Half time adjustments (lack thereof)

Why did the UM admin change their attitude toward athletics in 1961?
That was when the regents felt that college athletics were getting out of hand, and decided to take a stand.

It also was when big time professional sports became a thing in the Twin Cities with the Vikings and the Twins (the Lakers left in 1960, but the NBA was not a major sport nationally at that time) and the power brokers and money that had been invested in the Gophers had new playthings to promote and support.

You can decide for yourself if this was just two random events or if there might have been a connection. I was not alive at the time and didn't move to Minnesota until 1987 so, I have heard a lot if stories and insinuations the are related, but don't know the details.

Regardless, competition for the entertainment spending and the allure of professional sports impacted the Gophers standing in the community at a time the U tried to make a stand that college sports had lost their way and de-emphasized the focus on sports up until that time.

Last edited:

One of the better DC's we had when it came to making adjustments was Tracey Claeys. When we were struggling defensively in the first half of a game, I would tell myself that if we can just get this thing to halftime and still be in it, Claeys would have the fix. And he usually did. I have not had that type of confidence in our DCs since.
Agree.

It’s unusual to see such a competitive game going into halftime then an absolute blowout on both sides of the ball in the second half. Iowa clearly made halftime adjustments which we were not able to counter. Very disappointing to see such a good defense get absolutely torched on the ground.

What are everyone’s productive thoughts? Why do we continually struggle to play chess after halftime adjustments against competitive teams?
We were winning so they didn't adjust.

I doubt PJ is very good at chess.

That was when the regents felt that college athletics were getting out of hand, and decided to take a stand.

It also was when big time professional sports became a thing in the Twin Cities with the Vikings and the Twins (the Lakers left in 1960, but the NBA was not a major sport nationally at that time) and the power brokers and money that had been invested in the Gophers had new playthings to promote and support.

You can decide for yourself if this was just two random events or if there might have been a connection. I was not alive at the time and didn't move to Minnesota until 1987 so, I have heard a lot if stories and insinuations the are related, but don't know the details.

Regardless, competition for the entertainment spending and the allure of professional sports impacted the Gophers standing in the community at a time the U tried to make a stand that college sports had lost their way and de-emphasized the focus on sports up until that time.
I completely agree with you. Soon after the Vikings came to MN, media and fan attention shifted from the Gophers to them. I suspect as you suggest that the U decided to limit their support for UM football. By the late 60s the Vikings were in the SB and the Gophers were an afterthought to non alums when once they had been the state's darling. This put the Vikings on the front page and the Gophers tepidly covered. Top recruits want to be BMOCs like in Madison, Iowa City, Lincoln and so many other college towns. I saw the transition as you can tell from my username. Thanks for your comments.

When the de-emphasis movement of the 1950s produced the Ivy League (and caused some schools to quit the sport), there were many at the U who thought Minnesota should follow suit. There were still those wanting to win at the highest level, but it was like dragging a tire. Finally, some of the de-emphasis people attained the highest offices at the U and set the school back just enough to where they have been playing catch up ever since.

Top Bottom