Halloween vs. MSU

mplsbadger

Reaction score
I apoligize if this has been discussed, but what are people planning for the Halloween game on 10/31/09 @ 7:00 p.m. against Michigan State? I checked and sunset is estimated at 6:02 p.m. that day.

I don't have kids, buy my wife is bummed about missing the chance to give out candy to the neighborhood kids. My father, who has the two seats next to me nearly always goes to see his grandkids on Halloween. It may be me and three childless buddies tailgating and attending the game (get the cab money ready!).

I don't suppose there will be anything at the game (trick or treating in the tailgate lots :)?

Your thoughts?

I haven't seen any plans, but I am sure that they will have something going on for the kids--games, trick-or-treating, costume contest, etc.

I apoligize if this has been discussed, but what are people planning for the Halloween game on 10/31/09 @ 7:00 p.m. against Michigan State? I checked and sunset is estimated at 6:02 p.m. that day.

I don't have kids, buy my wife is bummed about missing the chance to give out candy to the neighborhood kids. My father, who has the two seats next to me nearly always goes to see his grandkids on Halloween. It may be me and three childless buddies tailgating and attending the game (get the cab money ready!).

I don't suppose there will be anything at the game (trick or treating in the tailgate lots :)?

Your thoughts?

Well, I'm hoping that Jay Thomas' family will be doing their Thomas Town tailgate again this season for Gopher parents/kids. Not my thing since the missus and I have no rugrats, but those with families said it was a real fun place to stop by. I'm thinking you'd want to make it stop #1.

Also I'd say keep asking about that game once the season starts. I'm sure some GH'ers will be bringing candy to share (my group included) and should be able to warn you in case the residents of their lot tend to get rowdy.

I have 2 kids (ages 5 & 3). I haven't decided what I'm going to do yet.

This is likely something you're just going to have to wait on for several months. Considering everything that's going into preparing for the first game against AFA, I doubt the U will do much, if any, planning around the Halloween night game until that first hurdle is cleared. If they announce definitive plans for activities specifically for the Halloween game by the end of September, I'd be mildly surprised.

All that said, I would expect some things will be planned that are family-friendly to embrace trick-or-treating and other Halloween traditions.

I would put my money on a lot of tailgaters having candy. A swing through the East Bank lots could probably get you a bag full.

Last year our HS football team was in the section championship game on Friday night Halloween at 7pm. It actually went really well and was no problem. A number of people hosted a "Trick or Trunk" out of their trunks before the game at the stadium for the kids to go to. The student section got into it big time as the HS kids dressed in all black (not normally our school colors) and wore those cheap white "Freddie" masks (there were about 80 of them I guess) for Halloween. The pep band and even the PA at the stadium played some "monster-type" songs and Thriller and stuff and it was all good.

I'm thinking a mix of these special "activities" could make it an awesome Halloween night at the stadium:

- Trick or treat events for little costumed kids (lots of Gopher or football related costumes)
- Special show and music for Halloween by the band (think of what they could do with costumes and masks!)
- Some "Halloween" music or videos from the PA and scoreboard (hopefully not much though...focus on the band...it is a college game!)
- Needless to say: Lots of fun and interesting costumes in the student section that will be especially "festive" that night!
- A good game that's a WIN so that the entire student section and most of the adults don't leave by 8:30 to get to the parties!

I'm pumped for this game. It could really, really be fun! I hope parents with small kids will find a way to celebrate Halloween while not missing the game or selling their tickets to MSU fans.

I was bummed when I saw the start time for October 31. I've got three kids in prime trick-or-treating ages. There is an outside chance that we'd all go to the game if the activities are big enough of a draw. But, we live in a great neighborhood for halloween so my guess at this point is my wife will handle Halloween while I bring friends to the Gopher game. I'm bummed because I always enjoy Halloween around the house too. Someone on our street usually gets a fire pit going after the kids are in bed so I will probably still be able to participate in that. Overall though, it is the only game I'd rather see played at that 11:00 AM start time.

Can't wait for this game, it has the potential for a very cool atmosphere, tailgaters could really play it up with dry ice, halloween themed decor, music, food, and of course costumes, maybe go with a ghost of gopher past deal Bronko Nagurski, Bruce Smith, etc. maybe throw in a few signs with reminders of past MSU icons they'd just as soon forget to rib the visiting fans (plaxico burress comes to mind)

Minnesota-Meechigan 1903....

.....was played on Halloween Day. LOTS of partying that night after the 6-6
tie that brough us the Little Brown Jug tradition.

You never know just what might happen.........:D

Personally, I expect a WILD atmosphere and won't be bringing my 4-year old to the game (he'll go to most of the others), especially considering I have seats in close proximity to the student section. For us adults, it should be a blast.

I don't get why people are so bummed about it. Halloween won't be on a Saturday for at least another 6 or 7 years, and you can do traditional Halloween stuff every year in between. The game will probably have plenty of Halloween activities and its something different. If its that serious send the kids trick or treating with grandparents or a school friend's family. Personally I think 1 game on Halloween in a new stadium for one of the very few home night games would excite me way more than missing a Halloween night would bum me out.

I don't get why people are so bummed about it. Halloween won't be on a Saturday for at least another 6 or 7 years, and you can do traditional Halloween stuff every year in between. The game will probably have plenty of Halloween activities and its something different. If its that serious send the kids trick or treating with grandparents or a school friend's family. Personally I think 1 game on Halloween in a new stadium for one of the very few home night games would excite me way more than missing a Halloween night would bum me out.

Don't get me wrong... I will be there. But, having Halloween on a Saturday is exactly why I am a bit bummed out. The kids can stay up later, and all the traditional activities at home will also stretch later into the night. I enjoy those traditional neighborhood things and now I'll be missing most of it.

But, let me repeat... I WILL BE AT THE GAME. I wouldn't miss it.

Just remember that your kids are only trick or treating age about 7-8 years of their life. I could easily have my kids go trick or treating with someone else but that would be 1 less year that I can take them and experience it with them.

I'm not complaining. Just stating a fact.

I dont get into the whole Halloween thing but I am torn as I do enjoy taking my 5 year old daughter out. Growing up it wasnt much for me due to it was my mom's birthday and also my younger brother's birthday.

My younger brother is turning 21 this year so I was going to take him out to get his first legal barley soda and the possibly take him to that game as well. Such decisions.

Darn, I guess Minnesota students will have to bypass the tradition of starting riots in Madison on Halloween this year....

Top Bottom