Heading to U Mich? Thought this might be useful and save someone a ticket

GDPfan

Reaction score
For those coming to the game, here is some advice:

Tickets: If you don't have tickets, tickets are usually pretty easy to pick up on the streets the day of the game. Show up an hour or two early in the surrounding areas (obviously they prohibit selling tickets on stadium grounds). However, just a warning, be careful about Student Section seats. They will require a university ID card if you are going to use a Student ticket. However you can have a student ticket endorsed to a regular for about 25 dollars at the ticket offices.

Parking: Ann Arbor turns into a madhouse on Football game days. General Rule, its going to cost 15-20 bucks anywhere near the stadium. You can find some private neighborhood spaces listed on GreenDotParking.com otherwise drive around the West/Northwest side of the Stadium For some (not my style) is may be a good idea to park at the Brierwood Mall (just off I-94 exit 177) and catch one of the shuttle buses to the stadium - shuttles get priority in traffic.

Alcohol warning. Ann Arbor has some of the strictest alcohol in public laws in the country. Basically it is illegal to have an open container or consume alcohol on public property or on Campus without a permit, including public parking lots, or the adjacent golf course that they convert to parking during games. Supposedly you can get a temporary permit for tailgating (not sure if the alumni assoc official tailgate party is doing that). They do not allow any alcohol in the Stadium, and if you are caught trying to sneak some in, they will kick you out, confiscate your ticket, and likely issue you another ticket infraction that could cost you anywhere from $100-150. They do tend to target visiting team fans for the enforcement of this. Not sure if it is deliberate intimidation, or just that they know that many visiting fans aren't aware of the laws.

Hotels: If you are staying in Ann Arbor, its going to be very expensive to get a room (provided you can find one). Stay in the surrounding area. Dundee, to the South on US-23, Jackson to the West, (on I-94), both are less than 45 minutes away, and have a lot more availability and reasonable pricing.

I carried a case of beer in hand to the golf course a few years back. Drank with many others there. This must be a new law there???

In 2004 we tailgated at the high school across the street and as long as you had your drink in a (non transparent) cup the cops turned a blind eye.

Drinking in public is no more of an issue in AA than it is on any other college campus. You'll be fine.

Tickets: If you don't have tickets

I have four for sale. Let me know if you need one and I will give you a good deal, especially if you are a Gopher fan. PM Me.

Top Bottom