Guess the Ws record for BJs first year.

SanDiegoGopherFan

Reaction score
Just for reference: We finished 14-15, 6-14 B1G this year.

Pitino year 1: 25-13, 8-10 B1G (previous year: 21-13, 8-10 B1G)

Tubby year 1: 20-14, 8-10 B1G (previous year: 9-22, 3-13 B1G)

Monson year 1: 12-16, 4-12 B1G (previous year: 17-11, 8-8 B1G)

Clem year 1: 9-19, 2-16 B1G (previous year: 15-16, 5-13 B1G)

Obviously this will depend on the roster. If we are getting a majority of transfers from mid-majors and we keep Pohto and Thompson I say high ceiling 14 wins, low 9 wins.

Wouldn't it probably make sense to hold off on this thread until the roster is finalized?

Just taking a wild stab in the dark my guess would be that we end up finishing somewhere around where we did last season but not sure how anyone could make any sort of solid prediction when we have no clue what the roster is going to look like.

Without seeing schedule or roster I would feel pretty confident guessing bottom 3 in conference and around .500 non conference

Pitino had a full cupboard his first year and had guys that had played together before. BJ will be screwed 3-17 in the B1G.
Pitino only had a couple guys and no recruits. The majority of the roster his first season were his recruits.
If BJ keeps Johnson, Ihnen and Gach it’s about even.

Pitino only had a couple guys and no recruits. The majority of the roster his first season were his recruits.
I don’t know Andre was a stud. In Cbb a guard can carry you. We should’ve gotten in over Illinois that year but the committee got it wrong.
Brandon is one of my favorites but it’s hard to build a team around him. I think if we can land a good point guard we could be competitive and maybe get to .500 overall.

This is some revisionist history if I’ve ever heard it. 4 of the top 5 in games started during Pitino’s first year were holdovers. The top 2 scorers in Pitino’s first year were the top 2 scorers in Tubby’s final year.

Wouldn't it probably make sense to hold off on this thread until the roster is finalized?

Just taking a wild stab in the dark my guess would be that we end up finishing somewhere around where we did last season but not sure how anyone could make any sort of solid prediction when we have no clue what the roster is going to look like.

Yeah it would....but you couldn't whine and moan about it if you wait until the roster is finalized.

Going to say they improve as the season goes on and finish 7 - 13 in the “always tough” BIG avoiding weakling Wednesday with a final regular season win to do so.
overall they will finish at or 1 game below 500

That's not quite true. Pitino inherited a core of the Hollins boys, Walker, Elliot, and lesser lights like Oto and Maverick. Pitino brought in DeAndre, Smith, and Joey King. I think he inherited more talent than BJ will. He did have one recruit: the guy who later was arrested as a soph but he didn't contribute much as a freshman.

I like Johnson but I struggle to see a better first year than 5-6 B1G wins given the exodus.. Hope he proves wrong.

That's not quite true. Pitino inherited a core of the Hollins boys, Walker, Elliot, and lesser lights like Oto and Maverick. Pitino brought in DeAndre, Smith, and Joey King. I think he inherited more talent than BJ will. He did have one recruit: the guy who later was arrested as a soph but he didn't contribute much as a freshman.
Walker was fully to Pitino's credit. Pitino told him he didn't see him contributing unless he lost a lot of weight and Walker lost 50-60 pounds over the summer, improving his mobility a ton. The two Hollins were good holdovers but the rest of the roster was weak. Ben is taking on an even worse situation but has an opportunity that was not around then in the transfer pool.

Walker was fully to Pitino's credit. Pitino told him he didn't see him contributing unless he lost a lot of weight and Walker lost 50-60 pounds over the summer, improving his mobility a ton. The two Hollins were good holdovers but the rest of the roster was weak. Ben is taking on an even worse situation but has an opportunity that was not around then in the transfer pool.
Mo’s weight issues mostly had to do with the fact that he had multiple knee surgeries in his first couple years, and was unable to do much conditioning. He looked good when he got on the court those first couple years, he was just never healthy for an extended amount of time.

Gophers might beat Penn State at the barn and then not so good the rest of the Big Ten season. A very long season.

This is false
Well, is it? Your evidence, your argument is compelling, but... Austin and Andre were nice holdovers...no doubt. Mo Walker was on the roster...but never played. Pitino completely motivated him to become a new player....so whose recruit is he?
Mathieu - Pitino avg 12 ppg
King - Pitino avg 7 ppt
Malik Smith - Pitino avg 7 ppg

Yes, Tubby left Elliot, Oto, Buggs and Maverick. That's your argument? I'd prefer the scholarships.
If Ihnen, Johnson and Gach stay they can be three nice pieces....even if the 3 equal two you are even up without the dead weight in a better environment to add players.

3-17 in Big 10 if Peyton is our starting PG. However, if Chet commits on Monday, Carr comes back, and Rebracca signs to play the 5, I will revise to 15-5 in Big 10 with Chet in NPOY contention as a freshmen.

3-17 in Big 10 if Peyton is our starting PG. However, if Chet commits on Monday, Carr comes back, and Rebracca signs to play the 5, I will revise to 15-5 in Big 10 with Chet in NPOY contention as a freshmen.
If Chet comes 15-5. Otherwise to early to say.

If Chet comes 15-5. Otherwise to early to say.
Yeah I have no idea how we could realistically guess our record without knowing the final pieces. I get that it's kind of a crap shoot when it comes to predictions, but our roster is so incredibly fluid right now it's impossible.

Need to know roster and schedule before taking a stab at record. Would imagine non-con schedule will be heavy on marshmallows.

I think it depends on non-conference schedule.
But I'm thinking about 3-4 Big Ten wins.
8-11 wins total.

Top Bottom