Greder: U displaying its 2019 BT West trophy in the Larson Football Performance Center.

I shouldn't be considering this forums history...

But I really didn't expect this much negativity after what was the best season in decades.

200.gif

I mean. I don’t care if penn state claims a co title
Nor do I care if wisconsin does
Nor Iowa
Nor auburn
Nor Utah

Why should they care what we do?
They don't.

But I do. Apparently other Gopher fans, as well.

They don't.

You care if penn state claims a championship from 10 years ago? I bet you didn’t even know they claimed one until someone brought it up. So you’re just a liar

You care if penn state claims a championship from 10 years ago? I bet you didn’t even know they claimed one until someone brought it up. So you’re just a liar
I would be a liar if I said I cared what Penn St does.

But I don’t. Nor do they care what we do, as I said.

And lastly, as I said, we care what we do, just as they care what they do.

This shouldn’t be hard.

This shouldn’t be hard.
If you were talking about the gophers in your post you are really bad at English. Did you graduate from Nebraska ?

Some of us care about college sports period . Interested in who wins what every year.

But I really didn't expect this much negativity after what was the best season in decades.

I don't consider the discussion negative at all. Not getting a trophy wouldn't detract from the accomplishments of going 11-2 overall, 7-2 in the B10, beating Penn St, winning 3 conference road games and capping it off with an Outback Bowl win over highly ranked Auburn.

While 7-2 is fantastic, best in my life (and I'm over 50) which I celebrated immensely...to me the Badgers are the champs. They won head-to-head. Gophers should get jack squat.

200.gif

Right there with you. I could see getting a little bent out of shape if WE were the ones making the claim to a co-championship despite it not being recognized by the conference. Kind of like UCF and their mythical National Championship.

But in this case we are officially, according to the Big Ten, the co-champions of the West so why should we not acknowledge and celebrate it? Sure we all wanted more but we did in fact earn the co-champion title. We lost the head to head game with Wisconsin that would have put us over the top but that one loss doesn't make the 7-1 in other conference games less meaningful.

I don't see anyone internally saying we should hold a parade or trumpet it as the greatest accomplishment in the history of sports. It is simply just another part of what was a fantastic season for this program. One we can hopefully continue to build on so that the next time we are in position to win the West division outright we get it done.

Some people work way too hard to find things to be upset about. The Big Ten conference says we were co-champions of the West division in 2019 so that means we were co-champions of the West division in 2019, really isn't that hard.

Right there with you. I could see getting a little bent out of shape if WE were the ones making the claim to a co-championship despite it not being recognized by the conference. Kind of like UCF and their mythical National Championship.

But in this case we are officially, according to the Big Ten, the co-champions of the West so why should we not acknowledge and celebrate it? Sure we all wanted more but we did in fact earn the co-champion title. We lost the head to head game with Wisconsin that would have put us over the top but that one loss doesn't make the 7-1 in other conference games less meaningful.

I don't see anyone internally saying we should hold a parade or trumpet it as the greatest accomplishment in the history of sports. It is simply just another part of what was a fantastic season for this program. One we can hopefully continue to build on so that the next time we are in position to win the West division outright we get it done.

Some people work way too hard to find things to be upset about. The Big Ten conference says we were co-champions of the West division in 2019 so that means we were co-champions of the West division in 2019, really isn't that hard.

Yeah, for me it comes down to that some kids busted their ass hard and won some things.

It seems like the ultimate in <insert bad words here> to suggest they not celebrate it, or tone it down or even put whatever trophy or achievement they earned down.

Kids busted their ass and earned something while we sat on our butts, they can celebrate what they like however they like.

I'm willing to offer free high fives, hugs or whatever for whatever those kids do.

Last edited:

I saw a photo last night of a trophy for division champ that Michigan displays from a year when they lost the tiebreaker and didn't play in the B1G Championship game.

Minnesota fans can be just awful. Following the logic of far too many: A trophy for a co-championship of the division should be hidden in the cellar and all three of our non conference games should be against Alabama every year.

It's okay to have a little fun and take some pride in a rising program. If someone in a leadership position at the U got in front of the podium with the division co-champ trophy and said "we've arrived, we've climbed the mountain, we are fine lowering expectations from here on out" - then I could understand. But geez! It is okay to both be proud of the season and be a little disappointed the team wasn't in the B1G championship game.

90% of posters in this thread are (purposefully) misframing the actual argument being made by a few.

So let's make it crystal clear.

The argument being made by a few is NOT any of the following:
- Gophers should reject/throw away/hide/not display the trophy that was delivered
- Gophers win so many division titles, that getting a trophy for one is meaningless (this is probably the most silly of the bunch)
- should or should not do something based on what other teams in the conference do themselves
- should or should not do something based on what other teams in the conference think about us doing it
- the Big Ten didn't understand its own rules and mistakenly sent a trophy

The argument being made is the following:
- a team that ties in the division for best conference record, but loses the tie-breakers - especially by losing the head-to-head game - and therefore does not represent the division in the conf championship game, doesn't deserve any kind of acknowledgement and doesn't deserve to be recognized as co-division champs. The Big Ten is wrong to do otherwise.

Good grief message boards are silly.

Last edited:

I saw a photo last night of a trophy for division champ that Michigan displays from a year when they lost the tiebreaker and didn't play in the B1G Championship game.

Minnesota fans can be just awful. Following the logic of far too many: A trophy for a co-championship of the division should be hidden in the cellar and all three of our non conference games should be against Alabama every year.

It's okay to have a little fun and take some pride in a rising program. If someone in a leadership position at the U got in front of the podium with the division co-champ trophy and said "we've arrived, we've climbed the mountain, we are fine lowering expectations from here on out" - then I could understand. But geez! It is okay to both be proud of the season and be a little disappointed the team wasn't in the B1G championship game.

There are some in here that seem to view the Co-Championship trophy as being on par with the participation medal your kid gets for just showing up regardless of how well they do. Apparently division championships are so common around here that we should only count them if we win them outright. Your last paragraph nails it. If anyone associated with the program was acting like we had reached the pinnacle because we were co-champs of the division that would be a different story.

But not one person associated with Gopher football in any way should be ashamed to acknowledge the fact that we were co-champs of the division last season. The fact that some fans are is just sad.

If you were talking about the gophers in your post you are really bad at English. Did you graduate from Nebraska ?
Very tough for me to believe you're that bad at comprehension, so it leads me to believe you're just being dishonest at this point.

Your post:
Nor Iowa
Nor auburn
Nor Utah

My response:
They don't.

Beyond obvious, crystal clear, what my post meant:
They (Penn St/Wisc/Iowa/Auburn/Utah) don't (care what we do).

But I do (care what we do). Apparently other Gopher fans, as well (care what we do).

There are some in here that seem to view the Co-Championship trophy as being on par with the participation medal your kid gets for just showing up regardless of how well they do. Apparently division championships are so common around here that we should only count them if we win them outright. Your last paragraph nails it. If anyone associated with the program was acting like we had reached the pinnacle because we were co-champs of the division that would be a different story.

But not one person associated with Gopher football in any way should be ashamed to acknowledge the fact that we were co-champs of the division last season. The fact that some fans are is just sad.
No one was arguing against this, in the slightest.

Nice strawman. No surprise, it's the internet. That's what the internet does.

90% of posters in this thread are (purposefully) misframing the actual argument being made by a few.

So let's make it crystal clear.

The argument being made by a few is NOT any of the following:
- Gophers should reject/throw away/hide/not display the trophy that was delivered
- should or should not do something based on what other teams in the conference do themselves
- should or should not do something based on what other teams in the conference think about us doing it
- the Big Ten didn't understand its own rules and mistakenly sent a trophy

The argument being made is the following:
- a team that ties in the division for best conference record, but loses the tie-breakers - especially by losing the head-to-head game - and therefore does not represent the division in the conf championship game, doesn't deserve any kind of acknowledgement and doesn't deserve to be recognized as co-division champs. The Big Ten is wrong to do otherwise.

Good grief message boards are silly.

And many of us disagree 100% with that take. Wisconsin finished 7-2 in the division and we finished 7-2 in the division. The season may be defined by you and some others by the results of the one game but it doesn't change the fact that both Minnesota and Wisconsin beat 7 of the 9 conference teams they faced and therefore tied for the best record in the West.

You don't have to like it but the Big Ten isn't the only conference out there that acknowledges co-champions.

And many of us disagree 100% with that take. Wisconsin finished 7-2 in the division and we finished 7-2 in the division. The season may be defined by you and some others by the results of the one game but it doesn't change the fact that both Minnesota and Wisconsin beat 7 of the 9 conference teams they faced and therefore tied for the best record in the West.

You don't have to like it but the Big Ten isn't the only conference out there that acknowledges co-champions.
This response is perfectly fine. It actually addresses what was actually being argued.

All the other twisting/purposefully misframing/misunderstanding of what was actually being argued, is tiresome.

Very tough for me to believe you're that bad at comprehension, so it leads me to believe you're just being dishonest at this point.

Your post:

My response:

Beyond obvious, crystal clear, what my post meant:
They (Penn St/Wisc/Iowa/Auburn/Utah) don't (care what we do).

But I do (care what we do). Apparently other Gopher fans, as well (care what we do).
You’re bad at English

nobody cares

You and two other people caring doesn’t mean gopher fans care

You’re bad at English

nobody cares

It was your fault for poor comprehension.

The three of us are Gophers fans, plural. Don’t care if you don’t like our opinion, you’re entitled to your own.

You’re bad at English

nobody cares

What, specifically, was wrong with his English? Reading his response to your post it seems clear to me what he was saying.

What, specifically, was wrong with his English? Reading his response to your post it seems clear to me what he was saying.
I said gopher fans don’t care what other team claim for championships

He said he cares

then tries to imply he meant he cares what we do...when the thing he was responding to had nothing to do with gopher claims.

And then he said I have bad comprehension
Nor Iowa
Nor auburn
Nor Utah

They don't.

This shouldn’t be hard.

so he says that he cares what titles all those other teams claim

then says he never said that he actually said “we care what we do”

Then claims it is me who has comprehension issues.

it’s fine.
I’m not mad at him

It could be his English is fine and he was actually not responding to the primary message of my post but responding to the secondary message of my post. In which case it’s a message board miscommunication.
Doesn’t matter either way.

Nobody cares who claims what

I said gopher fans don’t care what other team claim for championships

He said he cares

then tries to imply he meant he cares what we do...when the thing he was responding to had nothing to do with gopher claims.

And then he said I have bad comprehension

so he says that he cares what titles all those other teams claim

then says he never said that he actually said “we care what we do”

Then claims it is me who has comprehension issues.

it’s fine.
I’m not mad at him

It could be his English is fine and he was actually not responding to the primary message of my post but responding to the secondary message of my post. In which case it’s a message board miscommunication.
Doesn’t matter either way.

Nobody cares who claims what
So you ended your post with:
To which, they started their response with:
They don't.
Which is obviously them responding to your question, given the context. They then continued:
Now, the presence of the word "But" means it is a contradiction of whatever statement or thought proceeded it. I don't see how that can be interpreted any other way.

I didn’t use perfect grammar. It’s just my style of writing.

But you exactly described what I meant. Which to me means it’s not that hard to decipher.

And yet you live on one constantly posting.
We all do despite the fact that we get upset from time to time. I know I have to step away from time to time as the board can bring the worst out of me as to responses.

We all do despite the fact that we get upset from time to time. I know I have to step away from time to time as the board can bring the worst out of me as to responses.
Yes, I will attest to that for myself as well. I am far, far from a perfect poster. I've recently decided to quit the OTB board here.

At some point we all have to come to grips, in our own ways, that the things we take time to write on here, no matter how fair or well written, aren't likely to been read by anyone with actual influence or actual decision making powers. And most of us here are highly, staunchly opinionated, one way or another, so getting someone to change their minds on something is a "few and far between".

Yes, I will attest to that for myself as well. I am far, far from a perfect poster. I've recently decided to quit the OTB board here.

At some point we all have to come to grips, in our own ways, that the things we take time to write on here, no matter how fair or well written, aren't likely to been read by anyone with actual influence or actual decision making powers. And most of us here are highly, staunchly opinionated, one way or another, so getting someone to change their minds on something is a "few and far between".
So true. And to think some people resort to name calling over opinions, information, insights.

Top Bottom