Hall of Fame post on the Iowa board

maroonfive

Reaction score
I know we have enough to worry about and the Big Ten struggled yesterday but there was a posting for the ages on the Iowa board.
Someone actually posted with a straight face and maybe they were drunk but they wanted to know if their close game with Northern Iowa would have an effect on their chances for the national championship!!!!!!!!

H E L L O !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know we have enough to worry about and the Big Ten struggled yesterday but there was a posting for the ages on the Iowa board.
Someone actually posted with a straight face and maybe they were drunk but they wanted to know if their close game with Northern Iowa would have an effect on their chances for the national championship!!!!!!!!

Iowa fans have got to be the most self-deceived, exaggerating dumbsh*ts in all of college football. In the gameday thread yesterday, one of them actually suggested that Iowa's win Saturday was bigger than Minnesota's because Iowa beat "the better team." We are talking about Iowa nearly losing at home to a Division II school, while the Gophers beat a BCS school on the road. Unbelievable. I think to some degree, Iowans have to lie to themselves to dull the horrid reality of being from Iowa.

i've said it before, the most disgusting fan base in sports. these people are so disillusioned you almost feel bad for them. i'm pretty sure every person from the state of iowa living in the metro area has a massive hawkeye sticker on their vehicle so feel free to drop them the bird, let them know how inferior they are in all respects.

There is dreaming, optimism, and reality

As a diehard Gopher fan I know that winning a national championship is out of reach. That doesn't mean it won't happen someday. You have to be good and lucky to win the national championship. That would be a dream come true.
I am also a realist and I know that my dreams would come true if the Gophers could win the Big Ten 2 or 3 times a decade, go to the Rose Bowl, and a couple of other January 1st Bowls. That would be my reality and make me very very happy. To think how far we have come now I still can't believe that TCF Bank Stadium got built and how fun Saturday is going to be.

"To win the Rose Bowl, win the Mens Division 1 NCAA Championship in basketball, win the Mens NCAA Division 1 Championship in Hockey, and go to the College World Series in baseball would be like one giant orgasm"

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Another parallel would be a supposedly "solid offensive line" that didn't play well.

Your opinion that it was an idiotic, delusional quote was shared by virtually everyone on the Iowa Rivals board who responded to it. See for yourself if you wish. Arnold's Park, the poster, is an amusement park at Lake Okiboji, after all, and I enjoyed the fun house and other illusions there as a kid from just across the Minnesota border.

Iowa fans have got to be the most self-deceived, exaggerating dumbsh*ts in all of college football. In the gameday thread yesterday, one of them actually suggested that Iowa's win Saturday was bigger than Minnesota's because Iowa beat "the better team." We are talking about Iowa nearly losing at home to a Division II school, while the Gophers beat a BCS school on the road. Unbelievable. I think to some degree, Iowans have to lie to themselves to dull the horrid reality of being from Iowa.

I agree Iowa fans are delusional, but Northern Iowa isn't DII. They are in the same conference that North Dakota State is in, so I think its safe to say there are some decent football teams in that league. Again, I'm agreeing beating a Big East team in their stadium is better than beating an FCS team at home, but I wouldn't just totally dismiss N. Iowa. I think they beat a big 12 team either last year or the year before...

Iowa sucks they can barely beat a D-3 team..

I agree Iowa fans are delusional, but Northern Iowa isn't DII. They are in the same conference that North Dakota State is in, so I think its safe to say there are some decent football teams in that league. Again, I'm agreeing beating a Big East team in their stadium is better than beating an FCS team at home, but I wouldn't just totally dismiss N. Iowa. I think they beat a big 12 team either last year or the year before...

I agree with you that beating a Big East team on the road is better than beating (barely) an FCS team at home. I also agree with you that UNI shouldn't be totally dismissed. They finished last year rated around 20 spots higher (by Sagarin) than Syracuse and Northern Illinois (Wisconsin's opponent). They then returned a very veteran team with seniors across the OL, DL, LB and QB positions. Per the BTN crew announcing the game, the Iowa staff felt (before the game) that UNI's offense would be in the top 5 in the B10, and Norm Parker (former Gopher DC, no?) was on record as stating that UNI's offense was the most complex he had faced in his 40 years of coaching.

None of that means that Iowa shouldn't have played much better, or that winning at home by one point against UNI isn't a sign of trouble (it could very well be). UNI is just a lot better than people want to give them credit for. They are one of the top tier of FCS schools IMO.

:pig:

Congrats on the OT win on the road btw. Winning on the road is always tough.

i've said it before, the most disgusting fan base in sports. these people are so disillusioned you almost feel bad for them. i'm pretty sure every person from the state of iowa living in the metro area has a massive hawkeye sticker on their vehicle so feel free to drop them the bird, let them know how inferior they are in all respects.

Not EVERY person. I don't have any stickers of any variety on my vehicle. To flip me the bird, you should probably start flipping off random un-stickered vehicles for the next few months. One of them will most likely be me.

He will find plenty of stickers

I would never flip anyone off but he will have no trouble finding people with stickers to flip off. There are enough of those lopsided goofy W's on cars around town. What is that horrible bird logo thing that Iowa has going?
That is ugly!!!!!!!!

Go Gophers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Just Remembered This..

Not so outrageous anymore.

The streak will end as I am a Cooler.

I thought about that post a couple of weeks ago as well. So far no one has flipped me the bird for no reason.

Although I despise Wisconsin I just do not feel the hate for Iowa. Maybe its because of the good memories at Okoboji. I will cheer for them in any bowl game they play. However I would relish a Gopher upset.

Top Bottom