Has Any Player Officially Opted Out of Bowl Game...?

BilldGopher

Section 211
Reaction score
Inquiring mind...

Don't think I've seen anything. Please correct me if wrong...

Inquiring mind...

Don't think I've seen anything. Please correct me if wrong...

Nothing official yet. As I mentioned in another thread, I will be surprised - but also proud - if Big Dan plays. It also seems like most players who are skipping their bowl games have announced such by now.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if PJ knew players were sitting out but kept it close to the vest until game day.

Nothing official yet. As I mentioned in another thread, I will be surprised - but also proud - if Big Dan plays. It also seems like most players who are skipping their bowl games have announced such by now.

That said, it wouldn't surprise me if PJ knew players were sitting out but kept it close to the vest until game day.
PJ already said there won’t be any opt outs for the bowl game.

Yeah, the way he said it was interesting. To paraphrase, "I haven't heard of anyone. Have you guys?"

Just seemed a bit coy, but I could be overthinking because of how PJ has been with injuries.

I think that it must be fun for the Gophers football team right now that Kirk Ciarrocca is back in the fold. I know he can only be a bystander as agreed upon. But, the entire team playing together before some of them depart would be nice. I wonder if some of them get some advice elsewhere to forego it if they are entering the NFL Draft.

We will know just before the game if there are opt-outs.

I think that it must be fun for the Gophers football team right now that Kirk Ciarrocca is back in the fold. I know he can only be a bystander as agreed upon. But, the entire team playing together before some of them depart would be nice. I wonder if some of them get some advice elsewhere to forego it if they are entering the NFL Draft.

We will know just before the game if there are opt-outs.
I'd like to be a fly on the wall if Kirk is watching film with Simon. "Hey Simon, call this play". "You see what they do in this situation?"

If any starters were going to opt out, PJ would know already. What starter would run in practice with the first team, denying his back up first team reps, and then announce at the last minute that he was opting out? That would undermine the effort to win. We don’t have guys like that. If we hear right before the game that some player opted out, you can bet that PJ knew about it well in advance and had the next-up guy practicing with the first teamers.

Last edited:

What starter would run in practice with the first team, denying his back up first team reps, and then announce at the last minute that he was opting out?
If Fleck knows that they are opting out, perhaps they wouldn't get the reps in as a starter. Perhaps rather to simply working out. Not everyone can afford trainers etc.

I'd like to be a fly on the wall if Kirk is watching film with Simon. "Hey Simon, call this play". "You see what they do in this situation?"
They will come with a big fly swatter after you.

PJ isn’t going to share if someone is opted out or injured until 12/28 at kickoff. Then we’ll know
I don't think there is any reason to believe that.

We knew Kamal Martin opted out of the 2020 Outback Bowl.

If Fleck knows that they are opting out, perhaps they wouldn't get the reps in as a starter. Perhaps rather to simply working out. Not everyone can afford trainers etc.
If you’re opting out for the draft your agent pays for trainers.

I don't think there is any reason to believe that.

We knew Kamal Martin opted out of the 2020 Outback Bowl.
Yeah I feel like it’s typically common knowledge well ahead of time if a player opts out of the bowl.

The coaches for certain know now if anyone is opting out. If you are practicing with first or even second unit you have committed to play. Anyone opting out has already been replaced in practice.

Are you crazy!? Opt out and miss an opportunity to visit....PHOENIX!? In a state where "God Enriches"?

The coaches for certain know now if anyone is opting out. If you are practicing with first or even second unit you have committed to play. Anyone opting out has already been replaced in practice.

Yeah but who knows who is actually practicing? I don't think media has been allowed.

Anyway, hopefully everyone is actually playing. That would be awesome!

Yeah but who knows who is actually practicing? I don't think media has been allowed.

Obviously they could be keeping things under wraps but i seems like in general bowl game opt outs tend to be pretty common knowledge most places so if we do have some it will be a bit surprising.

It doesn't matter what the media knows. The coaches know and they are preparing accordingly for the game.

Are you crazy!? Opt out and miss an opportunity to visit....PHOENIX!? In a state where "God Enriches"?
I sense much sarcasm in your post! Besides Tampa Bay and Vegas, Phoenix is as good as you can ask for in terms of things to do, especially if you like to golf!

I sense much sarcasm in your post! Besides Tampa Bay and Vegas, Phoenix is as good as you can ask for in terms of things to do, especially if you like to golf!
Outside of golf Phoenix is pretty boring for a city it's size. BUT Sedona-Flagstaff-Grand Canyon areas are amazing!!!

What is it like living in Phoenix?

when you consider that the Gophers don't even put out an official "two-deep" roster before games, I think the only way to know for sure who is playing in the bowl game is to wait for the pre-game show on the radio.

Outside of golf Phoenix is pretty boring for a city it's size. BUT Sedona-Flagstaff-Grand Canyon areas are amazing!!!
It does have a disproportionate number of attractive women.

Agree. Phoenix has no big draw and has no
Hiking, rent UTV and see the awesome desert scenery. Jerome/Cottonwood/Sedona area are fun places to visit and just 2.0 hours north of Phoenix. Day trip to Payson has good scenery also. Tuscon is just 2 hours south and lots of things to see and do there.

On the radio show today PJ said there are no players opting out for the bowl game.

Top Bottom