Has anyone seen Builtbadgers?

touchdownvikings

Reaction score
I've been a bit spotty... Have some cool things going on that are taking some time.

But, that said, I don't recall seeing Built in a while. Worried about him.

Anyone recall seeing him?

I was wondering as well. Seems like more than a year since I've seen a post from him. Didn't always agree with his takes, but always felt he had very reasonable opinions and thoughts on the program and College Basketball in general.

I was wondering as well. Seems like more than a year since I've seen a post from him. Didn't always agree with his takes, but always felt he had very reasonable opinions and thoughts on the program and College Basketball in general.
Yep. Solid mind to bounce basketball ideas off of. Plus, he seems like a good man. I hope he checks in soon.

it looks like his last post was 4/8/23

I remember I asked a while back about him. If I remember correctly, he said he was just taking a step back, without much explanation.
He’s not the only one who has taken a step back. Traffic here is way down, even accounting for the time of year. That says a lot about interest in the program from a population that should be most engaged. I feel like I’m in a reboot of Major League, Power Five edition.

Beating Iowa again will encourage a few more folks to climb back on the bandwagon. Losing the opener was a buzzkill. And traffic was meh BEFORE the loss.
In this town you can't go 5 and 7 regular season and expect goldfish behavior going forward.

He’s not the only one who has taken a step back. Traffic here is way down, even accounting for the time of year. That says a lot about interest in the program from a population that should be most engaged. I feel like I’m in a reboot of Major League, Power Five edition.
I agree, I don't post a ton, but I was a very avid lurker until recently. I've found that I'm starting to lose interest. Losing the core from last year's team was pretty disheartening.

I could be wrong - but I think part of the issue is that opinions on Johnson have become so polarized, it's just like with politics. there is no middle ground. either you like Johnson or you think he should never have been hired.

and every thread just turns into the same thing. endless p*ssing matches with people on opposite sides shouting (figuratively) at each other. after a while, it's just no fun to be on here either reading or participating in the same argument every day.

for me, Gopher Hole is entertainment. a chance to have some fun reading about and discussing Gopher Sports. but the politics board has become largely unreadable because it's the same people having the same argument on every thread. and now the Basketball board is going down the same path.

I expect traffic will pick up once the season starts. And I hope that people can at least try to respect other opinions even if they don't agree. but I'm not holding my breath on that.

I could be wrong - but I think part of the issue is that opinions on Johnson have become so polarized, it's just like with politics. there is no middle ground. either you like Johnson or you think he should never have been hired.

and every thread just turns into the same thing. endless p*ssing matches with people on opposite sides shouting (figuratively) at each other. after a while, it's just no fun to be on here either reading or participating in the same argument every day.

for me, Gopher Hole is entertainment. a chance to have some fun reading about and discussing Gopher Sports. but the politics board has become largely unreadable because it's the same people having the same argument on every thread. and now the Basketball board is going down the same path.

I expect traffic will pick up once the season starts. And I hope that people can at least try to respect other opinions even if they don't agree. but I'm not holding my breath on that.
College sports is purely year to year now. The offseason prep recruiting used to keep me engaged as it could be a predictor of how good the team may be down the road. It's hard to stay engaged in the offseason when 90% of the team will be likely turning over the following season. Just don't have the same storylines to follow as in the past.

I agree, I don't post a ton, but I was a very avid lurker until recently. I've found that I'm starting to lose interest. Losing the core from last year's team was pretty disheartening.

This is me as well. I used to check this page multiple times daily. Now I’m lucky to check in once a week.

College sports is purely year to year now. The offseason prep recruiting used to keep me engaged as it could be a predictor of how good the team may be down the road. It's hard to stay engaged in the offseason when 90% of the team will be likely turning over the following season. Just don't have the same storylines to follow as in the past.
Completely agree. Makes more sense now just to wait till the season to see who your 12 are.

I can see that but I don't agree. I think the offseason is much more eventful now. Used to be that you brought in 3 or 4 freshmen but they typically were committed before the offseason. Maybe a transfer or two came in during the offseason.

Now you might see 8 guys brought in during the offseason and even more recruited.

I agree that it's year to year now but that doesn't seem to bother me so much. Players aren't around long enough for me to get sick of them.

I think part of the issue is that opinions on Johnson have become so polarized, it's just like with politics. there is no middle ground. either you like Johnson or you think he should never have been hired.

There is a third option and it's not so much about liking or disliking Johnson. A person can think he probably shouldn't have been hired but he's the coach now and you support the team until the curtain comes down after the final performance.

The reason why i have only been checking in periodically.

Hope Built is doing well and checks in soon. Always respected his contribution. I think I may owe him a round of golf for one of our season projection bets. Would love to pay it off.

There is a third option and it's not so much about liking or disliking Johnson. A person can think he probably shouldn't have been hired but he's the coach now and you support the team until the curtain comes down after the final performance.
I think there is a large portion of the fanbase that is right here.

I can see that but I don't agree. I think the offseason is much more eventful now. Used to be that you brought in 3 or 4 freshmen but they typically were committed before the offseason. Maybe a transfer or two came in during the offseason.

Now you might see 8 guys brought in during the offseason and even more recruited.

I agree that it's year to year now but that doesn't seem to bother me so much. Players aren't around long enough for me to get sick of them.
I'm with 777 on this one. It was the recruiting classes, player development and long-term forecasting of a roster that was the binding agent which kept me perpetually engaged.

I'm just one (1) guy but my enthusiasm for the program is at a low point that I would've never expected to reach as a lifelong fan.

I'll echo what others have said...interest in college sports is way down for me. Transfer portal and no divisions in football have given me little interest to do much but tune into some games. Still spend some time looking through stuff in the off topic but pretty ghostly compared to years ago.

But, that said, I don't recall seeing Built in a while. Worried about him.

Anyone recall seeing him?
Not just him, but @MplsGopher hasn't posted in a while either. Wonder if he's ok, or if something happened. But he would generate a lot of traffic on a lot of threads - Nadine at least owes him a lunch or something haha.

But in seriousness, hope they're ok.

Yeah, that drove a lot of interest for me too. Getting a commit from someone like Bateman and then seeing him stick with it and sign, you'd get excited that we'd have a great WR for at least 3 years. Now it's not even worth getting excited about.

Plus the other aspect is that when you'd see a Michigan type of team miss on a QB or something and think you might catch them in a down year and beat them. Now they won't have down years because they'll portal in super stars to make up for any recruiting misses.

I'll echo what others have said...interest in college sports is way down for me. Transfer portal and no divisions in football have given me little interest to do much but tune into some games.
Last weekend I didn't even watch a single snap of college football. Seeing Michigan (previous week vs. Texas) walk off the field in the middle of their drive before halftime because of the "two minute timeout" pretty much sealed in for me - I'll just watch the B1G 20 minute recap on youtube if I think it's worth it.

If a team I care about makes the playoff, I might watch. But I'm done with the "regular season".

I'm with 777 on this one. It was the recruiting classes, player development and long-term forecasting of a roster that was the binding agent which kept me perpetually engaged.

I'm just one (1) guy but my enthusiasm for the program is at a low point that I would've never expected to reach as a lifelong fan.

I understand a person feeling that way but I've usually followed the Mae West philosophy: "When given a choice between two evils, I always pick the one I haven't tried before."

There are both pluses and minuses to the current system. I didn't like losing Payne and Hawkins to other programs but I wish we could have lost Gaston, Bakary, and Michael Hurt to other programs. I also wasn't unhappy to see Gabe leave after two subpar seasons and I was thrilled that I didn't have to watch Tre' Williams anymore after his first two years.

Yeah, that drove a lot of interest for me too. Getting a commit from someone like Bateman and then seeing him stick with it and sign, you'd get excited that we'd have a great WR for at least 3 years. Now it's not even worth getting excited about.

Plus the other aspect is that when you'd see a Michigan type of team miss on a QB or something and think you might catch them in a down year and beat them. Now they won't have down years because they'll portal in super stars to make up for any recruiting misses.
See Badger QB Russell Wilson. Nothin new.

See Badger QB Russell Wilson. Nothin new.
Yep! You sure got me there! This current situation is almost identical to a grad transfer from about 12 years ago. Hardly any difference at all.

You are obviously a master at this message board debating. Heck, with posts like that I have to believe you attended college on a debate scholarship.

Good job!

Top Bottom