Has college football become social media dating?

roadrunner

Reaction score
Given recent events in the program- coaches leaving, players transferring, transfers switching commitments, recruits seeking better NIL deals, starters jumping to bigger conferences- one could ask if college football has become just another version of Tinder and Instagram dating?
The quotes you hear could compare..."I want to see where the program is going?", "I need a six figure arrangement", and "I've decided to look for a new situation."
Relationships have become self-serving, transitory, and deleteable, and loyalty has become a buzz word spoken at press conferences. What does being a Gopher mean anymore?

Not sure dating is the right analogy but loyalty with coaches hasn't been a thing in college football for a long time. With the free transfer and NIL deals it has spread more to the players as well now. The roster churn from year to year now is pretty impressive. Transfers all over the place. When you watch a game it seems like the announcers are always mentioning where a player transferred from.

Coaches (especially assistants) have always been vagabonds.

It's basically the NFL with everyone playing on one-year contracts.

Coaches (especially assistants) have always been vagabonds.

It's basically the NFL with everyone playing on one-year contracts.
It's so much worse than the NFL because everyone is essentially on 1 year contracts. At least in the pro leagues you can count on a player being around for a certain number of years based on their contract.

The free for all right now in college football means that coaches are constantly recruiting new players and trying to retain their current players. System the way it is now isn't sustainable long term.

You are going to see the burnout rate with coaches go up even more and you will have a lot of coaches deciding it just isn't worth it to deal with the constant roster churn every season.

Not sure dating is the right analogy but loyalty with coaches hasn't been a thing in college football for a long time. With the free transfer and NIL deals it has spread more to the players as well now. The roster churn from year to year now is pretty impressive. Transfers all over the place. When you watch a game it seems like the announcers are always mentioning where a player transferred from.
I think it would have to be compared to Tinder the way coaches and players are flitting about...
HIT & RUN dating....:oops:

I doubt very, very much that people making up to ten million dollars X 10 years are turning their backs on coaching because of the stress of the portal.
Assistant coaches don't make anything close to what the head guys make.

Older coaches who have already made a ton of money may decide to get out sooner than they would have because it just isn't worth the grind anymore.

Bottom line is they are going to have to find a way to introduce more stability back into things because this isn't sustainable long term in the current form.

I doubt very, very much that people making up to ten million dollars X 10 years are turning their backs on coaching because of the stress of the portal.
Are those the only coaches out there? C'mon, think. There's also all those coaches at G5 schools and such that might get sick of this before they ever come near ten million dollars. Even the coach at Pitt might just say "f it", for example. Or Charlotte, where we essentially traded WR with them, with us getting the better one.

Or, if you've already got the Brian Kelly/Mel Tucker money, wouldn't that be more reason to say "f it" since you'll never spend any of the future money you'll make?

This is the actual Transfer Portal. Definitely opportunity to make this more modern. There appears to be nothing about the player beyond a barebones database.
DppM6XjXgAQf6Gx.jpeg

I could do away with that. They do that on the pro side as well. Its constant. As far as I'm concern, forget the school where he/she came from.

Last edited:

Given recent events in the program- coaches leaving, players transferring, transfers switching commitments, recruits seeking better NIL deals, starters jumping to bigger conferences- one could ask if college football has become just another version of Tinder and Instagram dating?
The quotes you hear could compare..."I want to see where the program is going?", "I need a six figure arrangement", and "I've decided to look for a new situation."
Relationships have become self-serving, transitory, and deleteable, and loyalty has become a buzz word spoken at press conferences. What does being a Gopher mean anymore?
I would say it is closer to Ashley Madison - in a committed relationship, but looking for discreet hookups to play elsewhere. :)

Assistant coaches don't make anything close to what the head guys make.

Older coaches who have already made a ton of money may decide to get out sooner than they would have because it just isn't worth the grind anymore.

Bottom line is they are going to have to find a way to introduce more stability back into things because this isn't sustainable long term in the current form.
Just like the NFL there is always someone to replace them. If 100 NFL players retired suddenly after the season—all 100 would be replaced happily. College football coaches are the same. Football is basically untouchable in this country.

1673056822260.png
The Olympics at 36? Post Super Bowl.

Just like the NFL there is always someone to replace them. If 100 NFL players retired suddenly after the season—all 100 would be replaced happily. College football coaches are the same. Football is basically untouchable in this country.

View attachment 22966
The Olympics at 36? Post Super Bowl.

People still watch the Thanksgiving Parade? Who knew.

No idea. Never dated anyone I started a relationship with via social media. I met my spouse in a bar like you're supposed to.

Top Bottom