Gregg Doyel: Hiring Urban Meyer is only way OSU's Gee, Smith can survive

The writer paints a less-than-flattering picture of the OSU athletics brain trust. Perhaps ol' Joel doesn't deviate too far from the norm when it comes to AD ability. He just doesn't have the margin for error that an OSU-level job provides.

And if they lose to Michigan? Actually, the Buckeyes were outplaying Nebraska until their QB went down.

And why should anyone care if Gee and Smith survive?

Live to cheat another day? They should have been run out of town with sweatervest.

From the article:

"Meyer wins huge everywhere he goes, from Bowling Green to Utah to Florida, and he does it within NCAA rules."

That's what people wrote about sweatervest too.

"He allows too much nonsense from his players off the field, but I have a feeling that would change at Ohio State. The momentum of arrests at Florida -- first one player, then two, then 20, then 30 -- turned that first snowflake into an avalanche, one he couldn't figure out how to stop."

Poor lil fella just got all caught up in the tide, and couldn't do a thing about it. Don't worry Urban...those big bad thugs will be reigned in by the deep-pocketed supporters of O$U.

The kids at Florida sold as much of their jerseys under Meyer's nose as they did under Tressel, at least the starting QB, RB, and star WR weren't involved. A number of players at UF did get suspended after being busted and had to pay fines (of the amount they sold their gear for). OSU just tried to sweep it under the rug. Most of this happened over a period of years.

There were rumors posted on premium sites with quotes from "supposed" close friends of the great Liar, and where he wanted to land a coaching job. It wasn't tOSU. I can't post the full article and link here of course, but it states that CUM is looking at the coaching situations at two universities, both in warm weather locations.

I can tell you right now, one of those rumored universities is a NO WAY...alums and boosters would have that man and his gimmick offense and drama anywhere near campus.

Guess he's waiting for Mack Brown to be shown the door.

A little of that article...

**Scratch Urban? … Our guys are in Nashville at the XXX Sports convention. Their first encounter there was with one of the SEC's most trusted sources.

Maybe I am not coming back to Ohio after all ...

They immediately pinned him down regarding the prevalent Urban Meyer-to-Ohio State rumors. Here was his reply:

"No chance. I just talked to him. He's not going there."
Huh?

"No, really. His family doesn't want to go there. His son is one of the best 12-year-old baseball players in Florida. They want to be somewhere where the weather is warm and he can play baseball year-around."

So where's he going?
"He has his eye on two places - Texas and Southern Cal."
What? They each have coaches in place.
"Well, if Mack Brown leaves, he's always had his eye on that job. At USC, the sanctions from Tennessee could follow Lane Kiffin and that could be a problem for him.

"Urban and Pat Haden are tight from when Pat did Notre Dame games on NBC.
"Plus they have two boosters who will write a check for anything he wants."
So basically Meyer will have his choice of jobs and Ohio State may not be at the top of his list.
Egads.

Of course, that article is four months old...and entirely leaves out several facts, such as a friendly relationship with Pat is far different from consideration of a HC position with a coaching philosophy polar opposite of USC's tradition of running a pro set offense. Those two boosters mentioned would write a check for anything ANY USC HC wants to bring in a top coaching staff - they bought out Kiffins contract at TN, and were ready to pay Norm Chow his million dollar a year contract to come back, so, it's not CUM specifically.

Let the speculation begin.

Wait...are you talking about Kiffin, Pete Carroll or Meyer here?

...and just bout every successful coach in CFB...as we're finding out.

But no one beats the Great Liar...

"This is a long term process (building a football program). I always say there are only about eight or 10 really good football programs where year in and year out they win."
Source: Urban Meyer Press Conference, November 13, 2002

"We are nowhere near what we can do here. That's what's driving me right now. Everybody's worried about those other places; nothing's going on."
Source: Bowling Green Sentinel, December 6, 2002

"I was contacted by one, but I'm not interested. I love it here. We have a lot of work to do. That's the bottom line."

"With recruits, that's been for two years, even before we won. [They say,] 'that guy's not going to be there very long'; that's silly ... The future is fantastic here ... I'm proud to be the football coach here. Once they get to know me, know my family, know how important it is to have continuity, my kids going to school somewhere."

"I think you all but guarantee that you are one of the top two, three teams in the league every year if you get that [new athletic facility] here. I feel so strong about the academics, about the community, the environment, about the people. It's the last piece; it's a significant piece."

"In the words of any Bowling Green football player today: 'I thought we were your family.' Bowling Green's players are understandably angry at Meyer for leaving. Every day he would preach team loyalty. Meyer carried his we-are-family concept to the extreme, even bunking in the same dorm with the Falcons during preseason workouts."
Source: Toledo Blade, December 13, 2002

"Notre Dame is my dream job."
Source: Memory, January 1, 2003

"It [leaving Bowling Green] was one of the hardest things I've ever done. It was devastating. I didn't realize — and maybe I wasn't thinking clearly — but I thought it was going to be one of those things where you shake hands, give a big hug and say 'good luck.'"
Source: Deseret News, October 5, 2004

"First of all, I love it here. But I'm second fiddle. My family is No. 1, and they love it here. As long as we're filling the stadium, as long as we're continuing to grow as a program and as long as I feel these student-athletes are getting the best opportunity to be a top 25 program — which I think it is — I'm going to be the coach here."Source: Deseret News, October 30, 2004

"I plan on coaching here for a long time."
Source: Deseret News, November 15, 2004

"Meyer told the New York Times last week, 'I'm chicken. It would be excruciating to leave. When I left Bowling Green, it was the worst three months.'"
Source: Deseret News, November 17, 2004

"Wrote Mike Sorenson, 'It's been well-documented that Meyer's wife, Shelley, was a big factor in Meyer taking the Utah job. She wanted to move back to the West because she enjoyed the family's time in Colorado when he was an assistant at Colorado State. Shelley and the kids seem to love the outdoor lifestyle, and she has told friends and neighbors that they aren't going anywhere.'"

"Mike Sorenson wrote, 'Some folks may question his loyalty because he left Bowling Green after just two years. But Meyer has said, the six months after that was one of the hardest times of his life, because he felt so bad for leaving. Does he really want to go through that again just two years later?' [um, yes.]"

"I plan on coaching at Utah next year. There's been no contact made. Period. It's almost comical. We're playing the biggest game in the history of the school and we're talking about that. That's nothing to do with nothing. [Shelley Meyer served her employer 2-weeks notice the next day.]"Source: Deseret News, November 17, 2004

"Wrote Antony A Engligh, "Shelley will be heavily involved in Meyer's next move. 'She's a coach's wife, that's what she does for a living,' Bud Meyer said. 'It's a big job. It's a job that she (wants) to be informed, but she does a very good job.'""
Source: St. Petersburg Times, November 17, 2004

"There's been no contact and I really don't anticipate any. I'm certainly not looking for a job. I love where I'm coaching."
Source: Deseret News, November 18, 2004

"When asked by a young boy if he was going to be the coach next year, Urban replied very directly, 'I plan on being the coach at the University of Utah next year.'"
Source: Urban Meyer Coach's Show, November 18, 2004

"As long as I'm married, I'll be the coach at Utah. [exact date unknown, source is a local sports show]"
Source: Memory, November 20, 2004

"Though Meyer is frequently mentioned as a candidate for more lucurative coaching jobs, he denies any contact has been made. 'I'm not out looking, so if someone's waiting for me to pick up the phone it's not going to happen,' said Meyer. And there's little chance of that over the next four days. Meyer plans to turn his telephone off over the holiday break while he spends lost time with his family. He isn't expecting a lot of calls, anyhow. Word is out that he loves Utah, Meyer explained, and schools are funny about that. Despite speculation to the contrary, including a Florida fan-based Web site that reported a deal with Meyer has already been reached, the coach insists he represents himself. And that no talks have taken place. 'I don't have an agent. People are trying to get me to have one, but I'm just not comfortable with that kind of stuff,' said Meyer. 'I'm coaching my team and taking care of my family.'"
Source: Deseret News, November 24, 2004

"[When asked about Florida:] No. I have no real comment. All I keep saying is I plan on being the coach here at Utah."
Source: Deseret News, November 30, 2004

" It's not about prestige and it's certainly not about money. In today's climate, you don't have time to build a program. Too many coaches are let go before they can build a program."
Source: Deseret News, December 2, 2004

"I'm going to a place where I think we can really win, because no good can come of losing. Losing is never good."
Source: Deseret News, December 2, 2004

"I'm the head coach at Utah. If for some reason I'm not, I still anticipate coaching in the bowl game."
Source: Deseret News, December 3, 2004

"This was a family decision. University of Florida has been in the mix since the day, uh [pause] after our rival game. ... There was no intention to hurt a great university [Notre Dame], including this university [Utah the afterthought]."
Source: ESPN SportsCenter, December 4, 2004

"Recruiting at Utah doesn't start 'till January. That's when these kids that wanted to go to USC and UCLA find out they won't be and then the Utes get them."
Source: Press Conference, December 4, 2004

"I didn't want to put Utah into disarray. I had to do this now to protect Utah."
Source: KUTV News, December 4, 2004

"I am certainly excited about the opportunity to be the head coach at the University of Florida. There were a lot of factors that went into this decision that our entire family had to consider. The opportunity to compete at the highest level at one of the nation’s most-respected academic institutions is something that was attractive for us."
Source: GatorZone.com, December 4, 2004

"The quality of recruits within the state of Florida and the Southeast Region offers a tremendous recruiting base for us."

"There's no such thing as luck, there's a big word called investment. If there was luck, why work as hard as we do. I've never been involved in a game where the most invested team lost."

"[Referring to Florida:] This is a place you can put your feet down hopefully for a long time."
Source: ESPN, December 7, 2004

"I have no aspirations to coach in the NFL None whatsoever. It's all about the pageantry and tradition of college football, which in my opinion is second to none."
Source: ESPN, December 7, 2004

"This is a place you can put your feet down for a long time. It's over [moving every 2 years]. I'm not doing this again."
Source: GatorSports.com, December 8, 2004

"If he goes to the NFL, you can call me a liar," his wife, Shelley, said. "That's not happening."
Source: GatorSports.com, December 8, 2004

"In the words of any Bowling Green football player today: 'I thought we were your family.' Bowling Green's players are understandably angry at Meyer for leaving. Every day he would preach team loyalty. Meyer carried his we-are-family concept to the extreme, even bunking in the same dorm with the Falcons during preseason workouts."
Source: Toledo Blade, December 13, 2004
_

There were rumors posted on premium sites with quotes from "supposed" close friends of the great Liar, and where he wanted to land a coaching job. It wasn't tOSU. I can't post the full article and link here of course, but it states that CUM is looking at the coaching situations at two universities, both in warm weather locations.

I can tell you right now, one of those rumored universities is a NO WAY...alums and boosters would not have that man and his gimmick offense and drama anywhere near campus.

Guess he's waiting for Mack Brown to be shown the door.

A little of that article...

Of course, that article is four months old...and entirely leaves out several facts, such as a friendly relationship with Pat is far different from consideration of a HC position with a coaching philosophy polar opposite of USC's tradition of running a pro set offense. Those two boosters mentioned would write a check for anything ANY USC HC wants to bring in a top coaching staff - they bought out Kiffins contract at TN, and were ready to pay Norm Chow his million dollar a year contract to come back, so, it's not CUM specifically.

Let the speculation begin.

Urban is reportedly very close friends with Mack Brown. I couldn't see him taking that job if Mack is fired. Now, if Deloss Dodds retires as AD at Texas and Mack moves into that spot then that could be a different story. I have also heard however that Mack will move back to North Carolina when done coaching, so who knows.

Urban is reportedly very close friends with Mack Brown. I couldn't see him taking that job if Mack is fired. Now, if Deloss Dodds retires as AD at Texas and Mack moves into that spot then that could be a different story. I have also heard however that Mack will move back to North Carolina when done coaching, so who knows.

Would love to see that guy across the field coaching UCLA...if they ever thought FB was worth spending on, considering the money the school brings in in fundraising.

We an recycle the LA Times ad,
[h=1]"The Football Monopoly in Los Angeles Is Officially Over"
[/h] All we have to do is cut Skippy's photo out, and paste urbie instead. <abbr class="published updated" title="2008-08-26T01:39:00-04:00"></abbr>

Top Bottom