Hard hit brings halt to Gophers spring football practice and a lesson from P.J. Fleck

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Randy:

Daniel Jackson sped down the field, timed his jump and hauled in a long pass from Athan Kaliakmanis. Just after the ball found Jackson's hands, Tyler Nubin swooped in and laid a big hit on the wide receiver, who hung onto the ball.

The hit would have been legal in, say, 1993, but since it's 2023 — and terms such as "defenseless receiver" and "targeting" have become commonplace — Gophers football coach P.J. Fleck stopped Tuesday's spring practice at the team's indoor facility for a teachable moment.

"I want them to understand how that affects the game," Fleck said. "… I want them to always see that there's something that's close, penalty-wise, I want to make sure that doesn't get overlooked."

Go Gophers!!

Excellent teachable moment. You never know what the official is going to do in addition to protecting your teammate.

Got quiet as a church mouse when he stopped practice. Fleck said something to the effect of liking the intensity, but that it needs to be in control. The guy's practices are extrememly well run and efficient. He even was playing some classic jazz at the beginning!

Did fleck also say anything about Ohio state, Michigan and/or Penn state DBs never being called for those types of hits. I'm thinking Jackson was the receiver who was drilled in the opener two years ago by an Ohio state DB, and the resulting loose ball was declared a fumble, and Ohio state scored on the possession to kill any chance of an upset by Gophs.

Did fleck also say anything about Ohio state, Michigan and/or Penn state DBs never being called for those types of hits. I'm thinking Jackson was the receiver who was drilled in the opener two years ago by an Ohio state DB, and the resulting loose ball was declared a fumble, and Ohio state scored on the possession to kill any chance of an upset by Gophs.
It was MBS you are thinking about who took the hit versus OSU

Top Bottom