He can talk.......can he coach?

booger

Reaction score
that is the question in the coaching world. Wonder how long he stands in front of the mirror each time he walks by one?

You can take a look at his Wikipedia page and figure out that answer for yourself

that is the question in the coaching world. Wonder how long he stands in front of the mirror each time he walks by one?

I thought we wanted a hot coach?

The guy from SI said he had a 30 inch waist. :)

He just finished the regular season ranked 15th in the country with a MAC team, I'll willing to bet he's got at least some idea how to coach.

I don't think that's the question. I think the questions is, can he prove all wrong and do it at Minnesota?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't think that's the question. I think the questions is, can he prove all wrong and do it at Minnesota?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mason could do it (and would have done far better with a better facilities situation and a better budget for D coordinator). Kill/Claeys could do it (and would have done better without the health problems). Both of those walked into far worse situations.

Fleck should be able to do it just as well.

He won at Northwestern and at Illinois this year with talent he recruited. That's impressive.

Go Gophers!!

Wacker and Brewster were just as enthusiastic at first, and Wacker had won five or six national championships at lower levels - but they both flopped. Fleck is being judged on just 4 years at one MAC school (contrast that with Miles winning 2/3 of his games in the tough SEC over many years). BUT, MN's passing game has been awful for years and Fleck was a wide receivers coach for a long time and has developed a good QB at WMU. Plus he's a good recruiter and seems to connect with his players. There is reason for hope, but it's not a sure thing.

Yes, he went 1-11, 8-5, 8-5, and 13-1. Western would play and beat big ten teams in his tenure. He an coach. I don't think some of you get how winning at a place at Western is most likely harder than winning at Minnesota when you consider the disadvantages you have at a MAC school. Yes you are going against fellow MAC schools, but there is no where near the resources.

Wacker and Brewster were just as enthusiastic at first, and Wacker had won five or six national championships at lower levels - but they both flopped. Fleck is being judged on just 4 years at one MAC school (contrast that with Miles winning 2/3 of his games in the tough SEC over many years). BUT, MN's passing game has been awful for years and Fleck was a wide receivers coach for a long time and has developed a good QB at WMU. Plus he's a good recruiter and seems to connect with his players. There is reason for hope, but it's not a sure thing.

Wacker was 40-58-2 at the major college level. If he had won just 5 more games at Minnesota his winning % at MN would have matched his previous resume.

Glen Mason actually had a higher winning % at Minnesota than his previous stops at the major college level.

Nothing is ever a sure thing. This is the best on paper hire since Holtz. His personality may get annoying though.

Yep Wacker won 4 Championships at lower level schools. Oddly enough the bleeps up at NDSU want to denigrate his accomplishments and pretend that it all started with Craig Bowl. It didn't.

Championships:

2 NAIA Division II National (1974–1975)
2 NCAA Division II National (1981–1982)
2 North Central Conference (1976–1977)
3 Lone Star Conference (1980–1982)

He had one good year at TCU, 1984. He went 8-4 that year. 8-3 in the regular season. That TCU program was god awful for years before then. They had gone 17-90-3 from 1972 to 1984. In his 9 years down there he doubled their graduation rate too.

Unfortunately that and a 7-4 in '91 were his only winning seasons at TCU.

That last winning season and his heavy involvement in the Fellowship of Christian Athletes probably were most instrumental in getting him the Gopher job. The U was dealing with a lot of scandals back then.

His teams up here were bad.

No reason to denigrate him though. Great guy and while he had a lot of success it was overshadowed by his years of failure at the top level.

Oh, to the O.P.? Fleck has proven he can coach. Pretty meaningless thread.

Top Bottom