Happy Birthday to #Gophers legend Antoine Winfield Jr. Who remembers his game winning interception in OT at Fresno State?!

The one the next year was even more impressive.

This was the second game against Fresno. The other was at home in 2018.

And I’ll disagree. He peeled off the guy running in the middle of the field and intercepted this pass on instinct. This was a wide open receiver without him making this insane read. The other one he misread a trick play and had to recover. Both incredible game sealing plays.

This was the second game against Fresno. The other was at home in 2018.

And I’ll disagree. He peeled off the guy running in the middle of the field and intercepted this pass on instinct. This was a wide open receiver without him making this insane read. The other one he misread a trick play and had to recover. Both incredible game sealing plays.
Still think the first one is better, second one was a bad camera angle but both great plays.

I was sitting row 1 10yard line on the gophers side. What a swing of emotion in a couple of seconds. It went from "not again" to "whaaat just happened!" I think that singular play changed the trajectory of the program. Even the best Mason and Kill teams alsways found new and painful ways to lose. It certainly changed my attitude towards Gopher football.

Great game and atmosphere that night.

Start at about 2:08
Yes this is the first one in 2018 and the better play than the one at Fresno in 2019. This is such a phenomenal play versus basically playing center field and Fresno qb getting greedy first play in ot. Both great plays but never seen anything like the one hander and keep feet in bounds after a great recovery.

Yes this is the first one in 2018 and the better play than the one at Fresno in 2019. This is such a phenomenal play versus basically playing center field and Fresno qb getting greedy first play in ot. Both great plays but never seen anything like the one hander and keep feet in bounds after a great recovery.
Funny thing is that TE beat AWjr earlier in the highlights for their first TD.

Funny thing is that TE beat AWjr earlier in the highlights for their first TD.
I did not realize that but was at game. Receiver took a tad long to throw it and then floated it. Pretty sure Fresno would have gone for two had they converted.

Great video, it still looks like we should have lost on that play.
I must have seen that play 50 times over the years. I don't know if it's the checkerboard end zone or the gold and white uniforms, but it still looks to me like he just materializes in time to make the play.

I must have seen that play 50 times over the years. I don't know if it's the checkerboard end zone or the gold and white uniforms, but it still looks to me like he just materializes in time to make the play.
He baited him. The QB took the bait.

He baited him. The QB took the bait.
Except it was a RB on an end around. That was Winfield's assignment. The RB set up to pass and Winfield made an absolutely unbelievable near one of a kind adjustment.

Know your facts. This was a top-10 defensive play.

Except it was a RB on an end around. That was Winfield's assignment. The RB set up to pass and Winfield made an absolutely unbelievable near one of a kind adjustment.

Know your facts. This was a top-10 defensive play.
Misunderstanding. The play I was refering to was at Fresno State (The first Video/ end of second OT*Note: Fresno State has a "checkerboard endzone". Reyna (QB) locked on what appeared to be a wide open WR. The ball floated Winfield broke on the ball when it left the QB's hand.

If I understand correctly, you were refering to the game in Minneapolis where the RB pulled up and threw to the TE and Winfield adjusted and made a fantastic play intercepting the pass.

Winfields take (Cover two variation) at Fresno State.

Cheers!

Both great plays, but the 2018 was really something special. It was a running back throwing it and it was a dying quail, but Winfield's recovery on the ball and ability to track it and then catch it made this one of the best defensive plays by a Gopher I've ever seen.

Top Bottom