Heading into Big Ten play, the Gophers are?...

How are the Gophers heading into BT play?

• Better than expected

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • Same as I expected

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • Worse than I expected

Votes: 89 69.5%

• Total voters

Not going to win very many games being a one dimensional running team.

. ... Extremely unlucky to play 3 of the 4 Big 10 teams they have no chance to beat, Ohio State, Nebraska, and Wisconsin. At least they don't have to play MSU.

Color me worried. Our offense is................putrid.....both scheme wise and qb wise......and going from bad to worse.

better watch out, your guy dr don doesn't like anyone being critical of the coaching staff, nor does he like anyone offering an opinion. come to think of it, not sure he understands what a discussion board is for. but he is good at including this in posts :banghead:

better watch out, your guy dr don doesn't like anyone being critical of the coaching staff, nor does he like anyone offering an opinion. come to think of it, not sure he understands what a discussion board is for. but he is good at including this in posts :banghead:

We seem to leave each other alone on that one. Best that way.

Beer for everyone!

The team was sloppy today. 12 on the field twice and only 10 on the field for long mussed FG by SJSU. The main issue on offense is timing. From the jet sweep to passing timing is bad. I think both QB's need to play if both are healthy. Streveler's legs are to valuable. There are no gimmes on this schedule. I hope we get bowl eligible and are better at the end of the year.

GopherinPhilly said:
How is anyone on GH supposed to argue and complain about that?

Anyone who has been a fan of this team for any length of time should not complain about 3-1. We lost our only game against a decent opponent, but we put away all the games that we should have. Now we can go see if we can win more than 4 Big Ten games for the first time in 10+ years...

As I told Mrs. Billd all that we needed today was to get the W and not have anyone get hurt. Seems like we accomplished that goal.

Logic! Kill has talked about how in 31-years he has never had injuries like this. So we run an O that gets us a victory and doesn't get anyone hurt more. Makes sense.

This team is as good as I thought on D. Our freshmen are better (Richardson & Elmore esp.) than I thought. Our passing is behind what I thought. HOWEVER, teams are known to improve a lot during the season. I started with a 10-2 prediction, but didn't have the L at TCU. Going with 9-3 now. Getting the jug, Floyd, and the axe still.

Go Gophers!

Logic! Kill has talked about how in 31-years he has never had injuries like this. So we run an O that gets us a victory and doesn't get anyone hurt more. Makes sense. This team is as good as I thought on D. Our freshmen are better (Richardson & Elmore esp.) than I thought. Our passing is behind what I thought. HOWEVER, teams are known to improve a lot during the season. I started with a 10-2 prediction, but didn't have the L at TCU. Going with 9-3 now. Getting the jug, Floyd, and the axe still. Go Gophers!

Is this the Fargo Flash?

Logic! Kill has talked about how in 31-years he has never had injuries like this. So we run an O that gets us a victory and doesn't get anyone hurt more. Makes sense.

This team is as good as I thought on D. Our freshmen are better (Richardson & Elmore esp.) than I thought. Our passing is behind what I thought. HOWEVER, teams are known to improve a lot during the season. I started with a 10-2 prediction, but didn't have the L at TCU. Going with 9-3 now. Getting the jug, Floyd, and the axe still.

Go Gophers!

You must be spoofin

Defense is better than expected. Wilson is a beast and these guys keep getting turnovers and hang tough in the red zone. They were given a short field in the one game where we gave up points.
Special Teams are great. Santoso boots kickoffs a mile, we have 2 blocked kicks through 4 games and we aren't fumbling kickoffs and punts anymore
The offense can run the ball. Cobb is even better than last year. Streveler looked awesome running the ball yesterday.
The worries are the passing game and the injuries. We have better receivers than last year as Maye isn't hurt and Jones, Wolitarsky and Williams have a year under their belt. But it is still hard to see winning any games with our passing attack! That being said, this team can win games with their defense and all the turnovers they get. If we heal up, I'm optimistic…especially because the B1G has been pretty weak. My expectation is to get at least one more trophy this year….

They are pretty close to where I thought they would be, but in a different way.

I was a little more concerned about the D, not as much about the O. Turns out the D will be just fine and the O is, well, looking okay for the running game anyway.

The upside is that, barring injuries, teams don't tend to get catastrophically worse at what they are good at doing. They CAN improve their shortcomings through practice and experience.

That qualifies as upside.

I am actually feeling pretty good about the rest of the season.

You guys are hilarious. Through the first 5 games last year (including Iowa because they had a comparable defense as TCU IMO) Nelson hit on 50.7% with a 2:1 INT:TD ratio. This year Leidner has hit 48.1% with a 2:1 INT:TD ratio.

We have a pretty small sample size so far. Streveler is a more dynamic runner than both. If becomes the man and he can hit on 55-60%... then we're cooking. Receivers need to step up and catch the balls.

You guys are hilarious. Through the first 5 games last year (including Iowa because they had a comparable defense as TCU IMO) Nelson hit on 50.7% with a 2:1 INT:TD ratio. This year Leidner has hit 48.1% with a 2:1 INT:TD ratio.

We have a pretty small sample size so far. Streveler is a more dynamic runner than both. If becomes the man and he can hit on 55-60%... then we're cooking. Receivers need to step up and catch the balls.

Don't bring your stats and logical thoughts forward. We went 1-7 passing in a game we didn't need to pass in so....

193m57dk1nwekjpg.jpg

Sample size is a good argument.

Keep in mind Nelson was in his 2nd year of college football and ML is in his third. Also keep in mind that he finished the year with a 1.5:1 TD:Interception ratio.

We will see what happens. Our quarterback play last year was below average, so far this year it has gotten worse not better.

Gophers are 3-1 and have beat some pretty lousy teams and got beat pretty good by the one good team they have played so far. Bye week is coming at a good time with all of the injury's.
Hard to say or project where they will be during Big 10 season, beyond they should beat the teams they should beat, likely will lose to those other one's that are favored against them. They are playing a lot of really young guys so the enthusiasm and effort should get better each week, and they can improve,
young guys usually make a lot of mistakes though so that might hold them back. This team will only go as far as the offense can grind out points. They create turnovers on defense but they are not built to take a pounding and play 40 minutes a game like last year if the offense cannot convert first downs. I like Strevlar think he can throw with the element of surprise on his side, and the kid is fast,
he is really fast for a quarterback. Likely will end up a winning year, talent overall seems improved year over year. I like Leidner too, think he can improve at QB and wish he were not hurt.
It's going to likely be a typical Gopher year with a bowl game at the end, so it should end up a success, not a special season but a winning one nonetheless.

I do not care how ugly it is. I'm going to believe we will find a way to win 6 regular season games.
I have always felt next year is the year. Treading water through the injuries and growing pains would be fine by me
for 2014.

I have always felt next year is the year. Treading water through the injuries and growing pains would be fine by me
for 2014.

And why exactly are you so optimistic about next year (other than the fact that our QB situation probably couldn't be worse)?

Yes, but Nelson did have four good games in a row as a dual threat QB last season and none of our current QBs have demonstrated the ability to do that so far. Furthermore, Nelson was hurting early in the season last year. Nelson was erratic and I'm not sorry he is gone but he did demonstrate that he was capable of having more than one good game passing the ball AND running.

I do agree that if Streveler hits the marks you describe we'll be in great shape.

Worse than I thought. Our defense is not as good as I had hoped. I can't believe how poor our offense is. Navy and Army can throw better then us and they recruit running QB's!! I am extremely disappointed in our offensively. We either have the wrong QB's on our roster for this offense or Kill and Limegrover are too one dimensional and hard headed. Take your pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think they have been even better than expected. The d has forced 13 turnovers in four games. Only two other teams in the conference have forced more than 7.

Yes, but Nelson did have four good games in a row as a dual threat QB last season and none of our current QBs have demonstrated the ability to do that so far. Furthermore, Nelson was hurting early in the season last year. Nelson was erratic and I'm not sorry he is gone but he did demonstrate that he was capable of having more than one good game passing the ball AND running.

I do agree that if Streveler hits the marks you describe we'll be in great shape.

I don't want to rehash the whole Nelson or Leidner thing.

My point was it's way too soon, for what I suspect is a silent majority, to write Leidner off. Cherry picking that 4 game streak kind of proves my point. We don't know if Leidner is capable of that, or capable of taking care of the ball better. Nelson was streaky as hell. Maybe Leidner will be consistently mediocre. Way too soon to say for sure.

Frankly, I just want someone, anyone to step up. I'd love if Streveler can be that guy, I've been a fan of his since we signed him.

The gophers are definitely worse than I thought they'd be, but so is the rest of the big 10. So...I have no idea how we'll fare.

Just about right on.... and with a fairly serious bout of injuries......

I think they have been even better than expected. The d has forced 13 turnovers in four games. Only two other teams in the conference have forced more than 7.

Yep. So far the Defense is better than expected. Hope that continues.

Screwed. You have to be able to run the ball to win in the BIG Ten. Bring back Mason!

I think that they are going to try harder this year. I've talked to a couple guys on the team and they said that they are trying really hard this season. I think that the team's dedication to trying really hard is going to show up in their conference win total.

Top Bottom