Guys with rushing stats on the official roster

So, which ones are you willing to lose to the football gods' hatred of Gopher ball-carriers...? Rush and Walley are way too important to lose, I'm thinkin'.

I'm more than happy to see PJ trot out LeCaptain for some significant carries. If the Gophers need to use Kramer, Kendall Moore or even Dino Kaliakmanis, I'm good with them, too.
Derek LeCaptain has the better resume to be the third running back. At 6' 2", 235-pounds, he can wear down defenses in the second half of the game.

We could be looking at an RB that reminds us of former Boilermaker Mike Alstott (6'1' 247 pounds).

The more important question is where is the passing game going? If the Gophers want to go far and win the division outright, they better have the passing game working on all cylinders.

PJ Fleck is going to face some of the more experienced coaches who know how to win.

I think it would be self-defeating to that Walley or Rush off of defense.

Jonathan Mann is intriguing as the next guy along with LeCaptain, because Mann is big and a track guy. Supposedly ran a 4.32 40 in HS. At 6’3” and now up to 225 lbs—and even if now a 4.5 m/4.6 guy—he could be a terror if he turned the corner. No idea if he’s got vision, patience, etc. He’s got the size to block well in the backfield. Might also be a real threat as a pass receiver out in swing pass out of the backfield.

Myles Fleming is also intriguing. PJ got him because he was an all around athlete. Fast and shifty. 1700 rushing yards in HS is valuable experience, even if they came at QB. More typical RB size; very different than Mann.

Definitely are paths to the field for a few guys sitting right now.

Last edited:

Howard came to my mind first.
Howard couldn't take the punishment playing in the slot -- I think that asking him to play running back would be too much on him.

Howard couldn't take the punishment playing in the slot -- I think that asking him to play running back would be too much on him.
That and I just can't see them taking someone out of the regular defensive rotation to fill in at RB. Any surprise players outside of the ones we are already aware of will almost certainly come from the pool of players that are not regular contributors at this point. Especially since we are getting into the point in the season where guys can play and potentially still save their redshirt.

Nice job. Does anyone know if Kramer played any RB or was it all QB?

Big Dan had some rushing yards in the spring game that one time. There's that.

Knowing how valuable he is as the Wildcat QB, I don't think he's an option to become a RB
I agree. I'd prefer the least amount of impact on the other positions as possible. I hope the players moving around are people who don't really have a huge role elsewhere. I like the idea of Cap getting more touches. McGill and Fleming were both pretty dynamic HS QBs (purely running). Fleming is probably a little smaller than you'd like.

Jordan Nubin has got the size. Supposed to be fast. New position for him. Hope it works and he ends up as the second Nubin on scholarship.

Jordan Nubin has got the size. Supposed to be fast. New position for him. Hope it works and he ends up as the second Nubin on scholarship.
Forgot about him when I posted earlier in this thread. Size wise he is right in line with the other backs we have on the roster so makes a lot of sense from that standpoint.

Hopefully we get a big lead against Illinois so that they can work in some of these other guys and figure out who can get it done.

PJ Fleck on KFAN said that RB contingency plans were put in place early during this season. It was discussed among coaches and staff. It included the Director of Football Operations. Some of the parents were even contacted. If any player had any inkling of being a running back growing up, they know about it.

I didn't catch the names, but there were a few players taking reps as RBs.

Can anyone point me to where I can listen to Fleck's radio show from today?

Agree with those saying you can't rob Peter to pay Paul. No way you take Walley or Rush off a defense playing as lights out as they are. LeCaptain is the perfect 3rd stringer right now. Use Dino or the walk-on as your emergency guy. Maybe give Walley a jet sweep or reverse like we saw in the Spring game, but that's it.
And please let us not see Bucky waiting for a kickoff again, ever. On the chance one is returnable we can't risk him for that. Dino was the best in Illinois last year. He's our man.

Top Bottom