Hall of Fame coach John Madden dies

Ogee Oglethorpe

Over Macho Grande?
Reaction score
Was just going to post this also. Wow. One of the all-time icons in American sports in our lifetimes. And he passes just 3 days after his "All Madden" documentary aired on Christmas Day, which I still need to watch after recording it.

RIP Big John.

Ope3

Reaction score
A Turducken Drumstick salute to Coach Madden. The Summerall/Madden broadcast tandem is one of my All Time NFL favorites.

Last edited:

Gopher_In_NYC

Reaction score
A Turducken Drumstick salute to Coach Madden. The Summerall/Madden broadcast tandem is one of my All Time NFL favorites.
Like they were talking directly to u - legends both

short ornery norwegian

Reaction score
Wasn't Summerall drunk for all his telecasts?

From what I hear, that was Howard Cosell. Reusse tells a story about seeing Cosell about 2 hours before a game, and Cosell was already in the bag.

on Madden, a lot of younger people know him only as a TV commentator or for the video game.
As an NFL head coach, he had one of the highest winning percentages of all time - albeit in a relatively short career.

10 seasons with a .759 regular-season winning percentage. Although only 9-7 in playoff games.

and - he was 34 years old when he was hired as Head Coach.

Ope3

Reaction score
From what I hear, that was Howard Cosell. Reusse tells a story about seeing Cosell about 2 hours before a game, and Cosell was already in the bag.

on Madden, a lot of younger people know him only as a TV commentator or for the video game.
As an NFL head coach, he had one of the highest winning percentages of all time - albeit in a relatively short career.

10 seasons with a .759 regular-season winning percentage. Although only 9-7 in playoff games.

and - he was 34 years old when he was hired as Head Coach.
I am guessing there might have been a time or two when Summerall was paired Tom Brookshier that at the very least he was feeling effects from the night before.

Top Bottom