HAHA! Typical Fat Pat....

WriterGoph

Reaction score
Unreal. This guy continues to amaze me with how he can find something negative to write about our Gophs ALL THE TIME. Usually he reserves this kind of babyish drivel for Brewster and our football program, so he must be really pissed off that he may have to write something positive down the stretch.

Still though, I can't believe he managed to give us NO CREDIT after this win tonight. He attributes it all too Sconny being bad and us playing in a horrible league.

http://www.startribune.com/sports/40758882.html?elr=KArksi8cyaiUo8cyaiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aUU

At least I can sleep well tonight knowing that Patty is lonely, fat and very cranky tonight!

Idiot

Nobody can argue that Minnesota's offense is terrible, ugly and tough to watch. But where Pat is wrong is saying Wisconsin just gave the game to the Gophers. This is a team that plays DEFENSE.

Only once this entire season have the Gophers given up 75 points - and that was in a win vs NDSU.

You have to credit Tubby on the way he coaches defense. This is a team that has proven they can get stops when they need to - and the defense is even more impressive when you factor in that the offense can hardly ever score.

Does he aspire to be a theatre critic, or something? He sounds like he just watched a bad off-Broadway musical.

I was also under the impression that the Big Ten got its "bloated" RPI by performing pretty well against other leagues in the non-conference. Am I wrong in thinking this?

Man, it would be great to have somebody ... ANYBODY ... who could hit an open jumper. And when was the last time a Gopher actually drove into the paint and ... passed the ball off?

OK, enough nitpicking. GO GOPHERS!

I don't think it does justice to Pat's lack of creativity and laziness and bitterness to always comment on his massive girth. We all get that. What is sad and frustrating for the people who pay for his product is that they are losing out on what was once a creative and talented writer, who is now bitter and way past his prime. His piece this morning is laughable and is a direct reflection on the laziness of the newspaper industry. Pat is beyond his prime and we are all suffering as a result.

I don't think it does justice to Pat's lack of creativity and laziness and bitterness to always comment on his massive girth. We all get that. What is sad and frustrating for the people who pay for his product is that they are losing out on what was once a creative and talented writer, who is now bitter and way past his prime. His piece this morning is laughable and is a direct reflection on the laziness of the newspaper industry. Pat is beyond his prime and we are all suffering as a result.

Stan is suffering because Ruesse is past his prime. :D

That certainly leads to other questions.....

In Reusse's defense

I'm pretty sure Patrick left at halftime, so I'm guessing the column would've been a bit more positive had he been there at the end rather than watching on TV--the game was fun because of the atmosphere and the result, not because of the quality of the play. The game was not a great display of offensive basketball. We can talk about Big Ten defense all we want, but good basketball players can make an occassional shot. It's going to be tough for me to purge my memory of the two missed dunks we had in the first half.

If the 09-10 class is as good as is reported, I'm expecting to see much, much better basketball in the barn next year.

I'm pretty sure Patrick left at halftime, so I'm guessing the column would've been a bit more positive had he been there at the end rather than watching on TV--the game was fun because of the atmosphere and the result, not because of the quality of the play. The game was not a great display of offensive basketball. We can talk about Big Ten defense all we want, but good basketball players can make an occassional shot. It's going to be tough for me to purge my memory of the two missed dunks we had in the first half.

If the 09-10 class is as good as is reported, I'm expecting to see much, much better basketball in the barn next year.

Perfectly stated. We liked the result.

What a pathetic excuse for an article. It could be argued that this is the biggest win in the barn in over a decade and this is what we get. The Big Ten may not be pretty, but that was an intense game last night. It was filled with great defense. And look at all the huge nonconference wins the BT had this year. Apparently none of those count anymore because the conference games aren't high-scoring enough.

And Myron's was also dripping with negativity. By all accounts on here, the Barn was rocking and there wasn't that much red, but our beat reporter had to point out how much of the noise was due to Wisconsin fans. These guys really suck at their jobs.

"The Big Ten has spent more than two months providing a level of offensive basketball worse than anything seen in this conference in decades. The Gophers have contributed to this by failing to reach 60 points five times in their past nine games."

Could this not be attributed to the quality of defense in the Big Ten? Last night Marquette and Pitt scored a total of 79 points in the first half alone. Why does no one argue that they play ugly defense?

I would rather watch a hard fought defensive battle (like the Illinois game) then a scorefest. They are not as exciting to watch. Scoring gets old after a while, blocks, steals and blood never get old.

Pat would much rather see a Big East type game...run and gun. He is right, the Gophers do have a pretty ugly offense, but not to give praise to a GREAT defense is too bad.

Royce is an alcoholic, and as the years have passed he has gotten more and more cynical and depressed.

The Big Ten has been about defense for quite some time now. Even in tournament play, games with BT teams in it usually play a low scoring affair. Last night the gopher defense was in lock down mode. They were excellent no matter how bad Wisky is, or what Ruesse says.
I will agree with him though that the Big Ten is very offensively challenged this year. But one quote I don't get, he says something about not one NBA talent in the conference? I highly doubt that. There are not any real impressive players, but I will bet more than one player will be in the NBA in years to come. Harris from Mighigan comes to mind. That guy is one of the smoothest and most athletic players I have seen.

What a pathetic excuse for an article. It could be argued that this is the biggest win in the barn in over a decade and this is what we get. The Big Ten may not be pretty, but that was an intense game last night. It was filled with great defense. And look at all the huge nonconference wins the BT had this year. Apparently none of those count anymore because the conference games aren't high-scoring enough.

And Myron's was also dripping with negativity. By all accounts on here, the Barn was rocking and there wasn't that much red, but our beat reporter had to point out how much of the noise was due to Wisconsin fans. These guys really suck at their jobs.

Sorry, there was more red in the building than there should have been (probably 1000-1500). And they were noisy.

Reusse is right on. A great outcome but an ugly performance. For all of the talk about the gopher defense, the only open shots all night were provided to Wisconsin. Landry had several wide open looks from the perimeter and hit most of them. I disagree with Reusse on the Krabbenhoft foul but the refs missed a crucial out of bounds call (in favor of the gophers) with under a minute left and the foul called when Westbrook drove to the basket with 29 seconds left that resulted in two free throws and a gopher 1 pt lead was questionable.

The best night in years at the barn, but Reusse's observations about the B10 and the game were valid.

Sorry, there was more red in the building than there should have been (probably 1000-1500). And they were noisy.

Reusse is right on. A great outcome but an ugly performance. For all of the talk about the gopher defense, the only open shots all night were provided to Wisconsin. Landry had several wide open looks from the perimeter and hit most of them. I disagree with Reusse on the Krabbenhoft foul but the refs missed a crucial out of bounds call (in favor of the gophers) with under a minute left and the foul called when Westbrook drove to the basket with 29 seconds left that resulted in two free throws and a gopher 1 pt lead was questionable.

The best night in years at the barn, but Reusse's observations about the B10 and the game were valid.

I didn't find the game very ugly. I called it extremely intense and hard-fought. I've seen ugly before. We can argue about calls all day on both sides. It's pointless. How about the three-point play they took from Westbrook on an obviously terrible charge call?

Valid or not, it's how you look at things. Reusse, as usual, chose to write a negative article that gave no credit whatsoever to our team for winning an absolutely huge must-win game. I think that is pathetic. It also would be vaild to point out how great a win it was and how great a comeback it was, how intense the play was, how we dominated the inside, how the Big Ten, ugly or not, has a lot of good teams that have won huge games all year in and out of the conference. But Reusse doesn't work that way. He chooses to be cynical. For some reason you like that and continually defend him. Sorry, I don't. I choose to look at the game as the great win it was.

When we win a game I had given up on (down 46-41), that we absolutely had to have, I think that's pretty great, and a beautiful sight at that.

You can have Reusse and his "valid" points.

I didn't find the game very ugly. I called it extremely intense and hard-fought. I've seen ugly before. We can argue about calls all day on both sides. It's pointless. How about the three-point play they took from Westbrook on an obviously terrible charge call?

Valid or not, it's how you look at things. Reusse, as usual, chose to write a negative article that gave no credit whatsoever to our team for winning an absolutely huge must-win game. I think that is pathetic. It also would be vaild to point out how great a win it was and how great a comeback it was, how intense the play was, how we dominated the inside, how the Big Ten, ugly or not, has a lot of good teams that have won huge games all year in and out of the conference. But Reusse doesn't work that way. He chooses to be cynical. For some reason you like that and continually defend him. Sorry, I don't. I choose to look at the game as the great win it was.

When we win a game I had given up on (down 46-41), that we absolutely had to have, I think that's pretty great, and a beautiful sight at that.

You can have Reusse and his "valid" points.

Great post WAG. I totally agree. I don't get why Pat R chooses a cynical view on everything nor why jamiche continues to defend him. Neither make any sense to me.

Great post WAG. I totally agree. I don't get why Pat R chooses a cynical view on everything nor why jamiche continues to defend him. Neither make any sense to me.

It's actually probably not worth the effort trying to figure it out. Both are stuck in their ways, and are thus, predictable. You could have predicted almost word-for-word what Reusse would have said about the game last night. It never varies and is thus, uninteresting.

Some call that insightful. Others call it monotonous....

It wont matter soon anyway, since the Strib declared bankruptcy.

My question would be...

Accurate or not, Patrick, what's the point of your piece? I find myself thinking this a lot lately with Reusse's articles. While most of the fans are upset that he's so negative, hates the U, whatever, I just find myself wondering what point it is he's trying to convey?

"winning is all that matters in sports fandom". Ummm..... ya think?! Yes, I would prefer pretty wins, and early in the season it was important to see those types of things but let's face it, Patrick; backs against the wall, absolutely needing a win for NCAA hopes, you're expecting fans to walk away from the Barn obsessing over how ugly things were?

"no player in the BT even in the discussion to be All-American". Okay, again, what's the point? This is a league just getting on it's feet again after suffering through a decade with the coaching "giants" of Amaker, Mike Davis, Dan Monson, and even Alford. The best players are freshmen and sophomores right now. Give it time.

Most of his piece focuses on the ineffective offense displayed by the Gophers. This is news to people? That the Gophers don't have shooters or creators on offense? Tubby understands this and seems to be erring on the side of playing great defense and hoping to find offense where he can get it.

Like I said, I'm not going to argue with him on the accuracy of his statements (although it's lacking in a few areas). I'm just merely asking, what is the point of continually toting this line, Patrick?

I guess he would prefer to be a lightning rod for criticism than to be completely irrelevant...

Great points Ogee. I feel the same way. Generally his articles have no purpose or just kind of ramble on to a finish that fails to tie together any semblance of a coherent point. It's been this way for several years, and I just don't understand the people who think he is a talented writer. Whether you agree with him or not isn't even always the most important thing. It's just that his articles are poorly written, researched, and thought out. I think he is a bad writer hanging on simply by trying to be cynical or controversial just to remain relevant. It's all he knows, and it's quite pathetic. It's the definition of a hack. He was once a decent columnist, not anymore.

Accurate or not, Patrick, what's the point of your piece? I find myself thinking this a lot lately with Reusse's articles. While most of the fans are upset that he's so negative, hates the U, whatever, I just find myself wondering what point it is he's trying to convey?

"winning is all that matters in sports fandom". Ummm..... ya think?! Yes, I would prefer pretty wins, and early in the season it was important to see those types of things but let's face it, Patrick; backs against the wall, absolutely needing a win for NCAA hopes, you're expecting fans to walk away from the Barn obsessing over how ugly things were?

"no player in the BT even in the discussion to be All-American". Okay, again, what's the point? This is a league just getting on it's feet again after suffering through a decade with the coaching "giants" of Amaker, Mike Davis, Dan Monson, and even Alford. The best players are freshmen and sophomores right now. Give it time.

Most of his piece focuses on the ineffective offense displayed by the Gophers. This is news to people? That the Gophers don't have shooters or creators on offense? Tubby understands this and seems to be erring on the side of playing great defense and hoping to find offense where he can get it.

Like I said, I'm not going to argue with him on the accuracy of his statements (although it's lacking in a few areas). I'm just merely asking, what is the point of continually toting this line, Patrick?

I guess he would prefer to be a lightning rod for criticism than to be completely irrelevant...

IN college, the goal is for the players to also get an education and graduate. Right?

IN college, the goal is for the players to also get an education and graduate. Right?

Just out of curiosity, TruthTeller: Why do you bother to pretend you're not ZTA? Why do you ask, "Who is ZTA?" whenever someone calls you that? It's obvious who you are, so what is the point?

DId you think this new persona was going to make you more credible? Isn't it a little ironic for you to pretend you're someone else and go by the moniker TruthTeller?

I am just curious. Or did you get banned and you had to create a new name and try to hide? If not, what is the point?

Just out of curiosity, TruthTeller: Why do you bother to pretend you're not ZTA? Why do you ask, "Who is ZTA?" whenever someone calls you that? It's obvious who you are, so what is the point?

DId you think this new persona was going to make you more credible? Isn't it a little ironic for you to pretend you're someone else and go by the moniker TruthTeller?

I am just curious. Or did you get banned and you had to create a new name and try to hide? If not, what is the point?

Huh? Banned? Never been banned from anything.

Why are you so focused on this zta poster?

Sounds like an obsession. Perhaps you should get back to teaching the children?

"First one to fifty wins!"

An accurate prediction on the Gopher-Badger game outcome by Mr. Ruesse

Huh? Banned? Never been banned from anything.

Why are you so focused on this zta poster?

Sounds like an obsession. Perhaps you should get back to teaching the children?

Don't have school today. And how do you know I am a teacher if you are TruthTeller? He certainly hasn't been around long enough to know that sort of history.

Again, what is the point of denyng it?

Top Bottom