Greder: This was supposed to be the year...Will Fleck’s commitment evolve, or even change, this week?

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

This was supposed to be the year.

The Gophers football team was veteran-laded and had internal expectations to contend for the Big Ten West division title. They rallied around “unfinished business” and had players come back for sixth and even seventh seasons.

Go Gophers!!

“Fewest pass attempts in the nation outside of the service academies”, by a guy who prides himself in recruiting and wide receiver expertise. Hmm 🤔 I wonder why he would do that? Any guesses? I guess it’s because we don’t have any wide receivers or QB’s good enough to pass the ball in the Big Ten. Must not have recruited well enough. What!? You say he’s recruited the best classes in school history the last few years? Must be a different reason then.

Last edited:

When was this supposed to be the year?
I’m not sure this was supposed to be the year. Not sure anyone picked Minnesota higher than 3rd in the west. What place are we in?

I’m not sure this was supposed to be the year. Not sure anyone picked Minnesota higher than 3rd in the west. What place are we in?
As someone who enjoys PJ, which of the 200 times he told you he was expecting a special season, best team he's ever coached, most depth and experienced team ever, really, really special kids .... on and on....how did you miss all that?
Not suggesting anyone else said we'd good but one million per cent our coach told us we would be good this season.

As someone who enjoys PJ, which of the 200 times he told you he was expecting a special season, best team he's ever coached, most depth and experienced team ever, really, really special kids .... on and on....how did you miss all that?
Not suggesting anyone else said we'd good but one million per cent our coach told us we would be good this season.
He never said it was the best team he has ever coached. Why are you making stuff up?

He never said it was the best team he has ever coached. Why are you making stuff up?
okay, sorry..the chance to become the best team I've ever worked with....better? All of a sudden you know everything he said??? to refute your own BS that we were always expecting a mediocre season?

okay, sorry..the chance to become the best team I've ever worked with....better? All of a sudden you know everything he said??? to refute your own BS that we were always expecting a mediocre season?
Third in the west isn’t a mediocre season.
Were you honestly expecting us to win the division after week 1? If you were you must think really low of Mo Ibrahim, Iowa, and wisconsin

Problem is with the abject stubborness of our coaching staff, including Mr. Fleck

Were you honestly expecting us to win the division after week 1? If you were you must think really low of Mo Ibrahim, Iowa, and wisconsin
#1. YES, 3rd in the West is mediocre but we will finish 4th.
#2. Yes, I was expecting us to win the West after week 1. Never will we have this many experienced players at any time in the future. I believed in what PJ told us he saw in meetings and practices evaluating his players.
#3. Mo is awesome but we have the most experienced line in all of football. We have been able to pretty much not skip a beat in our running game.
#4. If PJ is going to beat Iowa, this was the year.
#5. Beginning of the season Wisconsin was very shaky...they keep getting better and we keep finding ways not to score.
#6. You didn't think we could beat Wisconsin after week 1. I know we are capable of beating Wisconsin after watching us play 10 weeks. Will we? Not from the coaching decisions to date.

We still have a chance to finish fourth. It must feel like one of the biggest accomplishments for the team. If the team cannot accomplish anything memorable with this amount of seniors on the team, I am not sure when we will see a real good season again. 1-9 against Iowa and Wisconsin? 1- 10 coming? Add in BG and Illinois with first-year HC who was hired in the middle of the pandemic and have to assemble the team amidst the chaos. That BG team is dead last in MAC east with a (1-5) record. The only team, they beat this year that might garner some respect is Purdue.

excuse maker.......^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

excuse maker.......^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Excuse for what?
Team isn’t good enough to contend this year, that’s on the coaches for not having enough depth at wideout this year. Hopefully we are better next year:

coaching staff had horrible game plans against BGSU and Illinois. Hopefully we don’t do that again next year.

Disappointing season. Would’ve been a disappointing season even at 9-3 with a west title because not showing up for 2 games costs the team the rose bowl.

We still have a chance to finish fourth. It must feel like one of the biggest accomplishments for the team. If the team cannot accomplish anything memorable with this amount of seniors on the team, I am not sure when we will see a real good season again. 1-9 against Iowa and Wisconsin? 1- 10 coming? Add in BG and Illinois with first-year HC who was hired in the middle of the pandemic and have to assemble the team amidst the chaos. That BG team is dead last in MAC east with a (1-5) record. The only team, they beat this year that might garner some respect is Purdue.
It’s been a disappointing season for sure.
I’ve been saying that for 5 weeks. You got me though. Good job.

That comment that Fleck made about catch radius has to be one of the dumbest things he has said in his five years here.....
TJ, who had incredible leaping ability, hauled in a number of high passes (climbing the ladder) that most WRs couldn't get to ... TJ and Bateman both had extraordinary ability to adjust on badly thrown balls. They were exceptional, not the expected.

In Fleck's defense, he was just exaggerating to try and bump tix sales ahead of his agent seeking the extension.

I do knot know that anyone clearly stated "That this was the year" but Fleck made statements about this being his best team since he came to MN.
A look at the depth chart right now shows on #1 offense the following positions are filled with seniors: WR, LT, LG, OC, RG, RT, TE, QB.
On defense : DE, DE, DT, Mike, WILL, CBB, PR.
In #2 there are seven seniors on offense and defense.
The SOS this year is to date 57th in the country.
Unless Fleck hasrecruited lights out to fill in the gaps and the schedule computer again blesses him, this is MN's best chance in four years to win the West.

“Fewest pass attempts in the nation outside of the service academies”, by a guy who prides himself in recruiting and wide receiver expertise. Hmm 🤔 I wonder why he would do that? Any guesses? I guess it’s because we don’t have any wide receivers or QB’s good enough to pass the ball in the Big Ten. Must not have recruited well enough. What!? You say he’s recruited the best classes in school history the last few years? Must be a different reason then.
He wants to road grade his way into the Big Ten West title and got away from whatever they were doing that was successful.

They have to fix Tanner Morgan and the pass protection. The wide receivers are not syncing with the QB.

Top Bottom