Hastings to Wisconsin

MaxyJR1

Reaction score
Minnesota State looking for a new coach.

As if I needed ANOTHER reason to dislike Hastings. In all seriousness, this is great for UW. It'll take a bit, but they'll be hard to handle once he gets his guys in there.

Big pickup for Wisconsin.

Hastings has won the Spencer Penrose Division I Coach of the Year Award three times.

Right now Wisconsin is not up to snuff. This should right the ship for Wisconsin.

This is the year of the Gophers. Minnesota needs to win this Frozen Four. Minnesota has the best talent in the nation.

The Wisconsin women's hockey team has won the NCAA title a record 7 times, including this year, coached by Mark Johnson who played with Miracle on Ice. And now probably a menace in men's hockey again.

I thought the same thing when they hired Granato.

Interesting if he keeps the same strategy of loading up with 25 year old guys or not.

MSU roster getting absolutely gutted. Hope they enjoyed their small taste of big time college hockey while it lasted.

Long term, depends on who they get to replace him.
There’s a lot of 25 year old men in Canada who like hockey and would be happy to get a free education while playing. They can stay competitive if they want to.

There’s a lot of 25 year old men in Canada who like hockey and would be happy to get a free education while playing. They can stay competitive if they want to.
Yeah, but how are they going to get into Wisconsin? You need a 39 on the ACT and a 4.8 GPA- that's what my Badger friends tell me. After all, Harvard is the Wisconsin of the East Coast.

Last edited:

Yeah, but how are they going to get into Wisconsin? You need a 39 on the ACT and a 4.8 GPA- that's what my Badgers friends tell me. After all, Harvard is the Wisconsin of the East Coast.
And even if you have those numbers, they just won't take kids from some high schools.

I thought the same thing when they hired Granato.

Interesting if he keeps the same strategy of loading up with 25 year old guys or not.
This exaggerated excuse is getting so tiresome and ridiculous. Just stop

MSU roster getting absolutely gutted. Hope they enjoyed their small taste of big time college hockey while it lasted.
Winningest Program in college hockey over the last ten years or something. Multiple frozen fours. Consistently beat us while we cry about a 1.2 year average age difference

No wonder outsiders think we are pompous asses lol

Winningest Program in college hockey over the last ten years or something. Multiple frozen fours. Consistently beat us while we cry about a 1.2 year average age difference

No wonder outsiders think we are pompous asses lol
I did say they got a taste of the big time, didn’t I? But if you want to pump them up, we have made more frozen fours in the last ten years than them. They had good teams but had a record inflated by a weak conference as well. And this is over a 10 year period that was relatively disappointing by gopher standards. So Mankato’s best 10 years are about comparable to a Minnesota down period. Rather be a pompous ass than a fan of a nobody program.

I did say they got a taste of the big time, didn’t I? But if you want to pump them up, we have made more frozen fours in the last ten years than them. They had good teams but had a record inflated by a weak conference as well. And this is over a 10 year period that was relatively disappointing by gopher standards. So Mankato’s best 10 years are about comparable to a Minnesota down period. Rather be a pompous ass than a fan of a nobody program.
Considering that "nobody" program has a winning record against us over the last decade, what does that say about the Gophers?

Considering that "nobody" program has a winning record against us over the last decade, what does that say about the Gophers?
What’s their record against us all time? Which program is in better shape going forward? I already have them credit for their last decade, and now they’re going to go back to the same old middle of the road program they always were. I don’t hear many gopher fans talking about how great the last decade was, because for large stretches, it wasn’t.

Yes MSU beat us twice in a row on the big stage, hats off to them. They will cling to that forever while we have bigger things to chase.

You seem especially bitter about this issue. Does your MSU team not have its own message board?
Been a Gopher fan my whole life. Been on this site for ~13 years, even donated money to help keep Gopherhole afloat

My only bitterness is the justification of mediocre performance with asinine excuses.

"Those aren't a REAL programs! The last decade of ass whippings were just a hiccup!"

"They (any program that outperformed ours) bring in 25 year old Canadians!"

"Our rink is too big"

"The BigTen killed us"

"Muh academic standards!"

It's so, so tiresome.... Hopefully this is the new norm & Motzko sticks around.

Been a Gopher fan my whole life. Been on this site for ~13 years, even donated money to help keep Gopherhole afloat

My only bitterness is the justification of mediocre performance with asinine excuses.

"Those aren't a REAL programs! The last decade of ass whippings were just a hiccup!"

"Our rink is too big"

"The BigTen killed us"

We have won more tournament games than any program in the last 3 years, made 2 straight frozen fours, and were 3 minutes away from a title. This program has been anything but mediocre under Bob. But to address your points.

1. Yes MSU has a winning record against us in the last 10 years, however they have not consistently whooped our ass, but even if they did I'm not seeing what's relevant in this thread about that.
2. It is a provable fact that MSU has fielded older teams most years, I'm not sure why it bothers you that people point it out. I'm not seeing anyone here on GH using it as an excuse for losing.
3. There are varying opinions about the rink size, but I'm not seeing where anyone has used it to "justify mediocre performance".
4. The B10 whiners have always been annoying, I have consistently taken that stance.
5. The only mention of academics I see here is people making fun of UW for acting like they are an Ivy League school.

This is a thread about Wisconsin, a conference rival hiring Mike Hastings as their head coach, and the related impact it will have on college hockey. You felt the need to turn it into an analysis of our program vs Mankato and others. On top of that you are trying to dispute arguments that haven't even been made. I don't care who you are a fan of. If you want to make a separate thread comparing our programs with others, go ahead, but please at least stick to facts.

"Our rink is too big"

"The BigTen killed us"

You are getting worked up over a whole lot of nothing. I have never heard any of these things being used as excuses. The only one that could even come close is the age thing, and even then I haven't heard it as an excuse. I have indeed heard people point it out and it is undeniable. Many non- traditional powers have used the formula very well... Bringing in players with many years of juniors experience, and having them stick around. Yes, many of them are Canadians. Happy to go through the rosters with you. I would appreciate it if you can point out one post where someone on this site said that "well, we lost to Q only because they have older Canadians." Most posters were putting the blame smack dab on the Gophers themselves.

You are getting worked up over a whole lot of nothing. I have never heard any of these things being used as excuses. The only one that could even come close is the age thing, and even then I haven't heard it as an excuse. I have indeed heard people point it out and it is undeniable. Many non- traditional powers have used the formula very well... Bringing in players with many years of juniors experience, and having them stick around. Yes, many of them are Canadians. Happy to go through the rosters with you. I would appreciate it if you can point out one post where someone on this site said that "well, we lost to Q only because they have older Canadians." Most posters were putting the blame smack dab on the Gophers themselves.
Yep, if anything our fans are overly critical of the players and coaches.

Never liked that town anyway. Good Riddance. ;)

He is going to have a ton of talent to work with. By my records at least 14 draft picks. Maybe even 16+ at this point... They will be good.

BU and BU will also likely have 15+ draft picks on the roster. More NHL picks consolidated in the top teams next season than last year.

Last edited:

Big pickup for Wisconsin.

Hastings has won the Spencer Penrose Division I Coach of the Year Award three times.

Right now Wisconsin is not up to snuff. This should right the ship for Wisconsin.

This is the year of the Gophers. Minnesota needs to win this Frozen Four. Minnesota has the best talent in the nation.

The Wisconsin women's hockey team has won the NCAA title a record 7 times, including this year, coached by Mark Johnson who played with Miracle on Ice. And now probably a menace in men's hockey again.
Bump. You might want to get out of the prognostication business.

a sweep of minnesota and michigan is a decent way to start the conference season for wisconsin.

Top Bottom