Hayo comments?

sonnygarcia

Reaction score
I watched what I could from the BTNs coverage of the scrimmage and I felt like Hayo didn't take a rep with the first team? Can anyone who was there comment on this?

I will be sorely disappointed if he is just going to be a fill-in type player all year, but also realize its very early. Thanks.

Probably early in learning the offense along with connecting with the rest of the team. Needs some more time.

I watched what I could from the BTNs coverage of the scrimmage and I felt like Hayo didn't take a rep with the first team? Can anyone who was there comment on this?

I will be sorely disappointed if he is just going to be a fill-in type player all year, but also realize its very early. Thanks.

I was at the scrimmage. Hayo was indeed running with the second team, but this shouldn't be a big surprise. It doesn't matter what Junior College a guy played it or how talented a guy is, it takes some time to adjust to the speed of D1 football. It's not often a guy steps right in and excels. Hayo didn't get much action, but they did do an end-around to him that BPT made a great tackle on (or was that Allen? I think it was Hayo...). Remember too that Receiver is probably one of the, if not the, deepest positions the gophers have.

Bryant Allen seemed more active, but that could be in part because he had several returns.

One thing that surprised me a little was Wills. He's a big dude, but he looks like he definitely needs to get serious in the weight room. I say that only from seeing him walk in street clothes during the victory march. I wouldn't think strenght would be as big of an issue after two years at a JC, but I suppose everything is several steps up at the D1 level (from JC), including expectations for increasing strength (I.E. work in the weight room).

One more thing - I thought Stoudamire looked great returning the ball, but then also realized he was doing it against all of the walk-ons. He is a legit playmaker though. And Decker is Decker.

Not being a great reciever mind i think that in this scrimmage format #1 on 2nd team is better than 2nd man on first team. I also think that with the way they wanted to use stoudemire it was probably better that he was a #2 than a #1 on 2nd team. Moving hayo to 1st team behind decker would have in essence elvated your fourth and fith reciever to #1 on the 2nd team. If you want to simulate how they'll be used during the season anyway. It looks like a game, but it's still a practice.

Then you have to consider balance. you want the scrimmage to be somewhat competitive.

I think you'll find when we lineup at syracuse he finds the field plenty.

One thing that surprised me a little was Wills. He's a big dude, but he looks like he definitely needs to get serious in the weight room. I say that only from seeing him walk in street clothes during the victory march. I wouldn't think strenght would be as big of an issue after two years at a JC, but I suppose everything is several steps up at the D1 level (from JC), including expectations for increasing strength (I.E. work in the weight room).

Regardless of how he looked, Wills seemed to play really well. He moved surprisingly well in pass protection and used his size to make some nice holes in the d-line. He cleared some major space on that Bennett TD run.

Anyways, Hayo has only been with the team for a matter of weeks. It only makes sense that other wide receivers, like Green, are going to have a better understanding of the offense. A better understanding, and rapport with the QB, obviously translates to performance.

I was at the scrimmage. Hayo was indeed running with the second team, but this shouldn't be a big surprise. It doesn't matter what Junior College a guy played it or how talented a guy is, it takes some time to adjust to the speed of D1 football. It's not often a guy steps right in and excels. Hayo didn't get much action, but they did do an end-around to him that BPT made a great tackle on (or was that Allen? I think it was Hayo...). Remember too that Receiver is probably one of the, if not the, deepest positions the gophers have.

The end around was to Hayo. Hayo also caught the ball from Gray inside the 10 yard line when Marques rolled out. He got hit hard but didn't go down with first contact. He looked fine.

On a slightly different note I'm not worried at all about Gray. Yes he looked like a freshman on Saturday but they dumbed-down the offense so much that it really hindered his strengths. No rolloing out, no QB scrambles, no shotgun sets. It was pure vanilla...which Gray is not.

Not being a great reciever mind i think that in this scrimmage format #1 on 2nd team is better than 2nd man on first team. I also think that with the way they wanted to use stoudemire it was probably better that he was a #2 than a #1 on 2nd team. Moving hayo to 1st team behind decker would have in essence elvated your fourth and fith reciever to #1 on the 2nd team. If you want to simulate how they'll be used during the season anyway. It looks like a game, but it's still a practice.

Then you have to consider balance. you want the scrimmage to be somewhat competitive.

I think you'll find when we lineup at syracuse he finds the field plenty.

Stoudermire was actually #3 WR on the first team. Decker was #1 and Green was #2 and when they brought in a third WR it was Stoudermire and he exclusively played in the slot (inside WR to the twin WR side) from what I saw.

Hayo & McKnight were the top 2 WR's on the second team with Kuznia playing the slot with the second team.

They didn't sub up or down from first team to second team at WR.

As far as whether it is better to be #1 on 2nd team or #2 on 1st team...the way the lineups were set Decker & Green will be the starters on Sept. 5 and they will see the most time. Obviously things can change between now and then but that is the way they ran things at the scrimmage.

Also, Hayo actually ran two end arounds. People have mentioned the red zone carry where BPT made the tackle but he also took an end around from the right side to the left for a 4-5 yard gain on the second possession for the 2nd team offense. Marcus Sherels came up and made the tackle on Hayo's first run with Theret coming up if Sherels would have missed the tackle.

Wills: Looks significantly better than during the spring game. he looks about 50lbs lighter, quicker on his feet in pass pro, and more aggressive run blocking. I was very excited about his development.

Gray: even w/ the vanilla scheme, he looked tentative and unsure. he made some nice plays later in the scrimmage, but they didn't give him alot of fun stuff to work with.

Stoudemire: studemire. wow. and it looks like weber is beginning to trust him as a WR as well, especially out of the slot. love it.

Weber: the pick in the back of the endzone made me cringe. Again, totally locked in on Decker and missed a wide open Green? ugh. cmon Adam, BREAK THAT HABIT!!

Cooper: What a dynamo! good job getting off the blocks and making tackles!

Hayo: looks really smooth, great athlete. For god sakes people, he's been here for 15 minutes. let him learn the playbook and acclimate. his role will grow. the Gophs have solid WR depth now, no need to panic (unless weber can't find anybody not wearing #7)

Defense looked good overall, minus a really good DE push.

I was actually pretty impressed w/Gray. I think part of his tentativeness was wanting to run some, but that wasn't part of the deal with the "hands off the QB" policy of the scrimmage. I've read Brewster's comments about how well he throws the ball and I thought that was evident even on the short throws. Plus, like the BTN commentators said, he is way bigger (physically) than I expected.

I admit, I did not watch Wills that closely during the scrimmage, but I was not very impressed with the O-Line as a whole. However, I think they will be able to shore that up some.

I also think it is a positive that three former starters (Tavale, Burris, and Alford) are now playing second team. We must be better, and we're certainly deaper.

Weber's passes were crisp, but Gray's sprials were slow and wobbly.

Wills: Looks significantly better than during the spring game. he looks about 50lbs lighter, quicker on his feet in pass pro, and more aggressive run blocking. I was very excited about his development.

Gray: even w/ the vanilla scheme, he looked tentative and unsure. he made some nice plays later in the scrimmage, but they didn't give him alot of fun stuff to work with.

Stoudemire: studemire. wow. and it looks like weber is beginning to trust him as a WR as well, especially out of the slot. love it.

Weber: the pick in the back of the endzone made me cringe. Again, totally locked in on Decker and missed a wide open Green? ugh. cmon Adam, BREAK THAT HABIT!!

Cooper: What a dynamo! good job getting off the blocks and making tackles!

Hayo: looks really smooth, great athlete. For god sakes people, he's been here for 15 minutes. let him learn the playbook and acclimate. his role will grow. the Gophs have solid WR depth now, no need to panic (unless weber can't find anybody not wearing #7)

Defense looked good overall, minus a really good DE push.

You couldn't see it on the BTN replay but Stoudermire was more open than Green. Stoudermire was running an out at the goal line and Carter was at least 4 yards in to the end zone.

Weber still has to impress me that he will look to the open receiver and not Decker. If he can learn that he will be a good
BT QB, if not he will not be able to beat top BT teams. All our recievers (except Pittman ) can catch the ball, Weber must realize that!!!!!!!

Weber is already one of the best B10 QB's. Taking the next step moves him into elite status. Let's not understate him because he has room for improvement.

This year will be a big test for him, thus far he has legitimately been able to use the excuse of not having other targets. Not this year, it'll be interesting to see how he does with that.

Marquise should be are starting QB he did fine passing just wait till he can take off running he will be one of the most explosive players in the Big 10!!!

Marquise should be are starting QB he did fine passing just wait till he can take off running he will be one of the most explosive players in the Big 10!!!

just hold your gophers there big play. He'll be at the helm soon enough, we're lucky we don't have to rush him out there. A bird in the hand big guy.

Top Bottom