do was not kick the ball and he had plenty of time to realize the whistle had blown.

I am not saying this about you in this case, but I have read some stories in the media that are making it out like the whistle blew while he was kicking. Not the case at all. Whistle blew, more than one referee had arms waving, and the kick still came 2-3 seconds after all that.

Ya, no I was not saying it was simultaneous in this instance. Naturally to be granted the timeout has to be before the snap....but how much before and if the ball gets snapped I don't think you can ask a kicker not to kick...there should be too much concentration to pay attention. Once it is snapped there is obviously going to be at least a second before it is kicked. My point is it wasn't blatant by my definition. It was pretty bang bang. Easy for someone detached to say just stop...but we are talking a high pressure situation...their concentration is on doing their job perfectly...not the dang whistle. And you can't expect them to. Waaaay different than a whistle after a play that happens on every play.

Did anyone notice how banged up their QB was on the last drive? He could hardly walk and his plant foot looked like it couldn't hold anymore tape on it. It's the reason he missed those receivers and had to kick the fg in the first place.

The D line got some good hits on him late in the game. All those little things added up in the Gophers favor.

Did anyone notice how banged up their QB was on the last drive? He could hardly walk and his plant foot looked like it couldn't hold anymore tape on it. It's the reason he missed those receivers and had to kick the fg in the first place.

The D line got some good hits on him late in the game. All those little things added up in the Gophers favor.

He played his butt off. Held the ball, delivered it and took hits.

As for the penalty it is technically correct is it not? Obviously Ohio was trying to get away with a practice kick and the refs called them on it. Ohio played dirty pretty much the whole game so boo hoo for them. Karma.

Ya, no I was not saying it was simultaneous in this instance. Naturally to be granted the timeout has to be before the snap....but how much before and if the ball gets snapped I don't think you can ask a kicker not to kick...there should be too much concentration to pay attention. Once it is snapped there is obviously going to be at least a second before it is kicked. My point is it wasn't blatant by my definition. It was pretty bang bang. Easy for someone detached to say just stop...but we are talking a high pressure situation...their concentration is on doing their job perfectly...not the dang whistle. And you can't expect them to. Waaaay different than a whistle after a play that happens on every play.

Have you seen a replay? Not the gif replay that doesn't have thew whistle before the snap, but a full replay. The snap came after the whistle was blown and refs were waving their hands. If you watch the replay you can see the holder looking at the ref as he is running in to stop the play, blowing his whistle and waving his hands, then the holder calls for the ball and the kicker kicks. It wasn't even close.

Would I be pissed if it was called on the Gophers? Sure, I am a fan, logic and reason have nothing to do with screaming at my TV.

But when the kick happened, I was yelling for the delay of game since it was obviously after the whistle and it gave the kicking team and unfair advantage.

What if Solich had seen the kick short and left and decided to risk one last play to get some more yards and they hit a quick 7 yard out and then kick a winning field goal, all because they got a sneak peak at the result?

It was a delay of game in the eyes of the officials, in my opinion as well and should have been called.

GOPHERS

Have you seen a replay? Not the gif replay that doesn't have thew whistle before the snap, but a full replay. The snap came after the whistle was blown and refs were waving their hands. If you watch the replay you can see the holder looking at the ref as he is running in to stop the play, blowing his whistle and waving his hands, then the holder calls for the ball and the kicker kicks. It wasn't even close.

Would I be pissed if it was called on the Gophers? Sure, I am a fan, logic and reason have nothing to do with screaming at my TV.

But when the kick happened, I was yelling for the delay of game since it was obviously after the whistle and it gave the kicking team and unfair advantage.

What if Solich had seen the kick short and left and decided to risk one last play to get some more yards and they hit a quick 7 yard out and then kick a winning field goal, all because they got a sneak peak at the result?

It was a delay of game in the eyes of the officials, in my opinion as well and should have been called.

It was a great game but being a Gopher fan the last 35 years, I have seen an awful lot of games where we were in Ohio's shoes, looking to tie or win late in the game but somehow something went wrong and we lost. It's kind of nice being on the other side of these games, actually. Kill is getting a reputation for finding ways to win games that we normally would have lost. In fact, I would say all 3 of our wins this year were the same type we would have found a way to lose in years past.

He played his butt off. Held the ball, delivered it and took hits.

As for the penalty it is technically correct is it not? Obviously Ohio was trying to get away with a practice kick and the refs called them on it. Ohio played dirty pretty much the whole game so boo hoo for them. Karma.

I forgot who tweeted it but someone showed where one of their LB's slammed Smith's head into the ground after he was tackled. And then this same LB hit Leidner way late on the Brooks winning TD.

I forgot who tweeted it but someone showed where one of their LB's slammed Smith's head into the ground after he was tackled. And then this same LB hit Leidner way late on the Brooks winning TD.

I don't recall the one with the LB slamming Smith's head into the ground, not saying it didn't happen, I just don't recall it. I do however recall Ohio LB#33 kick Shannon Brooks head/helmet while getting up from a tackle. He did a just good enough job to make it look like accident so the refs didn't flag him but there was no doubt in my mind it was intentional. Later on the drive #33 got a penalty for taking a swing at one of the Olinemen I believe.

Why Solich said he wished he'd have gone for the 58 yard field goal is a mystery to me. I had an end zone seat and his kicker missed the 53 yard delayed kick by a good 15 feet so why he would have gone for a 58 yarder is totally beyond me.

Not so much about whether or not it's a good field goal chance but more about whether or not the field goal was a better chance than a hail marry. My money would be on the kick even at 58 yards.

Top Bottom