Has there ever been a "bad" visit?

Miles Tarver

Reaction score
Saw the news today about Illkainen's visit. I think Ryan James said it went "very very well"

Made me think, have you ever seen a recruit come out and say the visit didn't go well, and it was not what they were expecting?

I know we obviously love to hear things went "well" but it seems like it's such a cliche now that is said by every recruit

Most of these kids are a lot more media-savvy now - and they have AAU coaches and other people telling them what to say. Nobody wants to burn any bridges in case they don't get an offer from their favored school, and they need plan B as a fall-back option. Plus, with Illkainen being a MN kid, he's not going to bad-mouth the U unless something went insanely wrong during the visit.

Very rarely. Honestly, the only time I ever heard it was when the media ascended on Will Humphries' doorstep after Kris visited with Monson after everything at Duke fell through. Will told a couple of reporters that the visit didn't go that well and I remember thinking that no parent/player would ever say that, and that we were a day or so away from Kris committing to the U. He was just trying to throw things off.

I think Alex has said his visit at Cal went very well, his visits a few weeks ago to the Nebraska schools went very well, as did his prior visits to the U.

Go Gophers!!

Saw the news today about Illkainen's visit. I think Ryan James said it went "very very well"

Made me think, have you ever seen a recruit come out and say the visit didn't go well, and it was not what they were expecting?

I know we obviously love to hear things went "well" but it seems like it's such a cliche now that is said by every recruit

On the football side of things it was reported that Jerry Gibson had a bad visit to South Carolina last year.

On the football side of things it was reported that Jerry Gibson had a bad visit to South Carolina last year.

Thank you. I knew someone the Gophers recruited said they didn't have a good visit with another school. Couldn't remember who it was.

Didn't a 5 star football player decommit from OSU because there were too many pervs on campus?

Didn't Lydon Murtha hate the visit because they took him to a strip club?

Oh no...Murtha LOVED the strip club visit. He was just embarrassed that Mason and his Dad found out the details and the rest was all a coverup.

Go Gophers!!

Another football recruit, Conner Krizancic, said he didn't have a very good visit to Cincinnati.

Recently a Wisc commit was charged with rape after his visit to Madison...I think that qualifies as a bad visit.

So as long as the boys in blue aren't involved its a visit at a minimum that went "well"?

Care to explain any of this to those of us who have never heard this story before?

Russ Archambeault got into a fight with El Amin during a pickup game while he was visiting the U....prior to that we were believed to be in the mix for him (especially as he was a local kid)....after that he went to UConn and led them to a national title

Russ Archambeault got into a fight with El Amin during a pickup game while he was visiting the U....prior to that we were believed to be in the mix for him (especially as he was a local kid)....after that he went to UConn and led them to a national title

A little misleading ... the fight was years before El Amin's final decision. I think he was a soph at the time and he actually was committed to the U. Those in attendance say the effect is way overblown and it was no big deal. El Amin committed and decommitted from the U several times over 3 years.

In any event, El Amin ended up going to UConn mostly because he was paid by boosters under the table (there are articles talking about apartment for him and his GF and car was reported as well, probably other stuff too) and partly because he wanted to get away from the Twin Cities media making his personal life (namely, his youthful indiscretions) front page news.

Top Bottom