Greatest Williams Arena Memories

maliksealy

Reaction score
Just was curious if anyone cared to share their greatest Williams Arena memories of all-time.

Mine was probably when Voshon Lenard led a three-point shooting barrage when the Gophers crushed Indiana scoring over 100 points in 93 or 94.

I haven't been around for the true glory years, but my favorite was when Vince Grier outscored Wisconsin in the second half.

I don't even know where to start...in no particular order:

- The welcome home celebration at The Barn after we beat UCLA in the Elite 8. The placed was filled to the rafters hours before the team arrived, helicopters follwed the team from the sky to The Barn, the chants of "BEAT KENTUCKY" still hurt my ears, the older gentleman (probably in his late 70s/early 80s) sitting next to me all by himself with tears running down his face...

- The Indiana win in 97 at home the game where we received the BT trophy, Goldy and JT were dancing together at half court.

- The Cinci game in 98. Even though we lost, it was so fricking LOUD!

- The game where we beat Bobby Knight by 51 points, Vo could do no wrong, etc.

- Beating a top ranked Illini team with the group that turned the program around (Willie, Coffey, Shik, Newborn, etc.) That game was THE moment that we knew an incredible turnaround had been made.

- Grier's performance in the second half against UW...Monson totally outcoached Bo Ryan that game as Ryan oddly left Reedsburg's finest (Clayton Hanson) on Grier as he put on a show.

- The first time the 80s version of our Iron Five hit the floor at Williams. The standing ovation was spine tingling.

- The Cornell game earlier this year...this may be the best moment I've ever had in The Barn as I took my son to the his first Gopher game and it will hopefully be the start to a lifetime of memories as it has been for my Dad and I in that magical place we call The Barn.

Go Gophers!!

Great Memories

I was at that Grier game against Wisconsin when he just unleashed. That was an awesome day. I also have fond memories of the Indiana blow out game and all the games in the final four run (however, I didn't see the Indiana game in person or make the final four party at the Barn).

My favorite Williams Arena memory of all time has to be Kevin McHale's last home game when Dutcher took him out and the crowd just kept chanting "We Want McHale" until he put him back in. It was fun.

Personally, mine would be the win over Iowa during the 1988-1989 season. The Gophers were still considered to be "down" due to the scandal Haslkins inherited and the Hawkeyes were a top 5 team led by Roy Marble and B.J. Armstrong.

They came into the barn undefeated after having just won a tough road game at North Carolina and promptly took a 17-point lead at halftime. Then, Burton, Newbern and Shikenjanski helped lead the Gophers back in the second half, before Shik's tip in during the final seconds gave the Gophers an 80-78 lead.

Iowa got one last shot off and Marble made a three-pointer that had apparently given the Hawkeyes the win, but the refs waved it off, giving the Gophers the victory.

The place went nuts that day and I was supposed to go to the Illinois game later that same season, but I came down with a case of influenza and couldn't make it...that turned out to be the game when the Gophers upset the top-ranked Illini. :eek:

You bring some awesome memories guys. It's the memories of what was that sustained me and many others through the past few years and kept us coming back. Now that Tubby is here new and exciting memories will join the glories of the past.

I started going to Gopher games on a regular basis as a student during the Bill Fitch, Geroge Hanson era. The students sat upstairs on a first come first served basis. The Barn was rarely full during those years so getting in the front row of the second deck (the best a student could hope for) only required getting their a half hour early or so. The games were fun and very competitive but nothing like some of the "old timers" said it use to be like when we had Lou Hudson et al.

Then we hired Bill Mussleman and the world turned upside down. He brought in the pregame show that we student thought was the coolest thing in the history of the world. Once we figured out that this was not going to be Gopher basketball as usual the word got out. No more front row seats. We had to get to Williams a minimum of three hours before the warm-up time if you wanted even close to front row. All of a sudden all that mattered was getting into the Barn.

The place would be literally full an hour before game time with the crowd chanting and clapping for the Gophers long before they came onto the floor. Then when they did the crowd would erupt in a frenzy. Remember the place held 18,000 at that time. When Sweet Georgia Brown started up the crowd settled in for the show.

I remember reading in Sports Illustrated, after the Ohio State/ Gopher brawl, about what an insanely hostile atmosphere the Barn was to a visiting team and that something had to be done to tone it down. They blamed the brawl in part on the crowd. The visitors would be sitting in their locker room listening to what was going on upstairs on the floor and it had to be a bit disconcerting.

We finished first in the Big Ten (the first time since 1937) that year even after Ron Behagen and Corky Taylor were banned for the season. Mussleman found Dave Winfield playing Intramurals for the "Soulful Strutters" and asked him to join the squad. He did and the rest is History.

I bought regular Season Tickets the next year having graduated and have been in love with the Barn ever since.

marquette NIT game

does anyone remember the marquette NIT game in '98? I remember watching it on ESPN...it looked bonkers at Williams

does anyone remember the marquette NIT game in '98? I remember watching it on ESPN...it looked bonkers at Williams

I was there and it was one of the roudiest games I've been to, and NIT no less. Not sure what it was but the students were going nuts and everyone joined in. The court rushing was a little unnecessary, but it was the logical end point to the game.

I got a media credential for the Grier vs Wisconsin game. Was in the front row!

Dowing Indiana and Bobby Knight by 51. Was three rows behind visitor bench. Not great seats, but sitting 15 feet from Bobby's worst defeat ever was worth it.

Beating the Fab 5 (minus webber - injured) during their final four year.

Going way back, 1978 vs MSU.

Watching Magic when he was known as Earvin (Magic) Johnson was great.

I was at the Barn when our "lowly" Gophers snoosed the Michigan "Fab 5". I was at the Barn for the final Big 10 Title game versus Ohio State, and WE WON!!! (70's sometime) My young son was with me, he is now 41, and we still talk about the Electricity of the Barn.

Ordinary, average people don't complain about 3rd row seats.

Sitting directly behind the players bench should be considered obstructed seats with the coaches and players always up in front of you and the press box between you and the far end and the 5 centarians that yelp if stand up.

I much prefer the second deck at the barn.

That said, I wasn't complaining, just reporting.

I have not been to that many, but I enjoyed last season Ohio State game tremendously. I really hope to be there when we beat Wisconsin and Illinois at the Barn one of these days.

Personally, mine would be the win over Iowa during the 1988-1989 season.

That's mine as well. It was the first Gopher game I had ever been to. I was 13 years old sitting with my brother in the middle of the student section. It is one of the best memories of my life. I also got to go to the Michigan game that year. By that time, it was clear we would beat anyone that came to the barn (They won the National Championship that year).

Thanks for the memories. I didn't remember all the specifics you mentioned.

Lots of good ones

Unfortunately, consistant attendance at home has only dated back to 98 for me..with a few random games thrown in before.

I would say the Cinni game was awesome..yeah a loss, but the most electric atmosphere at the barn I have ever experienced.

Two Oregon games. Pryz's first game (Clem) when he totally threw back some Oregon stiff 4 consecutive times (it felt like 4 or 5) under the basket. This was at the student end..so the place went nuts. Rickert's game against Oregon when he blew up for about 20 points or so, including a crazy baseline drive and dunk that lit the crowd up.

The Grier / Wisky game was the loudest I have ever experienced during the Monson era.

WilliamsArenaGuy,

Glad you were there as well. I also happened to be there for the Michigan game that year and I think that was one of the Wolverines final losses that season. That was also a great game and watching Burton and Newbern go up against Glen Rice and Rumeal Robinson was a real treat!!:)

Top Bottom