Greatest Gopher Collapses at Metrodome

((Note to self. STOP clicking on this thread.)):cry:
In the same boat, but keep clicking on it anyway to see people dwelling on the same defeats from the past over and over and over and over and over and over again. Amazing how fast our fans are willing to dive into rehashing painful memories from the past.

Guarantee a thread about great victories would get a third of the traffic because it would be far too positive.

It was in 2002 when the Iowa fans tore down the goalposts. That was the day they clinched a share of the Big Ten. 2008 was the 55-donut game. The goalposts remained upright after that one.
Thanks. All those horrid experiences run together.

In the same boat, but keep clicking on it anyway to see people dwelling on the same defeats from the past over and over and over and over and over and over again. Amazing how fast our fans are willing to dive into rehashing painful memories from the past.

Guarantee a thread about great victories would get a third of the traffic because it would be far too positive.
I think it's in the book how be Minnesotan.

Is there a comparable list of great comeback victories? I don't disagree with your underlying point about the negativity, but as a fanbase, it seems like we have more options (or at least more colorful options) when listing catastrophes vs triumphs.

I blew a blood vessel in my eyeball during that Michigan game.

We win that game and we go to the Rose Bowl as Big Ten champs and everything is different.

Brutal loss. That was the 2nd best Gopher team of my lifetime. So close to Rose Bowl. Although they did miss Ohio State & Purdue who finished 2nd & 3rd in the conference that year. And the 4th place team, Iowa, took the Gophers to the woodshed in the season finale.

Sitting through every minute of every Dome game during the 1982 & 1983 seasons pretty well inoculated me from these silly little one game collapses.

When you witness a program curl up and nearly die, over the course of two seasons, because they were forced into an alien, artificial and controlled environment, then these single game epileptic seizures become trivial.

I swear the forum is busier after losses and surprisingly quiet after wins.

I swear the forum is busier after losses and surprisingly quiet after wins.
But that makes sense. People will always be more vocal when there is something to complain about and second guess.

But this thread....this is a whole different form of negativity. A random thread rehashing painful defeats for no apparent reason at all....someone here decided to just toss a grenade into the forum and then just walk away. I don't even think the person that started the thread has even replied to the monster they created.

We have a lot of fans that need to let go of the past and move on. There is a lot of time spent on this board dwelling on past loses or past coaches. Hell we still have fans terrified of having their head coach poached because Holtz left for Notre Dame around 40 years ago.

But that makes sense. People will always be more vocal when there is something to complain about and second guess.

But this thread....this is a whole different form of negativity. A random thread rehashing painful defeats for no apparent reason at all....someone here decided to just toss a grenade into the forum and then just walk away. I don't even think the person that started the thread has even replied to the monster they created.

We have a lot of fans that need to let go of the past and move on. There is a lot of time spent on this board dwelling on past loses or past coaches. Hell we still have fans terrified of having their head coach poached because Holtz left for Notre Dame around 40 years ago.
Fear of coaches being poached is my favorite gopher fan pathology. I believe I remember there being concerns about Monson, Mason, Brewster, Tubby, Pitino, and Kill leaving here for "better" jobs. 5 of those 6 were fired for performance, and the 6th resigned because of health reasons.

Maybe we are getting over it though, haven't seen those fears expressed about Ben Johnson yet.

It was in 2002 when the Iowa fans tore down the goalposts. That was the day they clinched a share of the Big Ten. 2008 was the 55-donut game. The goalposts remained upright after that one.
As the definition of "collapse" is to "fall down or give way," was that game a collapse? When we did similar to the Hawks during Kill's tenure, they at least put up some points.

The Billds were there too and this was probably the seeds of the Bitter End Club because you had to have stayed to see what the Hawks did at the end.

As for this thread, this seems to cover it...

1671288905435.png1671288985044.png

That's true of every sport. Vikngs call-in shows are much busier after they loose.
Can you imagine the Vikings call-in show in about 90 minutes --- oh man is this going to be bad!!!!

Can you imagine the Vikings call-in show in about 90 minutes --- oh man is this going to be bad!!!!
lol....this didn't age well.....call in show was probably much different then it would have been at the end of the first half.

lol....this didn't age well.....call in show was probably much different then it would have been at the end of the first half.
wow!!!!! that was pretty incredible! Kind of nice to be on the OTHER side of one of those!!!

I don't know how it isn't '03 Michigan and '05 Wisconsin.

03 Michigan was so important to the trajectory of the program and we straight up dominated them for a majority of the game.

05 Wisconsin because it was Wisconsin and the way we lost. Total fluke.

Those two are the most memorable "I remember where I was when..." games that you just won't ever forget.

I only got to experience one season at the dome as a freshman, but it got capped really well with the NW, Michigan, and Iowa games.

April 12, 2014 The Gopher Men's Hockey Team had a 1-0 and 2-1 leads before losing 7-4 to Mount Union, a college with an enrollment of 2,200 in Schenectady, NY.

It was Union's first national sports crown in any sport since a lacrosse title in 1929

Brutal, just absolutely brutal. Even if it wasn't at the Metrodome.

OSU ‘89
NW ‘00
PU ‘01
MI ‘03
WI ‘05

Ah, those were the days…..
I have the unfortunate distinction of attending all those games except the '89 game. The best Gopher comeback in a game I attended might have been in 1995. They came back in the 2nd half from maybe a 21-0 deficient and won 39-38. That was one of the 1st Gopher games, of over 100 now, that I attended. It was quite a thrill, although both teams were terrible, no defense at all.

April 12, 2014 The Gopher Men's Hockey Team had a 1-0 and 2-1 leads before losing 7-4 to Mount Union, a college with an enrollment of 2,200 in Schenectady, NY.

It was Union's first national sports crown in any sport since a lacrosse title in 1929

Brutal, just absolutely brutal. Even if it wasn't at the Metrodome.
Not really. Union was loaded that year. Bunch of Canadian kids, with an average age of something like 25. I think they were rated #1 for much of the season. That was a really good team.

Not really. Union was loaded that year. Bunch of Canadian kids, with an average age of something like 25. I think they were rated #1 for much of the season. That was a really good team.

Losing 7-4 in the National Championship Game against a school that hadn't ever won a national title, after giving up a lead doesn't count because the team was good? If that's the criteria then Gopher Football losses against higher ranked or better teams shouldn't count either, but looking at this list they certainly do.

Double edged sword for Gopher Hockey Fans. Statewide far fewer people pay attention and since they usually have a lot of talent, that doesn't seem right.

Of course when they bounced out of the Tourney, or when they lose to lesser teams they don't get a lot of heat either.

But boy they do show-up to whine about and mock the Football team. Not on the level of the NDSU, Iowa or Sconnie trolls but they do show-up

Last edited:

I'm looking to see if anyone remembers an article written around 2009 that detailed the worst gopher games at the metrodome. My memory is that it was a reussian piece, but I cant find it through googling.

See list below

Last edited:

I'm looking to see if anyone remembers an article written around 2009 that detailed the worst gopher games at the metrodome. My memory is that it was a reussian piece, but I cant find it through googling.

The article was written in Nov 2008 (the final month of playing in the Metrodome), and was just a fun recap of the Gophers 27 years playing there. There was both a best & worst games list, along with an all-Metrodome Gopher team.

Worst:

10. September 9, 2000: Ohio University 23 – Minnesota 17
9. October 20, 2007: North Dakota State 27 – Minnesota 21
8. November 1, 2008: Northwestern 24 – Minnesota 17
7. September 29, 2001: Purdue 35 – Minnesota 28 OT
6. October 15, 2005: Wisconsin 38 – Minnesota 34
5. October 28, 2000: Northwestern 41 – Minnesota 35
4. September 8, 1990: Utah 35 – Minnesota 29
3. October 28, 1989: Ohio State 41 – Minnesota 37.
2. October 10, 2003: Michigan 38 – Minnesota 35.
1. September 17, 1983: Nebraska 84 – Minnesota 13

Best:

10. November 21, 1998: Minnesota 49 – Iowa 7
9. November 17, 1984: Minnesota 23 – Iowa 17
8. October 24, 1998: Minnesota 19 – Michigan State 18
7. November 8, 2003: Minnesota 37 – Wisconsin 34
6. October 7, 1995: Minnesota 39 – Purdue 38
5. September 24, 2005: Minnesota 42 – Purdue 35 (2 OTs)
4. September 21, 1996: Minnesota 35 – Syracuse 33
3. October 9, 1993: Minnesota 59 – Purdue 56
2. November 24, 1990: Minnesota 31 – Iowa 24
1. October 23, 1993: Minnesota 28 – Wisconsin 21

Losing 7-4 in the National Championship Game against a school that hadn't ever won a national title, after giving up a lead doesn't count because the team was good? If that's the criteria then Gopher Football losses against higher ranked or better teams shouldn't count either, but looking at this list they certainly do.

Double edged sword for Gopher Hockey Fans. Statewide far fewer people pay attention and since they usually have a lot of talent, that doesn't seem right.

Of course when they bounced out of the Tourney, or when they lose to lesser teams they don't get a lot of heat either.

But boy they do show-up to whine about and mock the Football team. Not on the level of the NDSU, Iowa or Sconnie trolls but they do show-up
Not even close. I think our biggest lead was one goal. A loss after "blowing" a one goal lead is hardly a collapse. especially if it's against a good team. If you want a hockey loss that is comparable, look at the loss to Holy Cross. The football collapses people remember are just that... collapses. If you want to look at losses against bad teams, that is another discussion. I remember when the football team lost to Pacific. It was not a collapse though. As for Union, a loss to a very good team, after "blowing" a one goal lead is not in the same stratosphere.

Live in the now.

Not even close. I think our biggest lead was oe goal. A loss after "blowing" a one goal lead is hardly a collapse. especially if it's against a good team. If you want a hockey loss that is comparable, look at the loss to Holy Cross. The football collapses people remember are just that... collapses. If you want to look at losses against bad teams, that is another discussion. I remember when the football team lost to Pacific. It was not a collapse though.

Yeah, Holy Cross was another tough loss. Unlike many of the Gopher Hockey fans on here, I follow and cheer for the hockey team(s) too. Reusse loves to point to that Holy Cross game.. But that game was tied 3-3 in regulation and the Gophers lost in O.T.

Though you seemed to miss the part where they gave up 7 goals to Mount Union in a championship game. Average score would be about 4-2?

In '16 the average College Football team got 30.4 points at game. So that would mean in a Championship game, the Gophers gave up the equivalent of about 50 points. In the National Championship game.

The Gopher team, at least its Defense, collapsed. They had a 1 goal lead twice and then they gave-up 6 more goals. Even that empty net goal counts 'cuz if they wouldn't have given up the other 6 Union would have never have gotten the opportunity!

Now go back and take all those "collapses" against Michigan, Nebraska and any other Top 20 team out of here. Then it's more of an apples to apples comparison.

Or hold the Hockey team to the same standards one would hold a perennial top 10-15 Football team to. Unlike the Football team, the Hockey team is in a hotbed of talent and, on the mind at least, of many good recruits. Until relatively recently they got to pick their recruits, not the other way around.

That means that Gopher Hockey team should be held to much higher standards than the football team, not the other way around.

Last edited:

Suffering more with defeats than rejoicing with victories are the same emotions that most people have about the stock market.
When it goes down some people despair and when it goes up people are mildly happy.
Just human nature.

Was it though? I think it was only proof how much more Surly Brewing products they can sell.

Top Bottom