Greg Schiano Big Ten Coach of the Year?

60's Guy

Reaction score
Like everybody Rutgers had no spring football, but Schiano in addition was a late first year hire.
His team has been competitive in every game they have played, including versus Ohio State.
He has navigated Covid19 , while coaching in a populous area.
I'd say the performance of Rutgers is more impressive than that of Northwestern.
How has he been able to achieve this big of a step forward amidst a pandemic?

Last edited:

I would say northwestern coach until they lost to Michigan state.
How can it not be Indiana coach?

Definitely those three are the top 3

Greg Schiano Big Ten Coach of the Year!

FIFY πŸ˜€

It's 2020, maybe everyone else just sucked?

I'm not convinced any coaches are just magically better at pandemic football because we've seen one wonky season.

Top to bottom the B10 will supplant SEC as the best overall conference within the next five years IMO.

Definitely think it's between him and Tom Allen. I would lean towards Allen. Rumors already starting that Vandy is interested in him.

Top to bottom the B10 will supplant SEC as the best overall conference within the next five years IMO.
There are at least 12 coaches in the big ten right now that I would consider at least above average compared to the rest of the country.

Only ones I question are:

Mel tucker (don’t know enough yet...don’t think he is bad or good...need more data)

Mike Locksley (despite beating gophers in convinced he is one of the worst power 5 head coaches)

I think the B1G is already better as a conference, looking at overall results of the sports and in the classroom.

That would be a lateral move, no?
Money talks.
I would speculate his next job he’d prefer less of a rebuild than Indiana was. I don’t doubt he likes money.

Money talks.
I would speculate his next job he’d prefer less of a rebuild than Indiana was. I don’t doubt he likes money.
I'd coach Indiana for $2 million. Just waiting for the phone call.

Yes. I think he is where he wants to be...Indiana born and an Alum. If nothing else, IU will redo his contract based on the rumormill.

Yes. I think he is where he wants to be...Indiana born and an Alum. If nothing else, IU will redo his contract based on the rumormill.
I would rather live in Nashville than Bloomington though!

Money talks.
Yeah, agree. Vandy is a total rebuild. Allen will get a nice increase from IU.

I'd coach Indiana for $2 million. Just waiting for the phone call.
I'd probably do it for $1.75 million, if it helps their budget in a pandemic emerging economy (hopefully) in the coming year. :ROFLMAO:

step down in my opinion. vandy has been a train wreck and that is going to be a loooooooooooong rebuild. Can't see him giving that up when he's finally made something at IU unless he thinks the cupboard is more barren next year. He's also from Indiana for what that's worth

Greg Schiano Big Ten Coach of the Year!

FIFY πŸ˜€
I think it depends how Rutgers, Indiana, and Northwestern finish out. If Rutgers beats Penn St and Maryland and finishes either 4-4 or 4-5, I think Schiano has to win it. But if they lose out and Indiana or Northwestern wins the B1G, Allen or Fitz should be seriously considered.

Why bother with that award as a good number of teams will not play a full BIG schedule. Same with all BIG teams as a good number of the better players will lack playing time to be judged.

There are at least 12 coaches in the big ten right now that I would consider at least above average compared to the rest of the country.

Only ones I question are:

Mel tucker (don’t know enough yet...don’t think he is bad or good...need more data)

Mike Locksley (despite beating gophers in convinced he is one of the worst power 5 head coaches)
look at the win and loss record for your data.

look at the win and loss record for your data.
Hard to say. He has coached 2 seasons. 1 season he took over a dumpster fire at Colorado
Another he took over an odd Michigan state program during a pandemic

Data says not that good but I’m not sure he has had enough time to prove not good yet

Definitely think it's between him and Tom Allen. I would lean towards Allen. Rumors already starting that Vandy is interested in him.

A couple sites tossed his name in there because Indiana is doing well. He’s not going to Vandy which is basically starting over on his hard won gains. He makes almost $4m a year, is coaching his home state team and alma mater, and is absolutely not going to Vandy.

A couple sites tossed his name in there because Indiana is doing well. He’s not going to Vandy which is basically starting over on his hard won gains. He makes almost $4m a year, is coaching his home state team and alma mater, and is absolutely not going to Vandy.
Yes, I posted essentially this in posts #12/14.

Would easily think Fitz or Tom Allen.

Indiana should scare the blue bloods in the Big Ten East.

It's not a far drive to IU from Chicago, Mich, Ohio, or western Pennsylvania. Not everyone can go to Notre Dame or Ohio State, and maybe no many want to go to Michigan or Penn St after this year.

Top Bottom