Happy John Candy Day!

Ope3

Reaction score
Toronto has declared today as John Candy Day in honor of what would be his 70th birthday. It should be celebrated everywhere.

6 Favorite SCTV Characters

1. Johnny LaRue - The quintessential SCTV character of his, IMO
2. Stephan Seely - Preteen World was always hilarious
3. Tommy Shanks - The Mayor of Mellonville
4. William B Williams - Best sideman in the biz
5. Guy who wore "5" on his sweater in 5 Neat Guys - Dead ringer for my Uncle Ed, "Who Made the Egg Salad Sandwiches?"
6. Dr William Wainwright - "You drive a hard bargain, Rocco"

6 Favorite Movie Roles

1. Dewey Oxberger / Stripes - The Ox steals the scene every time he's on the screen. Just getting his hair buzzed was a riot.
2. Freddie Bauer / Splash - Playing raquet ball, pounding smokes with a cooler beer.
3. Del Griffith / Planes, Trains and Automobiles - So many golden scenes but the best is when they get pulled over on the highway in the burned out car. "AM radio works, clear as a bell!"
4. Dean Andrews / JFK - Just fun to see him in an Oliver Stone movie
5. Tom Tuttle / Volunteers - "Tom Tuttle from Tacoma, Washington". I thought Hanks & Candy would become the Hope & Crosby for my generation.
6. Lasky / Vacation - Parks Closed.

Big fan of Candy as Divine as Peter Pan. Harry, the owner of Harry's Sex Shop also a good one.

world needs more John Candys

I remember that famous story in the 49ers first Super Bowl win with Montana at the helm and they were nervous as heck since they were losing to Cincy 16-13 with under two minutes left. Montana comes into the huddle and points into the stands and shows the team where John Candy is sitting, they all laugh and relax and drive down the field for the game winning TC, 20-16 win.

I actually went into a theater this weekend to see Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I don't think I have seen it in well over 20 yrs. It holds up.

Neal Page's rant in the rental car agency should have got Steve Martin an Oscar nomination, in my opinion. It was as good as the Jerry Burns press conference when he defended Schnelker.

I actually went into a theater this weekend to see Planes, Trains and Automobiles. I don't think I have seen it in well over 20 yrs. It holds up.

Neal Page's rant in the rental car agency should have got Steve Martin an Oscar nomination, in my opinion. It was as good as the Jerry Burns press conference when he defended Schnelker.
Those aren’t pillows.

I know I bought a Tubes cassette after their visit to the Scuttlebutt Lodge.

I persuaded my 8th grade English teacher to play this song, he had no idea of what it was, after listening to his classical music seemingly everyday during our writing module. I cranked it to ten and he about shite his pants while the class did a poor imitation of Footloose.

I persuaded my 8th grade English teacher to play this song, he had no idea of what it was, after listening to his classical music seemingly everyday during our writing module. I cranked it to ten and he about shite his pants while the class did a poor imitation of Footloose.

Wow! That was fun. Thank you. I had no idea Joe Satriani's guitar coach was in there. Joking, but that guy is damn good.

Wow! That was fun. Thank you. I had no idea Joe Satriani's guitar coach was in there. Joking, but that guy is damn good.
Incredibly underrated band from that era, but then again there were so many fox ones as well.

Incredibly underrated band from that era, but then again there were so many fox ones as well.
These were the two greatest bands of all-time. Right after the Beatles of course.

Five Neat Guys
5_Neat_Guys_SCTV.png

The Queen Haters.

lqmFe05KsiVHOeT7.jpg:large

These were the two greatest bands of all-time. Right after the Beatles of course.

Five Neat Guys
5_Neat_Guys_SCTV.png

The Queen Haters.

lqmFe05KsiVHOeT7.jpg:large
You left out The Recess Monkeys. The drummer looks related to the one from the Queen Haters.

You left out The Recess Monkeys. The drummer looks related to the one from the Queen Haters.

Omg! I completely forgot about them. Catherine in a skirt to boot!

The Second City Toronto cast minus Joe Flaherty. The only American in the original cast up there. Whole bunch of talent in that picture.
I didn't know Joe was from Pittsburgh. I always assumed he was Canadian.

Catherine O'hara was also in the Toronto troupe, about the time of the photo was taken. Quite a run with Gene, nearly 50 years (so far).

Okay, looked it up. SCTV was one of my favorite shows and have been to Second City Chicago 3 times and Second City Las Vegas once.

And yet I got some things wrong.:LOL:

Toronto (1973-present)[edit]​

Bump for the Anniversary of John Candy day tomorrow (Monday).

When I posted the previous Second City Theater photo, I was actually looking for this one, but thought the other was better.

This ain't bad though.

popup.jpg

In honor of this former Bay Leaves great a new avatar through the duration of the Stanley Cup.

image000000_06.jpg

"Splash" introduced most of the world to John Candy, Tom Hanks and Eugene Levy. I'd say the casting director earned their money for that film.

Top Bottom