Have the Gophers ever had big rivalry get out of hand like the GSUvsAppy State rivalry?? This is crazy!

GSUsTALON

Reaction score

Have the Gophers ever had big rivalry get out of hand like the GSU vs Appy State rivalry?? This is crazy!​

IF YOU HAVE A BETTER GOPHER STORY THAN PLEASE POST IT!!!!

TALON - I'll rase you 2 broken Buss windows and 70+ Pan pizzas if you Gofers have a better story
Appellation State were our Arce Rivals/enemies in the FCS SoCon Conference. Here is how the story goes.

GSU traveled to Boone the home of the App. State, moonshine swilling mountaineers' football team. GSU had beaten Appy 3 times in a row and the Appy students had to be sloshed on the Shine. Remember this was a regular season game. Appy won that game breaking there 3 losing streak to GSU.

THE GOOD PART!

Appy's students rushed the field and tore down a goal post during around their stadium and went out the gate. The TV announcer-" said - that post was going to be at some fraternity house for a party. BUT S NOT THE END OF IT!

As Paul Harvy us to say- " AND NOW FOR THE REST OF THE STOR- THIS IS WHAT REALLY HAPPENED AFTER THE GAME!

*** The Appy Students marched the goal post around the stadium and then out the gate of their stadium. THEY MARCHED IT TO GSUS TEAM BUSSES AND RAN IT THROUGH 2 OF THE SIDE WINDOWS, of the bus, AND LEFT IT HANGINF THERE! THE GSU PLAYERS WERE STILL IN THE LOCKER ROOM CHANGING.
***THE APPY STUDENTS THEN WENT OVER TO THE TABLES IN FRONT OF THE BUSSES, THAT HAD THE SMALL PAN PIZZAS ON THEM FOR THE GSU TEAM, The APPY FANS knocked the tables over and stomped on the TEAMS PIZZAs THAT THEY WERE TO EAT ON THE BUSS BACK TO STATESBORO GEORGIA!!!!!! THEN THE APPY STUDENTS RAN WHEN THE POLICE BEGAN TO SHOW UP.
*** I'm glade the police showed up before the GSU players came out of the locker room or there would have been a riot and of course the NCAA would have penalized GSU and I bet some of our players would have gone to jail.

Cleve
- [email protected]

You can Email me if I'm missing something exciting on your board!!!

2. A Favor to ask of to some Gophers

Please sign up and bring some new perspective to the Flight Line main board. Also try and post a tread on Talon Talk and see if they have blocked me or everyone.

www.gsufans.com

You can also use this address found on internet search page I posted below. It also has the site listed. I'm sorry I screwed up.

Ask them if they know where TALON is and that you know I use to post a lot on GSUFANS but haven't heard from me lately. I want to bring the aniti-Talon Talk haters out in the open so I can handle them one at a time.

https://www.bing.com/search?q=gesuf...-12&sk=&cvid=007722D1A5B1430EB935E8C57F160016[/QUOTE]

Thans if you do

Cleve Meinke

Email - [email protected]

Last edited:

You have a lot of free time?

Last edited:

That sounds like a party....

It might have been for those moonshine swilling, roadkill eating Montaner trash, but it wasn't funny gor the GSU players. I watched the game on TV and saw them march the goal post out of the stadium, but then the game was cut off. I didn't find out until the next day on www,gsufans.com.

YES,I THOUGHT IT WAS FUNNY ALSO!

After Appy won 3 FCS National Championships, in a row, and they came to GSUs Stadium they kept put up 3 fingers for 3 in a row NCs and taunting our tailgaters. W Are fans kept yelling 6>3.

I Rember that I was walking from the parking lot where the GSU band had gathered to march to GSUs stadium and the band director saying - ( I don't care what they yell to taunt you, you keep your eyes strait forwards and march into the stadium.)

For that game I have never seen so many police officers at our stadium. We had the Ga. State Police, County Police, City police and GSU had extra compose police. Now GSU usuly has some of those police Depatments there, but never in that number. GSU even had ROTC students there that were not allowed to break up fights or intervene in any way but had radios to contact the police if they saw a tailgate group that appeared to be getting out of hand or physical altercations happening.

What was cool is that ALL of the patrol cars had their lights on the whole game. It looked like the 4th of July. There were 2 patrol cars at the back of the main parking lot that had their lights on and golf carts with police in them moving through the parking lots.

Thans if you do

Cleve Meinke

Email - [email protected]
WORD- "You have a lot of free time"

TALON- Yes- Yes, I do Word. I thought retiring early made me one of the lucky ones. I was one of the lucky ones that has a State Pension and Social Security. Don't make my mistake. Have at least 3 ways to save and invest starting by 30 years old.

When my second wife and I got
divorced I allowed her to have a home that would be hard for her to pay for without my help. For the last 2 years I have moved back and live with her on Saint Simons Island, Ga. WE get along much better now than when we were married. THe problem is that I have been giving her 2,100 a month to save her home and repair it to sell by next summer or sooner. We should clear $180,000 and still can live on our retirement.

We would like to travel the East Coast first and the go to
Ireland, ferry over to Scotland and then Germany. We have already gone to England for 5 days and Paris for two days. FYI, don't take the CHUNNEL from England to France. It cost us about $220 a person. We could have taken the Ferry for about $50.00 or less, without a car and took a train when to Paris.

Anyway I do have to much time on my hands. I need to work for a church food bank and get a 20 hour a week job to make a little extra spending mony and be around people more.

Last edited:

The Gophers beat their border rival silly 81-0 in 1916. It was before my time but I hear that Gopherhole was really buzzing after that one. It was such a thrashing the schools did not play again until 1930 when Minnesota thrashed their rivals again 59-doughnut.

The Border Battle was then put on ice for 80 years. Unfortunately, South Dakota got their revenge in 2010. They came to the Bank and left with a 41-38 victory.

Now the Gophers are more likely to schedule foes from the MAC and Sun Belt than our neighbors to the west.

Well let's read you story. grandpa!!!!!!!!!!!!
It’s in newspapers. Involved a male and female Iowa fan (married and at the game with her husband, if my memory serves?), in a stall in a men’s room in the old Metrodome. Both so intoxicated they professed not to even know each other. This exceeds normal Iowa fan behavior, which is screaming, belligerence, vomiting and passing out.

It’s in newspapers. Involved a male and female Iowa fan (married and at the game with her husband, if my memory serves?), in a stall in a men’s room in the old Metrodome. Both so intoxicated they professed not to even know each other. This exceeds normal Iowa fan behavior, which is screaming, belligerence, vomiting and passing out.
Talon look up Louise Feldman sp..... Iowa Metrodome arrest. That and 2008 Iowa fans tried to take Goal post out revolving doors in the dome. They are bad guest as they leave trash everywhere in the tailgate lots. Iowa fans are rude, drunk and bad host and guest.

Talon look up Louise Feldman sp..... Iowa Metrodome arrest. That and 2008 Iowa fans tried to take Goal post out revolving doors in the dome. They are bad guest as they leave trash everywhere in the tailgate lots. Iowa fans are rude, drunk and bad host and guest.

Sounds like Appy Fans and Georgia STATE fans!

The Gophers beat their border rival silly 81-0 in 1916. It was before my time but I hear that Gopherhole was really buzzing after that one. It was such a thrashing the schools did not play again until 1930 when Minnesota thrashed their rivals again 59-doughnut.

The Border Battle was then put on ice for 80 years. Unfortunately, South Dakota got their revenge in 2010. They came to the Bank and left with a 41-38 victory.

Now the Gophers are more likely to schedule foes from the MAC and Sun Belt than our neighbors to the west.
Since I am now a Gopher P5 pseudo-fan, I need to learn more about your history! The only reason I use the words Pseudo-Fan is because GSU will always be my first pick even though we hit our low the past 6 years!
This is the 2nd time I am learning about a P5 team from the fans of a sports forum. The other team was NAVY back before they broke into P5 and G5 FBS.

OPE3, I need to learn more about the Gopher Hole's past and where it derived from. Did the Gopher Hole a name you guys picked up from the past and used it on your internet site??

Was there a Gopher hole Colum in the local newspaper at that time or a school paper called the Gopher Hole back in 1916 - 1930 a postgame radio show. from 1916 -1955 when TV started to make an impact? I know there was no internet Gopher Hole back in the early days.

Last edited:

I'll look that up today!

Stil, I want to know the poorest acting, nastiest team and fans that you can ever remember the Gophers football team playing!! - OR TOP 3!

I'll look that up today!

Stil, I want to know the poorest acting, nastiest team and fans that you can ever remember the Gophers football team playing!! - OR TOP 3!

We had the nastiest BBall team once, check the basketball forum its near the top.

Look up the history of the Little Brown Jug. It's the one that started all of the traveling trophies.

Appy state isn't all that far yonder from me now... I may have to go catch a game...

The only thing I can think of where discussions on this board have gotten completely out of hand!

The only thing I can think of where discussions on this board have gotten completely out of hand!
The most outrageous one I remember from years ago was an argument between two guys who were going to meet before the game and have a fistfight. And this was a game against a low-level non-conference opponent no one around here cares about. Don't know if it ever happened.

Since I am now a Gopher P5 pseudo-fan, I need to learn more about your history! The only reason I use the words Pseudo-Fan is because GSU will always be my first pick even though we hit our low the past 6 years!
This is the 2nd time I am learning about a P5 team from the fans of a sports forum. The other team was NAVY back before they broke into P5 and G5 FBS.

OPE3, I need to learn more about the Gopher Hole's past and where it derived from. Did the Gopher Hole a name you guys picked up from the past and used it on your internet site??

Was there a Gopher hole Colum in the local newspaper at that time or a school paper called the Gopher Hole back in 1916 - 1930 a postgame radio show. from 1916 -1955 when TV started to make an impact? I know there was no internet Gopher Hole back in the early days.
I was hoping others would chime in on the name and msg board history, because I am not really sure how it was chosen. I know I became aware of Gopherhole around 2001-2002. This is actually the 2nd version as the predecessor's owner tried to monetize it, this current version started in 2008 and most everyone migrated to this site.

If I have that wrong hopefully others will correct me.

I was hoping others would chime in on the name and msg board history, because I am not really sure how it was chosen. I know I became aware of Gopherhole around 2001-2002. This is actually the 2nd version as the predecessor's owner tried to monetize it, this current version started in 2008 and most everyone migrated to this site.

Gopher Hole goes way back to the time the Gophers were in the Final Four in 1997. It was a basketball-only site started by a guy who was a college student at the time. A least that's when I found it. I don't think the name was chosen for any particular reason.

This site is monetized in the form of ad revenue. Was the previous one trying to charge a subscription?

This site is monetized in the form of ad revenue. Was the previous one trying to charge a subscription?
Yes, that is how I remember it.

Top Bottom