Has it been 10 years?

husker70

Reaction score
Lining up against the 1999 defense

Schelct, Russ, Michaels, Riley, Hoffman, Hall, Merzera, Wyrick, Middlebrooks, Carter, Ward.

Hmm.

Small, Brown, Onawuchi,McKinley, Campbell, Triplett, Lawernce, Sherrels, Simmons, Royston, Theret.

This is first time we have had senior defensive tackles with experience. And defense is built up the middle.
We are deeper now, and no one can replace Carter.

The 1999 defense was the best under Mason by far. I do think this years defense will be the best defense since 1999. I don't think we'll be able to top the 1999 defense this year. That 1999 defense was on of the best in the Big Ten that year.

That 1999 Defense was Deadly.......

I remember holding Ohio State to 17 points.......

They held a pretty good Penn State offense to 23 points in Penn State.

Lining up against the 1999 defense

Schelct, Russ, Michaels, Riley, Hoffman, Hall, Merzera, Wyrick, Middlebrooks, Carter, Ward.

Eli Ward wasn't part of the '99 defense; he was a red-shirt freshman that year.

There were some good players on that defense, but Carter made them all look better. He was a one-man defense.

Delvin Jones was the other CB who was a good player as well.

That roster was loaded and it had a lot of young talent (who became very good players later on) and veterans. A good number of players on that team were Wacker recruits: Cockerham, Bruce, Carter, Haayer, Hamilton, Hamner, Haas, Hoffman, Leverson, Mezera, Michals, Poole, Riley, Russ, Rackley, Wyrick and maybe missed one or two. Guys like Jack Brewer,

That team had some close losses and I felt it had the talent to make a run for a BT title. Even though many felt that D was the best we have seen in a long time, it still allowed 18 ppg in the BT. But we were in every game which is what good D must be able to do. I would do cartwheels if the 2009 D can match that. (Well, kinda like a cartwheel which would look rather comical I am sure)

I may be wrong, but I believe if we had won that '99 overtime game with Wisky, we would have gone to Pasadena.

I may be wrong, but I believe if we had won that '99 overtime game with Wisky, we would have gone to Pasadena.
Assuming the season would've played out the same, I believe you are correct. There would have been a log jam of teams at 6-2, so I would assume we would have gotten the tie breaker.

If Brock and Van were back on this defense this year then I'd say this year we could be even better. They are not but hopefully we'll be in the top half of the conference.

The 1999 defense was the best under Mason by far. I do think this years defense will be the best defense since 1999. I don't think we'll be able to top the 1999 defense this year. That 1999 defense was on of the best in the Big Ten that year.

The best D in the BT by far in 1999 was Wisconsin. Guess who the DC was? Yep our very own Kevin Cosgrove.

Cosgrove is mainly remembered for his poor record during his last year at Nebraska. He had some pretty salty D's during his coaching tenure.

I had forgotten how close we were to a New Years Day bowl that year. 3 losses at home by less than a TD. Hard to believe we were 4-0 on the road in the Big Ten.

That Ohio State game was probably the most exciting loss I've ever witnessed, we were so close and it ended so cliche.......

Top Bottom