Gregg Doyel: Death penalty for Oklahoma hoops? That's the hypothesis here

The only thing I find surprising about any of this is that Doyel is recommending the death penalty for his alma mater. After that, most of this stuff falls under the "it's Oklahoma...what did you think they were doing down there?" category.

Having said that, the NCAA are the masters of selective justice. They have dragged this thing out with USC to the point of ridiculousness and I'm sure they'll try to delay things with Oklahoma as much as possible. Then, as Doyel suggested, they'll give both schools the absolute lowest penalty possible and claim it was fair. That's how the NCAA does things.

The best paragraph...

The NCAA's job, near as I can tell, is to hammer the small schools who break the rules while letting the bigger schools, with the powerful lawyers, go on about their business. You'll see it soon enough with Southern California, a school whose football and basketball programs should be zipped into a body bag and not exhumed for a year or two. Instead, USC will get some probation, some more scholarship sanctions, something it can handle -- but not what it deserves.

The only thing I find surprising about any of this is that Doyel is recommending the death penalty for his alma mater.

No. Doyel is a University of Florida alum.

No. Doyel is a University of Florida alum.

You're correct, my mistake. The rest of the family went to Oklahoma, not Doyel. However, the rest of the point stands.

if usc doesnt get the sanctions the rest of the country feel they deserve do you think the rest of the country will keep quiet or do you think there will be more protest this time around?

if usc doesnt get the sanctions the rest of the country feel they deserve do you think the rest of the country will keep quiet or do you think there will be more protest this time around?

How do you protest? We might all think it's a sham, but people will still buy tickets and merchandise and the show will go on. (See: NBA)

Jerry Tarkanian’s classic line, “the NCAA is so mad at Kentucky, it will probably slap another two years’ probation on Cleveland State.”
You make money for the NCAA, it appears, the NCAA will love you right back.

How do you protest? We might all think it's a sham, but people will still buy tickets and merchandise and the show will go on. (See: NBA)

in reagrds to people more openly questioning the NCAA. To me it just seems like this case seems to have a little different vibe then most and if the punishment does not fit the crime the NCAA is going to take a lot more heat then usual and its going to have a big PR problem

Everyone knows that the NCAA plays favorites. Both USC and OK are teams that the NCAA loves. I hope I'm wrong, but I really doubt that either school will receive the sanctions they deserve.

Top Bottom