Haskins benching

highwayman

Knows Less Than Coaching Staff
Reaction score
Dwayne Haskins' poor study and practice habits led to his benching

I know this isn't really Gopher football related. However, coaching styles, program goals, and work ethic is. I wonder where he picked up his study and practice work ethic? When you have great natural ability, sometimes the work ethic fades away. This can begin young, and if fostered into adulthood, you hit a wall. Haskins may have hit this wall.

I'm not shocked. Even at his best, Haskins has always looked like he doesn't show much leadership ability. He's there to be there.

Kinda sad.

Has Urban ever produced any NFL quarterbacks who actually work out? Serious question.

I guess Alex Smith is the only one I can think of.

Tim Tebow - not really
Chris Leak - no
Cardale Jones - no
JT Barrett - where is he?
Dwayne Haskins - guess not

Makes me very curious how Justin Fields will do coming out of that system

Even Urban has said repeatedly that he wasn't ready to lead a team since he came out. Not surprised by this really, especially since there have been MULTIPLE reports that his work ethic, effort and leadership are just not close to being up to par.

Shocker, the Twitter mob is already hard at work making this a race issue.

Even Urban has said repeatedly that he wasn't ready to lead a team since he came out. Not surprised by this really, especially since there have been MULTIPLE reports that his work ethic, effort and leadership are just not close to being up to par.

Shocker, the Twitter mob is already hard at work making this a race issue.

The "Twitter mob"? You realize there are equal parts on both sides on Twitter, right?

Has Urban ever produced any NFL quarterbacks who actually work out? Serious question.

Tim Tebow - not really
Chris Leak - no
Cardale Jones - no

Go take a look at the QBs Saban has turned out at Alabama. Translating to NFL success is a crazy inexact science. Think it argues for how much easier it is to read defenses in college and how you can "out-athlete" teams versus the NFL that margin shrinks infinitely and you have to have QBs who can think the game as well, regardless of race or innate skill set

Possible that Saban is such a control freak that he doesn't allow players to excel off the field and become leaders. Has to be a reason somewhere.

I think the QBs in top programs get spoiled by their teams skill differential. The coaches win on sheer recruiting power and less on coaching ability. Sure they can coach but its not what makes their program.

It's not just Urbz. Ohio State's best NFL QB is Bobby Hoying? Craig Krenzel? Mike Tomczak?

Their former QBs include a star NFL punter, a lifelong felon, the top CFB announcer, and a couple OK wide receivers, but a regular NFL starter? Never. Even a bunch of MAC schools have put out more.

Haskins was the first since Schlichter to get drafted high. Now Fields seems set to be top 10. That NFL team should be careful.

Ohio State QB is football on easy mode. Any guy they put back there is Mr Heisman but vanishes in the NFL.

Purdue, Michigan, MSU, Indiana, Penn State, Wisconsin, Illinois, Maryland have all had more successful NFL QBs than Ohio State

Minnesota, Northwestern, Rutgers, Iowa, and Ohio State are the only B1G schools I can't think of a multi-year NFL starting QB from in the past 30 years.

Tim Tebow - not really
Chris Leak - no
Cardale Jones - no

Joe Burreaux

I truly don't understand how a team's GM and scouting department could let things like this get past them during draft evaluation. I mean, they're out there talking to your professors, pee-wee coaches, ex-girlfriend...how can you not know a kid is a poor leader, lazy with film and study, etc? I understand missing on talent, but with millions invested in the draft process, you shouldn't miss on character.

I truly don't understand how a team's GM and scouting department could let things like this get past them during draft evaluation. I mean, they're out there talking to your professors, pee-wee coaches, ex-girlfriend...how can you not know a kid is a poor leader, lazy with film and study, etc? I understand missing on talent, but with millions invested in the draft process, you shouldn't miss on character.
I assume they rationalize it away and convince themselves that given the right structure a new leaf can turn.

If you aren’t a horrible person most people are going to say nice things about you

Allegedly, as ridiculous as it sounds, a considerable factor was that Snyder's son went to the same HS as Haskins, and apparently Snyder is enamored with the idea of having a black quarterback lead the football franchise based in the predominantly black nation’s capital.

Allegedly, as ridiculous as it sounds, a considerable factor was that Snyder's son went to the same HS as Haskins, and apparently Snyder is enamored with the idea of having a black quarterback lead the football franchise based in the predominantly black nation’s capital.
Yeah, I heard Snyder had a lot to do with it as well. Guess that explains most of it. Meddling owner thinks he's smarter than the people he pays to make personnel decisions. Jerry Jones syndrome.

They listened to the same idiot that said Tyler Johnson had character issues.....
Matt "Dink" Miller.

Top Bottom