Groce and Pitino pressers - That was not the play they wanted to run at the end of

GopherLady

Reaction score
regulation.

Here are my notes, not verbatim, as always...just catching what I can.

John Groce:
• Obviously for us, it was about responding from how we played on Tuesday night. We played well tonight, I loved our resiliency, were down 10 with 6 minutes left in the 1st half. We were down 5 with a minute to go, and we had turned it over a couple times, and had the resiliency to come back on the inbound play. The big stop at the end of regulation, those guys buckled down, I could see it in the look in their eyes during the timeout. All in all, I'm going to take out of this, the resiliency we had, we were really tough, mentally. This was a major, major step.
• Not until we got a few stops, I thought their kids played hard. Obviously they had a 5 point lead with a minute to go, they played hard. I thought once we got a 9/10 point lead, they were a little bit (deflated) but not until that point.
• Finke had some blood in his mouth, which is good for him, it will toughen them up a bit (smiling).
• I thought MN played really well early, we helped them by taking some tough shots. We had 17 assists in the game, I thought we executed really well. Had great purpose. We had great purpose when we were down 10 in the 1st half. I thought today was a step in the right direction.
• We still have a long way to go, a long way to go - but this was a step in the right direction

Richard Pitino:
• I thought they were pretty good at the end of regulation, but obviously they didn't handle that very well.
• I think they got stops, we had some TO's, missed FT's, we made a lot of young mistakes at the end of that game.
• That was definitely not the play that we wanted to run, I don't want to blame it on one guy, we didn't execute it, it's on me.
• I didn't want an NBA 3 at the end, we didn’t execute that last play.
• They seemed good going into OT, I didn't see it until the middle of the OT.
• You've gotta give Hill credit, he made the big shots when he needed to.
• The pressure of wanting to win the 1st game? It could have played a role. You want to win, you're just not finding a way to do that. I think we've played pretty well the last 3 games, we've put ourselves in a position to win, that's all you can ask. We just didn't do it. This is a tough one, but we can't hang our heads.
• It's hard to rate the levels of hard, it's all been hard. They know they're cllose, I think they know that.
• On 36 3's? Too much. Joey, too much. We kept on talking about driving the zone, attacking, we just didn't do that. There's way too many 3's.
• I did think they were a little quicker to loose balls than we were in the 1st half. We fought back, but just didn't find a way to get it done when we needed to.
• Bakary just isn't giving us a lot right now. I don't want to play Joey 40 minutes. Gotta roll with the best line-up you can.
• Dorsey did some good things, it's just a process with him. Getting more solid, trust is a big thing. I thought Buggs was doing a good job defensively, Dupree had 8 assists.
• On Nate's decision making? He's playing a lot of minutes, I think that has something to do with it, he was really tired. I would still like him to get by guys more than he's doing.
• Emotional response? Sure, that's my job to get them back and ready to go, I thought our fans were awesome, our guys were together and connected, just didn't find a way to win. You just gotta regroup, it will be tough tonight and tomorrow, but Purdue is a top 20 team in your building. That's what we signed up for.
• They gotta see that we're improving, now it's figuring out how to win. Tougher to tell them they were getting better against NE and NU than now. We have to ignore the record and keep fighting.

Thanks Nadine!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Pitino is just such a bad coach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atleast he took blame for the loss.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Nope your comment was the unnecessary shot that contributed nothing to the thread.

Which is now causing 5 unnecessary shots that contribute nothing to the thread. Eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, or something like that.

Which is now causing 5 unnecessary shots that contribute nothing to the thread. Eye for an eye makes the whole world blind, or something like that.
Make that six. lol Thanks for your post GopherLady. Konate not giving them any quality minutes is discouraging I was hoping he had some upside.

Make that six. lol Thanks for your post GopherLady. Konate not giving them any quality minutes is discouraging I was hoping he had some upside.

Yes, that has really been a killer. Hopefully he gets about 5 minutes a game next year. Gas will be buried and he should move along.

Yes, that has really been a killer. Hopefully he gets about 5 minutes a game next year. Gas will be buried and he should move along.

At times he shows little flashes. Early in the Illinois game he made a beautiful bank hook from about 6 feet. The inability to grasp rebounds or passes consistently is indeed a killer.

At times he shows little flashes. Early in the Illinois game he made a beautiful bank hook from about 6 feet. The inability to grasp rebounds or passes consistently is indeed a killer.
That was a sweet bank shot. But his hands are God-awful. He cannot catch a pass in the lane from a driving guard to save his life. And his rebounding also suffers because of this.

Top Bottom