HardwoodElite: Just caught up with Andre Hollins

Would be a great addition to the program. Like that he has a reasonable timeline for a decision.

Probably my maroon colored glasses, but I would pick Minnesota from that list.

1. Minnesota. Tubby, strong basketball program, excellent academics, Austin Hollins, PT at PG
2. Mississippi - good school, IMO not in the same league for academics
3. Auburn - good school, new coach, not a tradional basketball powerhouse
4. Stanford - excellent academics, not as strong on basketball, EE picked MN over Stanford
5. Harvard - top academics, weak basketball, very different environment

IMO, Gophers have a good chance with Andre.

The few highlights I've seen of the kid make it seem like he's insanely athletic. Kind of like a 6'2 Rodney.

cheered for him n shook his hand at the "football game" today. he seemed to be enjoying himself very much and said his visit was going great and he really liked what he has seen in minnesota.

I would think Stanford's going to be the biggest challenger for Hollins' services-top notch academic institution, major conference, recent history of some success. Unlike Eliason, Minnesota doesn't have the advantage of the regional ties over Stanford either.

That being said, I'm really glad Minnesota's in the mix for Hollins, it obviously speaks highly of Tubby's reputation. Seeing as the competition is relatively local SEC schools and the two most competitive universities in the U.S. to gain entrance, for Minnesota to be included in the mix is quite impressive.

I think Stanford will be a sleeper. They have a nice recruiting class this year (ranked to 20) which is heavy on bigs. Good talent, great weather, awesome school.

Hopefully Tubby can lock him down soon.

I think Stanford will be a sleeper. They have a nice recruiting class this year (ranked to 20) which is heavy on bigs. Good talent, great weather, awesome school.

Hopefully Tubby can lock him down soon.

Quote from Hollins in the article, which is nice to read.

"I look for academics, relationship with the head coach and players, playing time opportunities, and location doesn't matter. As long as I find the place that fits me perfectly, location doesn't matter."

Not because I don't think that we can compete with Standford's location, but it really shows a lot when a kid's criteria is simply finding somewhere with good academics and a good environment, and not just going for the beaches and sun.

I would think Stanford's going to be the biggest challenger for Hollins' services-top notch academic institution, major conference, recent history of some success. Unlike Eliason, Minnesota doesn't have the advantage of the regional ties over Stanford either.

That being said, I'm really glad Minnesota's in the mix for Hollins, it obviously speaks highly of Tubby's reputation. Seeing as the competition is relatively local SEC schools and the two most competitive universities in the U.S. to gain entrance, for Minnesota to be included in the mix is quite impressive.

Agree, Stanford is likely biggest challenger.

I think Austin may help swing the selection toward Minnesota. These guys are really young. Moving far from home. It is important to have someone you can talk to (realize they are not really friends - but understand they have been talking about Minnesota).

Also, would think the parents would prefer to have Tubby watching out for their son.

For someone who may follow basketball recruiting and the game in general more than me, is Hollins someone who would be capable of running the point position as he says he is working on that aspect of his game? Also, If we came out with Coleman and Hollins rather than Coleman and Oglesby or Tharpe would we be in bad shape?

For someone who may follow basketball recruiting and the game in general more than me, is Hollins someone who would be capable of running the point position as he says he is working on that aspect of his game? Also, If we came out with Coleman and Hollins rather than Coleman and Oglesby or Tharpe would we be in bad shape?

Yes - the articles I've read generally say that Andre Hollins can play 1 or 2 positions.

Just watched some highlights and interviews on youtube of Andre. Looks like a kid any coach would want. He can't stop smiling. The way he attacks the basket reminds me of a Lawrence Westbrook/Eric Gordon type of player. Appears he can play some 1 but more of a combo guard. Hope there's room for Joe, Andre and Naadir!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydnggZdrFTk&feature=related

Thanks for the video. Andre likely did not get to play much PG due to Joe Jackson (#1 in the video). J.J. will be a freshman at Memphis this year.

Andre seems athletic, good ball handler, can finish at the rim, high BB IQ. Don't see why he can't play PG.

Top Bottom