Heartbreak City - Athens,OH Messenger

Iceland12

Reaction score
MINNEAPOLIS — After three-and-a-half hours of blood, sweat and tears, the Bobcats needed just one more break or a little luck to pick up a coveted upset.

Instead, Ohio was victimized by a weird call and succumbed to the expected result.

After a delay of game call wiped out a potential game-tying field goal, Ohio’s ‘Hail Mary’ on the final play of the game fell incomplete and Minnesota escaped TCF Bank Stadium with a 27-24 victory on Saturday.

The Gophers (3-1) trailed most of the day, but snuck ahead late when Shannon Brooks scored on a three-yard run with 30 seconds remaining.

Minnesota then caught a couple breaks. Ohio (3-1), down three, got good field position when Daz Patterson returned the ensuing kick-off 56 yards — but it might have been bigger if he had not cramped up during the end of the return.

On the Minnesota 43 with 21 seconds left, the Bobcats were able to run three plays and pick up seven yards. With seven seconds left, Ohio sent on kicker Josiah Yazdani for the tying 53-yard field goal attempt.

Minnesota called a time out to freeze him, Yazdani took a kick anyway — as kickers on both the pro and college level do all the time in similar circumstances.

This time, however, the officiating crew threw a flag on Yazdani for delay of game. Now backed up five yards, Ohio went for the deep pass play on the final snap instead.

Ohio coach Frank Solich was still upset about the sequence in the moments after the game.

“The thing that bothers me on that type of play is that the ball gets snapped. So apparently the center doesn’t hear the whistle either,” Solich said. “But somehow you’re expecting the kicker — when he’s concentrating on the snap, the crowd is very, very loud and he’s following through on what he thinks is the game-winning kick (to hear it).

“The way the sequence developed, and the flow of it, that was very much a surprise to me,” added Ohio’s coach.

Solich said he did regret going for the Hail Mary. After watching Yazdani’s practice kick, Solich said he should have sent the kicker back out for a 58-yarder. The all-time Ohio record is 57 yards.

“Yes, and that was my fault. I should’ve went for the 58. The ball carried enough to give him a shot at the end.”

The weird ending marred what was a superb back and forth affair. Ohio scored more points and fielded more big plays than any other team which has faced Minnesota’s defense this season. Quarterback Derrius Vick threw for 194 yards and two touchdowns, while Patterson added 70 yards rushing on the ground.

Minnesota led for about half the third quarter and at the very end, but spent most of the day trying to get a handle on the Bobcats. Ohio entered as a 10-point underdog.

Gopher quarterback Mitch Leidner hit on 22 of 32 throws for 264 yards, and scored on a one-yard run. Shannon Brooks picked up 82 rushing yards and scored a pair of touchdowns.

“We battled and we played hard,” Vick said. “We felt we played well enough in spots to win the game.”

The game was tied 14-14 at halftime, but Minnesota edged in front 17-14 in the third on Ryan Santoso’s 49-yard field goal.

Ohio took advantage of a special teams mistake to grab the lead early in the fourth quarter. Minnesota punt returner Craig James was stripped of the ball by Ohio’s Cody Grilliot and Keith Heitzman picked it up off the turf. On the first play after the turnover, A.J. Ouellette squeezed through the line of scrimmage and bulled into the end zone for an 11-yard touchdown that gave Ohio a 21-17 lead with 14:39 remaining.

The teams then traded long field goal drives. Minnesota cut it to 21-20 with 8:44 left on Santoso’s 24-yard kick, and Ohio cashed in a six-minute march with Yazdani’s 41-yard field goal that made it 24-20 with 2:36 left.

But the Gophers had one big drive left.

“This one hurts,” Ohio cornerback Devin Bass said. “We left it all out there, but this one still hurts.”.

http://www.athensmessenger.com/spor...cle_d5962527-bf88-582e-b2c9-915374e9ff7b.html

I find fault: the kicker was kicking for a tie, not a win. At best, without that call, they could have tied the game and gone to OT. They needed more than one more little break to win.

Why Solich said he wished he'd have gone for the 58 yard field goal is a mystery to me. I had an end zone seat and his kicker missed the 53 yard delayed kick by a good 15 feet so why he would have gone for a 58 yarder is totally beyond me.

Why Solich said he wished he'd have gone for the 58 yard field goal is a mystery to me. I had an end zone seat and his kicker missed the 53 yard delayed kick by a good 15 feet so why he would have gone for a 58 yarder is totally beyond me.

Seriously. With how badly he missed the first one, making the second would have been an absolute miracle for them.

I think Ohio should be more concerned with the easy drop for an interception on the sideline that would have ended the game. If you want to pull an upset, you have to make big time plays and Ohio recovered only one of six Gopher fumbles. Glad this one is in the books and the Gophs are 3-1.

Had the delay penalty now been called, Ohio would have won.... ya know, after tying the game with a really long field goal, and then beating us in OT.

Who's the idiot on with Reusse? Said he was pulling for Ohio at the end.

Even so, my guess is the chances he makes that FG is greater than the Hail Mary.

Seriously. With how badly he missed the first one, making the second would have been an absolute miracle for them.

Wasn't it about 15 feet wide and 10 yards short?

7 seconds is plenty of time to complete a pass for a first down then line up and kick the field goal - at least thats what I remember purdue doing to us so very long ago. what was it, 19 seconds on the clock and starting from their own 6?

A couple of things...

First, the only reason anyone even considered this such a "weird" or unusual call is because it just happened to be on the tipping point between reasonable FG position and out of range. If Ohio had been on the 15-yd line and got called for this, nobody would be saying a damn thing.

Second, Solich is full of sh!t when he says what he said about the kicker not hearing anything and going ahead with the kick just because the ball got snapped. I've seen on a number of occasions where this happened, the snap DID go back to the holder, and the kicker makes somewhat of a practice pass at the ball without kicking it, just swinging his leg through.

Last, it's a rule for a reason. A free practice kick on a high pressure kick, in a situation like that, is absolutely a major advantage. Practice for the LS, for the holder, and for the kicker to maybe see how the ball will respond to the ball in the given conditions, wind, etc.

Like I said, if the Bobcats were down somewhere inside the 20, nobody is saying it was a bad call or a dumb rule, etc.

Shut up, Solich, you big f'n whiner.

Sitting on the visitors side of the 45 yard line directly across from the holder, I heard the ref blow his whistle and saw him wave his hands over his head repeatedly seconds before the holder, who was looking directly at the ref, then looked toward the snapper and called for the ball so the kicker could still get a practice kick. I think that is why the delay of game was called. I don't blame the ref.

Yes it was about 10 yards short as well as being 15 feet wide to the left. I have a titanium hip and I have about as much chance making that 58 yd. FG as their kicker did.:)

A couple of things...

First, the only reason anyone even considered this such a "weird" or unusual call is because it just happened to be on the tipping point between reasonable FG position and out of range. If Ohio had been on the 15-yd line and got called for this, nobody would be saying a damn thing.

Second, Solich is full of sh!t when he says what he said about the kicker not hearing anything and going ahead with the kick just because the ball got snapped. I've seen on a number of occasions where this happened, the snap DID go back to the holder, and the kicker makes somewhat of a practice pass at the ball without kicking it, just swinging his leg through.

Last, it's a rule for a reason. A free practice kick on a high pressure kick, in a situation like that, is absolutely a major advantage. Practice for the LS, for the holder, and for the kicker to maybe see how the ball will respond to the ball in the given conditions, wind, etc.

Like I said, if the Bobcats were down somewhere inside the 20, nobody is saying it was a bad call or a dumb rule, etc.

Yep. Gave Solich some credit though for publicly saying that he thought the kicker could have hit the 58-yarder. Looked like that kid could use as much confidence boosting as he could get, and by saying it rather than actually going for it, no chance the kid could blow that impossible kick either.

It was still a complete BS call, even worse that the low hit call against Botechelli last year at Nebraska where he fell forward after an O line man tried to block him in the leg from behind) when he barely grazed Frazier.

The Big Ten Offiicals never should have made that call. I have never seen that call ever in a CFB game This clear case where the crew should have gotten together, considered the context within the game and picked it up.

If they had called that in a big game against a TCU or Ohio State where Minnesota had a chance for a 53 year FG, everyone on this board would have gone nuts. Solich was right, they get screwed, bad.

It was still a complete BS call, even worse that the low hit call against Botechelli last year at Nebraska where he fell forward after an O line man tried to block him in the leg from behind) when he barely grazed Frazier.

The Big Ten Offiicals never should have made that call. I have never seen that call ever in a CFB game This clear case where the crew should have gotten together, considered the context within the game and picked it up.

If they had called that in a big game against a TCU or Ohio State where Minnesota had a chance for a 53 year FG, everyone on this board would have gone nuts. Solich was right, they get screwed, bad.

The only excuse I think they (Ohio) have is if no one could hear the whistle. The whistle is pretty clear on TV, so you'd think someone standing 10 feet from the ref could hear it. The kicker was not even moving when the whistle blew and the refs all had arms waving. He could have held up and not taken the practice kick. or are you sayting this is like hockey and you don't call any penalties at the end of a game?

He has to know, deep down, that it's very unlikely that Ohio wins in OT. It's just a rah rah propaganda piece. There are many here that hold the same sentiment about the '14 Ohio St. game and the TCU game, albeit toned down significantly.

The one that got away....it always gets a little bigger every time the story is told.

This. So either he would have missed it badly and they still lose, or he knew the play
was called dead and kicked it halfassed anyway, fully acknowledging the delay of game
penalty.

The only excuse I think they (Ohio) have is if no one could hear the whistle. The whistle is pretty clear on TV, so you'd think someone standing 10 feet from the ref could hear it. The kicker was not even moving when the whistle blew and the refs all had arms waving. He could have held up and not taken the practice kick. or are you sayting this is like hockey and you don't call any penalties at the end of a game?

I clearly heard the whistle in the 2nd deck about 2 seconds before the snap even occurred and immediately turned to the people next to me after he still kicked it to say it was BS. If they didn't hear it that's their problem. I agree that it's a complete judgment call for the official, but I thought it was one of the latest kicks I've ever seen in person and it's hard to argue that it's technically a bad call.

strange call...never seen that called before. I was cheering about it and agreeing with Solich. It happens, I am just not used to being on the right end of a horrible call. he would have missed the FG anyway, give me a break 53 yrd field goals are rare.

Sorry, you are wrong.

It's a rule for a reason. Besides the decided advantage of a free practice kick, on the field in game conditions, the call is Delay of Game. It IS a delay of game to boot the ball 50-60 yards after the play has been blown dead.

Why is this any more BS than throwing the flag for Delay of Game for a guy spiking the ball after making a first down or an interception, which I saw called Saturday also?

If you think the rule is stupid, take it up with the NCAA. Sorry you didn't like that it was called at the end of the game in this case.

Pick the flag up

I agree with oak....Ogee, it is rule but it is never called. Question to Jerry Kill at the press conference...Coach, have you EVER seen that penalty called before? Jerry, paused, thought about it and softly said...no, I don't think I ever have. (He has coached a while now). Most everybody had no idea what the flag was for. Delay of game but...why? My guess is there is also a rule how close to the snap you can be granted a timeout....don't know the rule but did we comply? At what point is it simultaneous...the snap and the timeout whistle...so at what point is it okay to kick it because you can't stop?
The last thing you want is people getting hurt trying to stop a motion they started, plus the last thing you want are kickers listening for whistles wondering if it's okay to kick. It's never enforced for lots of good reasons. Pick the flag up if you are stupid enough to throw it...especially in that situation! Happy we won! Preferred they missed the kick or we win in OT.

Pretty sure the Gophers are coached not to anticpate the whistle. Play through the whistle.

The senior kicker has never hit a kick from 50+ yards, and in his career, he only kicks a shade over 50% from 40+. My view is that Ohio caught a break there, because they had a better chance with a hailmary. In the moments leading up to the kick/penalty, I viewed it as bad coaching on both sides. Bad for Ohio to try to kick the improbable FG, and bad on Kill for calling the timeout to potentially give the kicker another chance. The Ohio coaches meltdown was hilarious to me...did he not just see how badly his kicker missed the "practice" kick?

Seriously though, the Gophers are supposed to be past this point where things like this, against teams like this, should even be questioned. The game should have been over by the 3rd quarter.

Pretty sure the Gophers are coached not to anticpate the whistle. Play through the whistle.

I've watched the replay probably 20 times on the DVR. The ball was snapped after the whistle. The kick came 2-3 seconds after the whistle. This is not a case of the whistle happening at the same time as the kick. All the kicker had to do was not kick the ball and he had plenty of time to realize the whistle had blown.

I am not saying this about you in this case, but I have read some stories in the media that are making it out like the whistle blew while he was kicking. Not the case at all. Whistle blew, more than one referee had arms waving, and the kick still came 2-3 seconds after all that.

They already had a break when they missed a field goal, but got another chance because of an offensive penalty.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

It was a call I thought sucked but all in all one that I get and they'll probably start enforcing more often I'd guess. Won't keep rehashing the mechanics of it as its already been said. That said Ohio already got some breaks. They got an extra kick when they missed one due to a false start that I still can't see even on DVR. Craig James basically politely handed them the ball with that ridiculous fumble, and then our KO team completely busted when A- Santoso kicked the ball right down the middle instead of the corner and B- our entire right side got out of their lanes. The KR literally just ran to the left and nobody was there. So sure that call sucked but they got plenty of breaks due to our ineptitude in some areas.

Whoever wrote that article should probably acknowledge that he missed the 53 yard try.

Top Bottom